Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-26-2018, 02:21 PM   #31
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
I'm talking about actual tax payer subsidies to the postal service. You, and Mr. Shapiro are talking about advantages. None of those are actual monetary payments, but lets look at each of his claims.

Laws that ban any other shipping service from delivering letters and packages directly to and residential and business mailboxes.
This true only if you use the word mailboxes rather than addresses. UPS cannot put a package in your mailbox, but it can leave it between your screen door and your door; it can leave it on your porch; it can ring your door bell. UPS and FedEx can both deliver time sensitive letters to your address. The only thing they cannot do is deliver regular mail.

Also, where does Shapiro get this $14b figure? Besides out of his rectum.
And why is his estimate any more accurate than the one made by the Postal Regulatory Commission. In case you don't know, the PRC is not particularly friendly to USPS. Maybe the reason USPS productivity gains are 0.7% compared to 2.5% for the others is because USPS is more efficient to begin with.

Tax Breaks. USPS is exempt from local property and real estate taxes as well as other taxes and fees.
Correct. All federal properties are. You've heard of the Constitution, right? You've heard of McCullough v Madison? That's the one that gives us the dictum, "The power to tax involves the power to destroy." The federal government and any of its aspects can not be subject to the whims of it's inferiors.

A word about parking tickets and other traffic violations. A postal truck will not get a parking ticket for parking in a no parking zone while delivering packages or picking up from a collection box; neither will a UPS or FedEx truck. This is a matter of law, but were it not the police are going to look the other way as long as you do not abuse the situation.

While it is true that postal vehicles can not be charged with traffic violation by local authorities, it is also true that every postal driver is strictly instructed to obey all traffic laws and if you die in a traffic accident, you stay dead.

A story that will upset you greatly. I was on my way home from work in my private vehicle. I was still in the town in which the PO I work at was located.

I had taken a different route home because I needed to stop at a store. Somehow I missed a stop sign and was pulled over. The cop who pulled me over had a reputation locally as a real hard nose. He was about to write the ticket when he looked at me and said, "Where do I know you from?" I told him that I was the window clerk at the Post Office and that he often came in there. He said oh yeah and told me to be more careful in the future.

Finally this nonsense about you go the Post Office once and again, Likes this proves anything. Do you go to the Post Office at three in the morning and watch them unload forty and fifty pound sacks from trucks. Do you watch them sort eighteen letters and eight flats a minute for two or three hours straight. You don't even know what a flat is. Do you walk with them five or six hours a day in freezing cold, blistering heat, pouring rain or snow.

TELL ME. WHAT DO YOU DO? WHAT IS YOUR JOB THAT GIVES YOU THE RIGHT TO JUDGE OTHERS? I eagerly await your reply but I don't expect I will ever get it.

ETA: I do all my grocery shopping at the same locally owned store. Sometimes I go in their and the checkout ladies are standing at their registers just waiting for the next customer. I never think that they are lazy bums stealing their pay checks. I understand that there will be many times when they will be extremely busy.

The difference is I don't need to put someone else to feel good about mayself
That was an awfully circuitous and windy non sequitur just to say, "I was wrong". You could have just typed, "interesting" and it would have sufficed. I do not expect you to be correct very often, so please do not stress trying to hide your ignorance. I care for the well being of the very senior among us.

Last edited by tucker6; 04-26-2018 at 02:23 PM.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2018, 02:52 PM   #32
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
That was an awfully circuitous and windy non sequitur just to say, "I was wrong". You could have just typed, "interesting" and it would have sufficed. I do not expect you to be correct very often, so please do not stress trying to hide your ignorance. I care for the well being of the very senior among us.
That is a noble and worthwhile profession. It makes me wonder why you espouse a political philosophy that is so at odds with what you do. Conservatives are constantly trying to cut funding to any types of social services. They are constantly trying to undermine the Social Security that many of your seniors rely on. Why do you support the policies that seek to hurt the very people you are trying to help? It is time for you to really use your mind to rethink your political beliefs.

As for the rest of your comment-the part which I did not BOLD-I did not say I was wrong at all. Read it again.
Old 04-26-2018, 04:15 PM   #33
wisconsin

Quote:
if I come in to your dealership or any dealership and find five or six sales persons standing around gossiping, should I assume you are all ne'er do wells?

The sales staff makes their own situation. We are commission based earners. If you are lazy or a jerk, you won't make any money.

The post office clerk, on the other hand, is considered to be a gravy job by many. I am not insinuating you never worked hard for what you get, but too often with union workers, you get what I described. Gas station clerks, and others you mentioned, are not making $20 an hour, either.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:04 PM   #34
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
And stop with the "earned' comments. I go to the post office every now and again, and you guys certainly do NOT earn what you make.
You sound like every Republican/conservative out there. We get it. You expect mail to be delivered tomorrow and the roads to be smooth as silk but you will bitch all day about 50 cent stamps and the gas tax used to maintain the roads you use.

There is a another word for people who believe they are owed something but don't want to pay for it.

No, it's not freeloader. It's moocher.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:28 PM   #35
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks View Post
You sound like every Republican/conservative out there. We get it. You expect mail to be delivered tomorrow and the roads to be smooth as silk but you will bitch all day about 50 cent stamps and the gas tax used to maintain the roads you use.

There is a another word for people who believe they are owed something but don't want to pay for it.

Actually, I'd like to do away with the quaintness of a post office. Do they still have horse posts outside? Honestly, 84% of homes have both a smartphone and a computer. Both can perform almost any transaction or communication you desire. Should US taxpayers subsidize that last 16% to the tune of $18B annually? No. Hell, it would be cheaper to buy that last 16% a computer or smartphone and close the damned post office once and for all.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2018, 07:47 PM   #36
woodtoo

This would totally destroy the mailbox industry with no place to put the pink slips.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-27-2018, 07:58 PM   #37
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks View Post

The only problem I have with the Post Office is the ridiculous pay and benefits the workers get compared to what a similar skilled job in the private sector pays. Also they need to get rid of the poor standards workers are held to. I visit quite a few small rural Post Offices depending on which way my daily errands take me when I need to drop off a package. They commonly are staffed by 2-5 people and the customer service varies wildly from one to the next. The worst Post Office is unfortunately the closest to me. The lady who has worked the counter in the 7 years I have been here is about the most lazy uninformed worker I have ever encountered, yet she still has a job. 95% of the time she is found sitting at a desk talking on the phone. Fortunately I prepay postage on the internet so I don't have to disturb her. The time I do have a question 95% of the time the answer is "I don't know." It is common knowledge how bad she is if you mention her to staff at other local Post Offices.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2022, 01:48 AM   #38
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

MoPo's Words Don't Age Well....LOL

Quote:
Dear Emmanuel Macron, Would you be our President too?
Sincerely,
America
So tanks roll again in Paris, but it’s not the Germans.. It’s France’s military against its own citizens.

Last edited by ReplayRandall; 02-16-2022 at 01:51 AM.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2022, 02:21 AM   #39
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Dear mostpost:

Old 02-16-2022, 02:43 PM   #40
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
So tanks roll again in Paris, but it’s not the Germans.. It’s France’s military against its own citizens.

https://twitter.com/NewGranada1979/s...58265972346880
mostpost

Some people have NO idea how damned clueless they are.
Old 02-16-2022, 02:57 PM   #41
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
I'm confused.

Where will they RETREAT to?
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-16-2022, 04:59 PM   #42
woodtoo

Quote:

I expect to see them in Ottawa any day now.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:56 PM   #43
mostpost

Quote:

That video is seven months old. It has nothing to do with any protests. Have you ever heard of Bastille Day? Those tanks and other military personnel were being staged for a Bastille Day parade.

There are reports of protest convoy entering Paris. There are no reports of Martial law. I realize you are just naive and gullible. The people who posted that video are liars and scoundrels.
Old 02-16-2022, 09:17 PM   #44
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

You Want More?.....No Problem.

Old 02-16-2022, 09:44 PM   #45
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

From A French Street Level View