Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #31
DJofSD
Screw PC

OK, thanks.

I'll fool around with the info I have and see what happens.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:11 PM   #32
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

I am excited that there are this many folks who use the PP Gen program.

BRIS guys told me they were looking into a web based set up for the future, but I think that idea may be dying on the vine. Which is okay because a web based set up will be a total nightmare on busy days.
Just hope some folks over there take notice and either update or create a new program similar to PP Generator.

It is fantastic
Old 06-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #33
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

When formulator went to a Web based product is when they lost me.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2014, 01:34 PM   #34
SpotPlays

It's a really good program and it's truly unbelievable that a company with that type of money will not keep the software up to date.

I hope they reconsider this decision.
SpotPlays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2014, 01:47 PM   #35
OverlayHunter

DJofSD - did you have any success with the dll location and registry?
OverlayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #36
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlayHunter
DJofSD - did you have any success with the dll location and registry?
No, at least not yet.

Copying VB5DB.DLL into SYSWOW64 then running the registration utility resulted in Windows telling me "...but the entry-point DllRegisterServer was not found."

I've been researching it but at this point I have to assume the problem when trying to run custompp.exe might not be what I thought it was. And, BTW, I also have a copy of the DLL in the same folder as the PP Gen program.

I do not know what file custompp.exe is looking for and assumed the DLL was it. I'll need to see if an entry in a log might tell me the specifics, or, have to dig deeper using a tool to figure it out.

P.S. Part of what I am researching is exactly what version of FoxPro was used to create the Custom PP Generator app. I don't know if it is Visual FoxPro or something prior to 9.0.

P.P.S. A page I am reading: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.80%29.aspx

Last edited by DJofSD; 06-10-2014 at 02:15 PM.
DJofSD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #37
DJofSD
Screw PC

Now, by looking at the executable, I am beginning to think it is a problem due to VB6 parts and pieces missing.

I found a page on one of the MS sites for the run time installables but now I'm finding problems getting that to do something.

And, this gentleman, is why I still have laptops with XP and Vista. I'll get back to this ASAP but no more for now.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:06 AM   #38
KyRacer

Although I have the Custom PP Generator running on my Winows 7 64 bit computer, I thought I would try to install it again in another folder. I had the same problem that SandyW had. Having tried a lot of installations, I may have found a solution. The problem is with the pp2b.tff font and not finishing the installation. Windows 7 doesn't seem to want to install it and hangs the program up. You have to install the fonts manually and then a full install and an upgrade install. I've inclosed the procedure in a pdf file and also attaching a folder with the 2 fonts in it. I called Bris and they said it was ok to attach the fonts. It worked for me. Maybe someone else can try it and let's know if it works.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BrisPPGeneratorInstall.pdf (101.1 KB, 67 views)
File Type: zip BrisFonts.zip (152.3 KB, 43 views)
KyRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2014, 11:40 AM   #39
DJofSD
Screw PC

I did not have any problem getting W7 to install the fonts. I used the 'run as administrator' option while using my admin account. The 2 font files are in the Fonts subfolder.

What I am experiencing is an error when starting custompp.exe . There is a pop up window with an error message.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2014-06-11 error message.jpg (15.8 KB, 161 views)
Old 06-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #40
DJofSD
Screw PC

I've been comparing items in the Windows system log on a Vista system where custompp.exe is running, and, my W7 64-bit system.

After learning a bit more about registry reflections then chasing down what is CTF and TIP, I have a request for those running custompp.exe on a W7 64-bit system without any problems.

I'm looking for an explanation about why I am seeing some differences between my two systems. One branch on the diagnostic tree implies some differences in the registry are missing due to Windows features not enabled/used. Unfortunately not enough specifics to help me determine if that is a part of the problem I have.

So, it the attachment is what I have at the moment. If those able to use custompp.exe would post what they have, and, for any item that has more than one sub-item, expand the tree before posting.

TIA

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Windows features .jpg (98.6 KB, 143 views)
Old 06-11-2014, 04:02 PM   #41
OverlayHunter

I might be able look at my Windows 7 machine Friday or this weekend.

Please understand that I'm working with way less than a full deck when it comes to these issues and I'm pretty sure that this question may no longer be pertinent but you've mentioned Foxpro a couple of times as the language you believe was used to create the BRIS custompp program. That may well be the absolute fact but I'm curious why in the BRIScust folder that gets set up at installation I see mdb files (I believe they are for Access) and see no dbf files which I'm certain were used by Foxpro through Version 9.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #42
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlayHunter
I might be able look at my Windows 7 machine Friday or this weekend.

Please understand that I'm working with way less than a full deck when it comes to these issues and I'm pretty sure that this question may no longer be pertinent but you've mentioned Foxpro a couple of times as the language you believe was used to create the BRIS custompp program. That may well be the absolute fact but I'm curious why in the BRIScust folder that gets set up at installation I see mdb files (I believe they are for Access) and see no dbf files which I'm certain were used by Foxpro through Version 9.
Whenever you can is good 'nuf -- THANKS.

FoxPro as the tool used is something I have carried around in my head for a long time. Exactly when and how I made that observation has been lost.

Access uses the same extension and file structure which derive from the old, old, dBase days. I'll dig up some more info about it later today.

Also, Access is lurking in the background of this custompp.exe stuff. It does use the MSJET40.DLL.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #43
KyRacer

DJofSD,

Sorry it didn't work for you. I was hoping that would solve the problem. My old installation that I've been using has to have the "Run as Administrator" box checked, probably because I installed it as Administrator. The new installation runs both with the box checked or unchecked.

Last night I deleted the fonts from the font folder and ran the custompp program to see what would happen and got a popup similar yours. Try right clicking on custompp and going to properties and try running both as Administrator and with the box unchecked. Don't forget to hit apply. Open your word processor and see if the pp2a and pp2b appear in the fonts drop down menu. Can you print with them?

When you tried the full installation (briscustppfull2400.exe), did it hang when it got to pp2b font or did it complete the installation? If it didn't hang and completed the installation, then it must be looking for a different file than the pp2b font. That would make me wonder why it hangs on me. If it completed did it leave a install.log file in the folder?

How do you get to the Windows Feature screen that your showing?

I think the original PP Generator was developed with Foxpro, but I think the current version was made with Visual Basic 6.0. There's a program at AnalogX.com called textscan that lets you look at text inside of a program. Got the feeling the program was a VB6 program.

Last edited by KyRacer; 06-11-2014 at 06:43 PM.
KyRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #44
kmitchell006

BRISNET Custom PP Generator Version 2.4

Try this updated version...
kmitchell006 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2014, 06:52 AM   #45
OverlayHunter

KyRacer -

Learn about Windows features here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: