Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-31-2020, 05:33 AM   #1
hcap

“Get busy living or get busy dying.”

― Stephen King, The Shawshank Redemption”

I've told by Trump supporters "to get out of my basement" misquoting King stupidly, in an attempt to deny the pandemic. Here is King pointing out the re-election of Trump is in the direction of dying, not living.

I’ve come to understand what 2016 Trump supporters wanted.
It’s not 2016 anymore.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...n/?arc404=true

"Trump has succeeded in making a direct connection with the American id. He has crystallized formerly vaporous conspiracy theories such as QAnon and the supposed deep state. He has given voice to prejudices that our logical thinking — our better nature, if you like — tells us are damaging and addictive. We understand what the scientists are saying about protecting ourselves from covid-19 and flattening the curve, but those things are plodding and prosaic.

As Americans prepare to go to the polls, they are facing a crossroads moment like no other in the nation’s history. One fork leads to Trump and a validation of the id and all the dark beliefs it harbors. The other fork leads to Biden. A vote for Biden isn’t a vote for the superego — Biden is not blameless — but it’s at least a vote for the ego: the part of us that is rational and willing to take responsibility (however reluctantly) for individual actions and societal ills.”
Old 10-31-2020, 08:50 AM   #2
tucker6

There is nothing a famous person can say to me that has any meaning beyond what the man on the street can say to me. That seems to be a difference between the right and left. Who cares what any of them say. He's overrated anyway and I say that as someone who has read many of his books. You can tell when he becomes disinterested in writing a novel because the slow and detailed writing style gives way to the thin and rapid closure in the final few chapters.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2020, 11:13 AM   #3
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
There is nothing a famous person can say to me that has any meaning beyond what the man on the street can say to me. That seems to be a difference between the right and left. Who cares what any of them say. He's overrated anyway and I say that as someone who has read many of his books. You can tell when he becomes disinterested in writing a novel because the slow and detailed writing style gives way to the thin and rapid closure in the final few chapters.
Shawshank was a great film.
Problem is here "Get busy living or get busy dying” was absdrdly taken out of context by you woebegone Trumpites to attack anyone who followed the science of epidemiology which recommended mitigation measures against covid.

King pointed to struggles of prison life, and taking any opportunity to feel free
when that life ended or relented some. I think his comments on the worst POUS in my lifetime is saying the same. We are "dying" now, and must reach for the chance of living again.

I am very confident the "dying" is about to end.
Old 10-31-2020, 11:27 AM   #4
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Shawshank was a great film.
Problem is here "Get busy living or get busy dying” was absdrdly taken out of context by you woebegone Trumpites to attack anyone who followed the science of epidemiology which recommended mitigation measures against covid.

King pointed to struggles of prison life, and taking any opportunity to feel free
when that life ended or relented some. I think his comments on the worst POUS in my lifetime is saying the same. We are "dying" now, and must reach for the chance of living again.

I am very confident the "dying" is about to end.
I think you and your ilk are completely misguided. I'm on vacation right now in CA. Their covid shutdown is on par with where we were in SC back in early May. Six months ago! The people out here are tired of the suffocation from the govt and openly decry the "stupid rules". Many want to leave and two people asked what it was like in SC. It's surreal out here. Signs everywhere that you'll be heavily fined if you aren't wearing a mask, yet my wife and I have never felt more covid unsafe than we are here. The people here don't want your vision of the future Harry, but are too cucked to speak up. I see fear in everyone's eyes. It's sad really.

I can see the pacific from my computer as I type. But the hotel I'm staying in still has its restaurant closed. Ice machines empty. Pools and hot tubs shut down. Dining out is still a hope out here. It's stunning what the dems have done to CA and elsewhere. You should be ashamed to be supporting this craziness but you're not. I hope to God that Trump wins if only to see you guys explode and finally see that you aren't a majority.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2020, 12:06 PM   #5
hcap

Quote:
I think you and your ilk are completely misguided. I'm on vacation right now in CA. Their covid shutdown is on par with where we were in SC back in early May. Six months ago! The people out here are tired of the suffocation from the govt and openly decry the "stupid rules". Many want to leave and two people asked what it was like in SC. It's surreal out here. Signs everywhere that you'll be heavily fined if you aren't wearing a mask, yet my wife and I have never felt more covid unsafe than we are here. The people here don't want your vision of the future Harry, but are too cucked to speak up. I see fear in everyone's eyes. It's sad really.

I can see the pacific from my computer as I type. But the hotel I'm staying in still has its restaurant closed. Ice machines empty. Pools and hot tubs shut down. Dining out is still a hope out here. It's stunning what the dems have done to CA and elsewhere. You should be ashamed to be supporting this craziness but you're not. I hope to God that Trump wins if only to see you guys explode and finally see that you aren't a majority.
You are changing the subject of this thread. We have discussed the increasing worldwide and national crisis of the coronavirus dozens of times!

Just like global warming has been verified by the increase in global temps, while you narrow view of a brief slowdown, (the "pause)", you deniers claimed was the end of anthropogenic global warming. You were wrong.

The skyrocketing increases in the virus demonstrates you pandemic deniers are wrong again.

Global warming denial Pandemic denial is symptomatic of lunacy
Old 10-31-2020, 12:52 PM   #6
JerryBoyle
Veteran

Quote:
LOL as Trump touts black celebrity endorsements. Not a L vs R thing, try again
JerryBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2020, 02:07 PM   #7
chrisl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryBoyle View Post
LOL as Trump touts black celebrity endorsements. Not a L vs R thing, try again
Boy you got him there. You are so easily entertained. Like a small circus monkey. I am willing to bet you have a collection of calliope music you play all the time.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2020, 02:20 PM   #8
zico20

Quote:
You are changing the subject of this thread. We have discussed the increasing worldwide and national crisis of the coronavirus dozens of times!

Just like global warming has been verified by the increase in global temps, while you narrow view of a brief slowdown, (the "pause)", you deniers claimed was the end of anthropogenic global warming. You were wrong.

The skyrocketing increases in the virus demonstrates you pandemic deniers are wrong again.

The warming temperatures over the past 40 years have been a blessing to North America and Europe. Don't kid yourself.
Old 10-31-2020, 02:21 PM   #9
davew

Quote:

I've told by Trump supporters "to get out of my basement" misquoting King stupidly, in an attempt to deny the pandemic. Here is King pointing out the re-election of Trump is in the direction of dying, not living.

I’ve come to understand what 2016 Trump supporters wanted.
It’s not 2016 anymore.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...n/?arc404=true

"Trump has succeeded in making a direct connection with the American id. He has crystallized formerly vaporous conspiracy theories such as QAnon and the supposed deep state. He has given voice to prejudices that our logical thinking — our better nature, if you like — tells us are damaging and addictive. We understand what the scientists are saying about protecting ourselves from covid-19 and flattening the curve, but those things are plodding and prosaic.

As Americans prepare to go to the polls, they are facing a crossroads moment like no other in the nation’s history. One fork leads to Trump and a validation of the id and all the dark beliefs it harbors. The other fork leads to Biden. A vote for Biden isn’t a vote for the superego — Biden is not blameless — but it’s at least a vote for the ego: the part of us that is rational and willing to take responsibility (however reluctantly) for individual actions and societal ills.”
why do you FEEL anyone is quoting Stephen King, the great HORROR author?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2020, 03:02 PM   #10
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Bob Gunton and I grew up on the same street in Santa Ana California..Heck of a nice guy

Last edited by 46zilzal; 10-31-2020 at 03:03 PM.
46zilzal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2020, 03:06 PM   #11
Tor Ekman

HCap working overtime and in overdrive to convince himself now
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2020, 04:17 PM   #12
OntheRail

Quote:

We do not deny there is a pandemic just like we do not deny the climate changes. Where we disagree is on the approach to them... Your side think both require ending The American Way of Life. Where as we believe in a practical scientific view tempered with common sense. Make one wonder about the true numbers.

I know of two guys that went to get tested... waited for hours got told it would be longer still and so they left without be tested. A week later both received a notice of positive results despite the lack of a test done. And of the ones that are correct. How many positives are Asystematic.

So you can take King options 5 buck and get a happy meal for all its worth.
Old 10-31-2020, 05:06 PM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor Ekman View Post
Stewart Smally, Part II.

Old 10-31-2020, 05:14 PM   #14
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tor Ekman View Post
Never any lack of spare time in a mental hospital.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2020, 05:21 PM   #15
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20 View Post
The warming temperatures over the past 40 years have been a blessing to North America and Europe. Don't kid yourself.
And in another 20 or 30 years to real estate developers tp market mountain side property to buyers currently living in coastal flood zones?

Like a good portion of Miami?

I guess Donald can look into that. He will be looking for work rather soon.