Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 06-29-2023, 09:24 AM   #61
KyRacer

Your not the only one having this problem. Here's a search link for some solutions. I'm trying to find the best one.

Missing where to get apps Windows 11
Old 06-29-2023, 10:26 AM   #62
KyRacer

This appears to be about the Microsoft Store. What version of Windows 11 do you have (Home, Pro, Enterprise, or S Mode). Here's some info from a guy named Dave helping someone else. If you have S Mode then that might be the problem. Did you do a fresh install of Windows 11 or update Windows 10 to Windows 11?
--------------------
Dave:
Open the Settings App, then go to System - About, what edition (Home, Pro, Enterprise, or S Mode) of Windows is installed on you PC?

Girls reply: Thanks! It's a Windows 11 Home in S mode

Dave:
Thank you for that information, that is the problem, you have Windows in S Mode, so you are limited to installing Store apps.

You can switch from S Mode to Windows 11 Home, it is free to do so and it is a one-time operation, it cannot be undone.

Open the Settings app, go to the Activation page and click 'Go to the Store' to switch to full Windows 11 Home.

-------------------

I'm running Windows 11 Pro so I don't see the "Go to the Store" switch". The S-Mode is for safety and only allows you to install from the Microsoft Store. There's another way to reset the Microsoft Store if it's not a S Mode problem. More on that later.
Old 06-29-2023, 11:20 AM   #63
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Yes, the problem is that I haven't switched out of S Mode, which I don't think I want to do.

I read about the cons of switching out (it's a one time permanent move, there's no going back to S Mode) and I'm not sure I want to do that.

Thanks again for all your help. I appreciate it
Old 06-29-2023, 12:26 PM   #64
KyRacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Yes, the problem is that I haven't switched out of S Mode, which I don't think I want to do.

I read about the cons of switching out (it's a one-time permanent move, there's no going back to S Mode) and I'm not sure I want to do that.

Thanks again for all your help. I appreciate it
I had heard of S-Mode but didn't know much about it. While you can't go back to S-Mode, you can still select "The Microsoft Store Only" mode from the apps menu. I believe you can switch to the Anywhere mode to install special programs like the Custom Generator and then switch back to "The Microsoft Store Only" for more safety.

The S-Mode seems pretty limiting. From what I read you're limited to Microsoft Edge and Microsoft Defender. Found a link below about the Pro's and Con's of S-mode.

I run the Generator in WMware's virtual windows mode with Win XP 32 running. It runs the Generator perfect and has the 1/2 lengths in the pp's. I print to a PDF file which I can open in either Win 11 or Win XP and both show the 1/2 lengths. I also have the Generator installed on Win 11 but it doesn't show the 1/2 lengths on screen or in print.

Pro's and Con's

Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2023-06-29 113331.png (89.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 07-12-2023, 11:12 PM   #65
wiretowire68

I have a question regarding the PP Generator

I downloaded this program as I am a tourney player in hopes that I could use this to create my own pp's for tournaments. However, when I tried to download the pdf file to the generator would not allow for it. I asked Bris customer service about this and they said that it can not be done. I thought why would a company make a product that is sold in droves to the public and software handicappers and tournament sites etc. then you are not allowed to take the free pp and insert into a program that you created. ??? Am I missing something or can the free pp's from Horsetourney. com be converted to another type of file that the PP Generator can use? Just curious. Big believer in knowing the horses fractions as opposed to calculating beaten lengths by calculator without having the knowledge to be able to insert a bris file into my own spreadsheet so I can fractional handicapp and do my intervals without the tediousness and the time consumption..
wiretowire68 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2023, 12:27 AM   #66
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiretowire68 View Post
I downloaded this program as I am a tourney player in hopes that I could use this to create my own pp's for tournaments. However, when I tried to download the pdf file to the generator would not allow for it. I asked Bris customer service about this and they said that it can not be done. I thought why would a company make a product that is sold in droves to the public and software handicappers and tournament sites etc. then you are not allowed to take the free pp and insert into a program that you created. ??? Am I missing something or can the free pp's from Horsetourney. com be converted to another type of file that the PP Generator can use? Just curious. Big believer in knowing the horses fractions as opposed to calculating beaten lengths by calculator without having the knowledge to be able to insert a bris file into my own spreadsheet so I can fractional handicapp and do my intervals without the tediousness and the time consumption..
A PDF file includes a lot of formatting information to place the data in specific places and in specific styles and may not include all of the data found in the data files. A CSV file, such as the BRIS data files, is strictly data. I don't find it at all surprising that the PP Generator does not support PDF files. An ability to import the PDF is far more complex than it might seem to a non-programmer. It is not simply a ploy to keep you from using a free file.

Last edited by ranchwest; 07-13-2023 at 12:29 AM.
ranchwest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2023, 04:00 PM   #67
JohnGalt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiretowire68 View Post
Bris premium pp's for a dollar per card is what generater uses.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2023, 06:09 PM   #68
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt1 View Post
Bris premium pp's for a dollar per card is what generater uses.
Or MultiCaps files ($5).