Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 06-02-2020, 11:09 AM   #91
classhandicapper

I am able to break out sex, age, and statebred OK and use those field now. It's some of the conditions for ALW, OCL and other races that get crazy.

The data I am getting is generally displayed as the abbreviated class field in the DRF past performances. It's not very consistent. I have to parse out the purse, whether a horse was claimed, eligible to claimed, and other nonsense all to get what still turns out to be loads of conditions from track to track some of which do not included important info in that abbreviated field.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:44 PM   #92
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I am able to break out sex, age, and statebred OK and use those field now. It's some of the conditions for ALW, OCL and other races that get crazy.

The data I am getting is generally displayed as the abbreviated class field in the DRF past performances. It's not very consistent. I have to parse out the purse, whether a horse was claimed, eligible to claimed, and other nonsense all to get what still turns out to be loads of conditions from track to track some of which do not included important info in that abbreviated field.
So if I'm understanding correctly the files you're importing are more like actual running lines than what's to be found in the traditional result chart. That could be handy if you have everything you want in it but it sounds like it's lacking for the conditions.

I had to do an incredible amount of work to write those functions that can take a condition string and give you the type of abbreviation you see in the PPs, that was part of the great speed figure project I was working on before I shifted gears altogether and went away from time. The code in my modules is really messy, there are literally functions to generate wind variants and what not mixed in with things like the condition parser functions. That's why I want to avoid working on code, if I don't touch it for years and then go back to it it's a mystery to me how half of it works, it takes days of what little spare time I have staring at the code to figure out wth is even going on.

As part of the fix I made the other day I stumbled upon the fact that there's a worksheet in the excel chart processor that has RaceIDs in it. After 13 years there are 670 odd thousand race IDs in there, excel has a million row limit. I'm going to have to put in a fix for that. Was I dumb enough to just count the rows in the sheet and add 1 to generate each new RaceID or did I do the smarter thing and read what the max number was and add 1 to that. The difference is huge bc if it's the latter I can manually delete the oldest 5 years in two seconds and be good for a very long time again.

Looked at it for a half hour yesterday and couldn't figure out what I even did. Anyway something will have to be done about that issue within the next 5 years or that'll blow up on me.

Last edited by MJC922; 06-02-2020 at 05:58 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2020, 06:58 PM   #93
classhandicapper

I run into the same problem all the time.

Some of my code is over 5 years old and pretty complex. I have a long list of things I'd like to test, but the thought of figuring out what all these complex queries do again and making changes makes my head spin. It would take a long time.
Old 09-18-2023, 03:45 PM   #94
mistergee

Does anyone happen to have the most recent 3 yr best times
Thanks In Advance
mistergee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2023, 10:49 AM   #95
bisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergee View Post
Does anyone happen to have the most recent 3 yr best times
Thanks In Advance
You have to email DRF customer service to get them. Unfortunately they're not available on their site anymore. They got back to me in a few hours with a pdf in the email. I use them all the time. You do know you can get the variants in the daily charts, but they're only available for a few days.
bisket is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-25-2023, 12:50 PM   #96
JohnGalt1

Are some of you making speed comparisons more difficult than it should be?

I buy HORSESTREET PARS from Dave Schwartz.

I use the $10k open claiming price for all distances and surfaces.

I use the DRF variants to adjust the times for dirt and don't use variants to adjust grass race times. Over 80% are accurate and need no adjustments.

Some of pars I feel need adjusting. The turf figures for the Ellis, Penn and some other tracks are way too fast. Some like Pimlico and CD are a little slow.

Dave's book is more efficient than using 3 year best times, especially for those here who state that DRF variants are faulty because they are based on three year best times.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-26-2023, 03:51 PM   #97
mistergee

thank you,

I did ask for them from DRF and they sent them but something tells me they are not the most recent 3 yrs. For example they gave GPW but no GP synthetic listed
mistergee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply