Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-22-2019, 12:40 AM   #571
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
That's wrong. Synthetics have specifically reduced breakdown rates at tracks where they were installed, and have worked very well at tracks like GGF with lots of bottom of the barrel horses.
It also changed the racing to shitty
Old 11-22-2019, 09:02 AM   #572
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Comparing breakdown rates from different tracks is pretty musch a waste of time.

Two totally different populations of horses, horsemen, track maintenance, etc.
Nothing at Del Mar is strongly relatable to SA.

Racing needs to hire someone from OUTSIDE the industry to look at this problem.
Someone who understand statistics and problem solving.

So far, everything I have seen is amatuere hour responses from the tracks.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:27 AM   #573
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

I don't agree with that Tom. We don't need more cooks to stir the pot and add to the confusion. We all know the problem and what needs to be done.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2019, 10:42 AM   #574
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Same for Robinson Cano.

Of course Lasix has uses in human athletes. Athletes can have the same conditions all other humans have. But since they can't use it other drugs are used instead.
You’re going to have to explain to me how a person with health issues requiring Lasix are physically well enough to be a competitive athlete. In addition, an athlete does not want to ride his body of salt.

Lasix (furosemide) is a loop diuretic (water pill) that prevents your body from absorbing too much salt. This allows the salt to instead be passed in your urine. Lasix is used to treat fluid retention (edema) in people with congestive heart failure, liver disease, or a kidney disorder such as nephrotic syndrome.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2019, 10:43 AM   #575
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
I don't agree with that Tom. We don't need more cooks to stir the pot and add to the confusion. We all know the problem and what needs to be done.
Do we?
It's the whips, right?
Old 11-22-2019, 10:43 AM   #576
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
One thing to remember is when horsemen say it isn't performance enhancing or masking, they certainly act like it is. If it wasn't a performance enhancer or masking agent, after all, you wouldn't give it to horses who weren't bleeders (and we know from the days of the "bleeders' list" and scopes that not everyone bleeds). They give it to every horse they can.

They ACT like it isn't just a medication.
Do you want to find out AFTER a race that you should’ve given Lasix?
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2019, 11:34 AM   #577
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
That's not how people treat medication, Fager. You don't take heart pills or protease inhibitors or poison antidotes "just in case". You get diagnosed first.

The desire of horsemen to give THIS medication without a prior diagnosis is basically proof that this is either a performance enhancer or a masking agent.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2019, 11:39 AM   #578
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
This thread alone is proof that the racing industry doesn't know what needs to be done because it certainly hasn't done it. I'm not saying NOTHING has been done, but it's more "shoot the messenger" type stuff than any real bold action.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2019, 11:45 AM   #579
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
You’re going to have to explain to me how a person with health issues requiring Lasix are physically well enough to be a competitive athlete. In addition, an athlete does not want to ride his body of salt.

Lasix (furosemide) is a loop diuretic (water pill) that prevents your body from absorbing too much salt. This allows the salt to instead be passed in your urine. Lasix is used to treat fluid retention (edema) in people with congestive heart failure, liver disease, or a kidney disorder such as nephrotic syndrome.
https://www.cnn.com/2012/08/16/healt...pus/index.html

I know from personal experience Lasix is often used by people with Lupus and Sjogren's Syndrome. Obviously this lady wouldn't be allowed to use it and they found something else. There are many similar stories for people like her with Lupus. I doubt this is the only illness that could be helped with Lasix but aren't debilitating enough to keep people from being top class athletes.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2019, 11:48 AM   #580
bob60566
Vancouver Island

Racing in North America know 99% what has to be done for decades to fix current problems, But do not have clue how to go about fixing them.
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2019, 11:48 AM   #581
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
No trainer was rushing to give non-bleeders Lasix before they realized they kept losing to horses getting Lasix. Preventive use is the excuse used now to drug nearly every horse before a race, but that is not going to fly for long as racing faces more and more scrutiny from the outside.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2019, 11:53 AM   #582
Robert Fischer
clean money

I'll always remember his Awesome Again Stakes.
He went to the lead and wired the field in a forward-favoring flow.
McKinzie didn't have the 'magic' that has been the trademark of his barn, and some of his brilliant efforts. Higher Power was badly underlayed, and then lost all chance by stumbling at the start.

He was an opportunistic grade-3 type, and he always seemed to try hard.

Faithful horse, noble friend; intelligent, companionable, supremely beautiful. Characterized by strength, fleetness and courage.
Old 11-22-2019, 12:03 PM   #583
horsefan2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
By chance DRF justed posted a Steve Anderson article about Santa Anita dates for the upcoming winter/spring meet. No hillside races. No $8K claimers. Racing and training will be cancelled for inclement weather. They were granted 104 racing dates, with an understanding that 12 days will be cancelled, as needed, due to horse shortages or inclement weather.
Well thats a shame. Part of what made turf races at Santa Anita unique was the hillside turf course. But I understand why they are doing it if they are doing a complete overhaul of safety at the track.
horsefan2019 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #584
GMB@BP

Quote:
in people with congestive heart failure, liver disease, or a kidney disorder such as nephrotic syndrome.
why was deandre ayton taking that type of stuff then? You think he suffers from something like that?
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2019, 12:48 PM   #585
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsefan2019 View Post
Well thats a shame. Part of what made turf races at Santa Anita unique was the hillside turf course. But I understand why they are doing it if they are doing a complete overhaul of safety at the track.
I always hated it. I bet lots of players sat on their hands during those races