Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2023, 06:56 PM   #481
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlgfnk View Post
Could the Gray Lady be that wrong about the facts a half-century ago?

https://www.nytimes.com/1972/02/04/a...ita-voice.html
It's not inaccurate, just incomplete. The Times was decorous and left out his collapse in the booth after he came back to the track.

There was a biography that came out on Hernandez a decade ago. As part of the promotional tour, the author actually played the tape of the last call, with him collapsing, turning off the mic, and then Gilligan coming in. So we know it happened that way.
Old 09-28-2023, 07:16 PM   #482
dnlgfnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
It's not inaccurate, just incomplete. The Times was decorous and left out his collapse in the booth after he came back to the track.

There was a biography that came out on Hernandez a decade ago. As part of the promotional tour, the author actually played the tape of the last call, with him collapsing, turning off the mic, and then Gilligan coming in. So we know it happened that way.
He didn't die that day.
Old 09-28-2023, 07:42 PM   #483
Inner Dirt

What was Vin Scully's consecutive games record?
Old 09-28-2023, 08:12 PM   #484
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlgfnk View Post
He didn't die that day.
No, he didn't. He died several days later in the hospital. But who said he died that day?

EDIT: going back, it looks like Vic had said he died that day. No, he died a few days later.

Last edited by dilanesp; 09-28-2023 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-28-2023, 08:14 PM   #485
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
What was Vin Scully's consecutive games record?
He didn't have one. He had network TV commitments, first with CBS and then with NBC, plus baseball used to have exclusivity arrangements with post-season games on radio which would have prevented a Chick Hearn-style streak. So Scully was always taking days off. Late in his career he did what many announcers do and cut back on his road games too-- by the end I think he was only going to Anaheim, San Diego, and the Bay Area.
Old 09-28-2023, 09:13 PM   #486
Inner Dirt

Quote:
He didn't have one. He had network TV commitments, first with CBS and then with NBC, plus baseball used to have exclusivity arrangements with post-season games on radio which would have prevented a Chick Hearn-style streak. So Scully was always taking days off. Late in his career he did what many announcers do and cut back on his road games too-- by the end I think he was only going to Anaheim, San Diego, and the Bay Area.

I knew he had the other commitments but did not remember if they interfered with calling the Dodgers as my hardcore baseball fan period ended when I graduated HS in 1978 and moved out of the OC. That was a lot of concussions ago. From the ages of 5-17 I don't think I missed many Dodger and Angel games. People in SoCal back in the day were spoiled, who had better announcers, I don't think anyone.
Old 09-28-2023, 09:37 PM   #487
v j stauffer

Quote:
I remember when Vin called the Masters.
Old 09-29-2023, 07:02 AM   #488
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

Now that you mention it, I do too.

But I would never have come up with that on my own. Jim "here in Butler Cabin" Nantz has been there so long it's difficult to remember any of his predecessors.
Old 09-29-2023, 10:13 AM   #489
Inner Dirt

I remember Vin Scully calling golf, but not the tournaments. Once I had to give the game up from a bad back I stop watching, but golf was always on at my mom and step dad's house, they were golf junkies, both playing and watching.
Old 09-29-2023, 12:11 PM   #490
JohnGalt1

I can live with all announcers. Some are better than others.

It's what some do that bugs me, like popping the p's. Larry Collmus is guilty of this sometimes.

The ESPN female announcer of the MN Gophers v. Northwestern football game not only popped the mike, but also had a lisp, maybe because she was too close to the mike.

Why isn't there someone to point this out?
Old 09-29-2023, 12:44 PM   #491
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt1 View Post

It's what some do that bugs me, like popping the p's. Larry Collmus is guilty of this sometimes.

The ESPN female announcer of the MN Gophers v. Northwestern football game not only popped the mike, but also had a lisp, maybe because she was too close to the mike.

Why isn't there someone to point this out?
So popping the p's is called plosion and is a proximity effect from being closely mic'd. It's not the announcer's fault in the modern era of headset mics (in the old days, it could be the announcer's fault for getting too close to a stand or hand mic without using proper breath control, but nowadays everyone uses headsets and the distance is fixed by the sound technician).

The sound technicians are responsible for either pop-screening the mic, setting it farther from the announcer's mouth (which can in turn create feedback issues depending on volume), or mixing out the plosion so we don't hear it. One way or the other, it isn't the announcer's fault!
Old 09-29-2023, 05:26 PM   #492
Inner Dirt

Did I once hear " Is Flying Paster going to catch Spectacular Bid today from Dave Johnson, or is that a figment of my imagination? Of course in those days with limited betting options my $30 max bet was on the Paster.
Old 09-29-2023, 06:14 PM   #493
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt1 View Post

Why isn't theresomeone to point this out?
Tuning in to Americas Day at the Races this summer I heard someone talking with the lisp. Tharatoga and anything starting with a c or an s sounded like a th.
Old 09-30-2023, 03:11 PM   #494
Bullet Plane

I agree with many that have noticed that she is continuing to improve. A year or two more to really get into the groove.
Old 09-30-2023, 03:32 PM   #495
Inner Dirt

What I want to know is why someone has not invented a selective muting system for game announcers? The motor mouth ones like Tony Romo drive me nuts, either that or I wish they would sync up standard radio and satellite radio with the TV so I can chose who I want to listen to. Everyone has a popular announcer they cannot stand. I remember Chick Hearn would apologize for talking too much to the TV audience when he was doing a simulcast.
Closed Thread