Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 06-18-2023, 01:07 PM   #1
JohnGalt1

Optional Claiming Races

In another thread wrote that they were confused by Optional Claiming races.

I was too--for many years.

When I began handicapping in the 1980's, there was very few OC races.

Were they higher class claiming races? Allowance races? Some kind of hybrid?

I initially decided they were equivalent to Starter allowances. So I ranked $40k OC races equal to $62,500 open claiming races. That didn't quite work when doing my class ratings.

I decided to rate the OC price as equal to open allowance prices.

Then I played Calder one day and saw a $150,000 OC race with a $20k purse. All 10 horses were $8-16k claimers. I was shocked to see ALL 10 horses were entered to be claimed for $150,000. I was also shocked that none were claimed!!!

Since when I would see any of these horses in future past performances, I shouldn't consider them as $150k class horses.

It was about 6 months ago I decided to ignore the OC claiming price. I decided to use the purse of the race, which solved the class issue for me.

I use Bris PP generator so I print the purses at the end of each line.

Belmont and CD runs open 40K OC with $100+ purses, while other tracks like Tampa may run the same race with a $40k purse. I've seen Hawthorne run $75k OC races with $25K purses.

As in all races I make adjustments for NW2, NW3, and statebred races.

Belmont and other tracks run (S)$20k OC races with a $80k purse. I adjust 3 levels for all statebred races, so this race would be equal to a $40k open allowance.

I hope this helps you. I'm just miffed at myself for taken so many years to find a viable way to handle Optional Claiming races.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2023, 07:21 PM   #2
SBD400

Back in the day there wasn’t a shortage of horses, the modern day optional claimer is to help fill fields. New York actually had nw2l allowance races, those type of races are few and far between these days in the country.

I still consider these races as allowance races and factor in the claimers who in nw2x or nw3x are usually horses through their conditions or stakes horses who aren’t winning and looking for an easier spot. I hate the optional nw1x claiming races, willing to accept nw2x.
SBD400 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2023, 08:52 PM   #3
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Since you are using BRIS data I would suggest you compile a list of class par figures to try and determine class hierarchy.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2023, 12:07 AM   #4
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister View Post
Since you are using BRIS data I would suggest you compile a list of class par figures to try and determine class hierarchy.
Multicaps files include class ratings for all prior races and the class par for the current race.
Old 06-19-2023, 10:25 AM   #5
classhandicapper

IMO, the races are generally a bit stronger than the ALW condition for the race because they are open to horses that fit the ALW condition AND horses that are already potentially through that condition but perhaps not good enough to win at higher classes or whose form has deteriorated a bit. So their connections are willing to put them in for a tag.

Still, I think the best way to evaluate them is to look at the field and see what kind of horses were actually in the race. How sharp were they, what level have they been competitive at, how consistently have they been competitive and won at that level etc...

You could also always just look at their pace and speed figures for a different kind of ballpark estimate.
Old 06-19-2023, 01:56 PM   #6
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
IMO, the races are generally a bit stronger than the ALW condition for the race because they are open to horses that fit the ALW condition AND horses that are already potentially through that condition but perhaps not good enough to win at higher classes or whose form has deteriorated a bit. So their connections are willing to put them in for a tag.

Still, I think the best way to evaluate them is to look at the field and see what kind of horses were actually in the race. How sharp were they, what level have they been competitive at, how consistently have they been competitive and won at that level etc...

You could also always just look at their pace and speed figures for a different kind of ballpark estimate.
This is excellent!

To me, knowing the condition book and horse population at a given track is key.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2023, 08:36 PM   #7
tbwinner

I know this is an older thread but one big trainer intent thing with these OC races is finding a horse IN for the tag of the AOC race even though it is eligible to be "protected" by the N#x condition. You'll see some sharp trainers that may have greatly improved a claim, run him in a 40k/N2x AOC for the 40k tag, knowing there's a small chance anyone will claim, win, and then run next out in same race under the N2x condition.

I don't know if there is a way for any of the database guys to have a stat on this as some of these AOC races have so many conditions...but I imagine there are some nuggets out there.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2023, 09:47 AM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

What would be the point?
Run protected then run back for the claim wuthout the risk.
Old 07-14-2023, 12:42 PM   #9
tbwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
What would be the point?
Run protected then run back for the claim wuthout the risk.
If you don't want to lose the horse.

Say you claimed him for 20k and he is showing a lot of potential.

You could run for the protected n2x first but then next out you risk getting claimed for the 40k. Sure you'd make a nice profit but if you thought you had something it's a good way to swipe a purse twice.

Again...it was rare to find someone doing this. I'll have to look back in my notes as 10 years ago there was a sharp barn or two doing this.

Just another trainer intent item

Edit; I get what you're saying. I'm saying no one would likely claim if you ran right away for 40 off a 20k claim...whereas they might off an n2x win.

Last edited by tbwinner; 07-14-2023 at 12:43 PM. Reason: More detail
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-17-2023, 12:33 PM   #10
bisket

One thing to pay attention to in AOC races in Florida during the winter or spring is whether the horse is a New York, Maryland, Pennsylvania bred. The claiming price and class level for a horse outside it’s state bred conditions is much lower. The trainer might just be trying to get a race in before shipping north. It might not be a reflection of form or class level.
bisket is offline   Reply With Quote Reply