Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:11 PM   #16
Gentz

Hurry up Dave.. Sounds great!!!
Gentz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2015, 04:01 PM   #17
thaskalos

If ten different horseplayers use the product...will they all get the same handicapping results?
Old 09-28-2015, 04:11 PM   #18
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
If ten different horseplayers use the product...will they all get the same handicapping results?
No, they will all likely get different results.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2015, 04:25 PM   #19
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz

Is someone can give me a set of rules, I'll try to add it.
Rules? We don't got no rules.

The Match Up is very subjective and qualitative. You project the likely early pace of the race and throw out any horse that looks unable to compete at that pace. You then compare the contenders against each other using a pace line for each that appears to be representative of what the horse is capable of doing today. An important part of that comparison is determining whether the race is likely to be run "E" (early) or "OTE" (other than early), and which horses that will favor.

http://paceandcap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5715
Old 09-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #20
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
No, they will all likely get different results.
Not even 4 out of 10?

Is this the program which you were taking a Poll on a wish list of features a couple of months ago?

Which features from the list did you decide to use?
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2015, 05:00 PM   #21
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Not even 4 out of 10?
LOL - Pick different contenders, different pacelines, make different decisions. How would I know how many will get the same horses?

Quote:
Is this the program which you were taking a Poll on a wish list of features a couple of months ago?
Different program.

That one is under development by a contractor. I am writing this one myself.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:26 PM   #22
thaskalos

What would be the hardware requirements for using this software...for the handicapper who hasn't yet plunged into "computer handicapping"?
Old 09-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #23
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
What would be the hardware requirements for using this software...for the handicapper who hasn't yet plunged into "computer handicapping"?
Windows 7 or newer, laptop or tablet. This will be a small footprint program. Not like the current monster I have.

Horse racing software always does better with wider screens because of the columns, but I am really trying to write this so it works well even in a tablet. We'll see about that.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:47 PM   #24
Capper Al

Quote:

Giles, yes. What is "PPG?"
Giles' Pace Pressure Gage.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2015, 06:53 PM   #25
098poi

Quote:
LOL - You can choose between FPS, Pace "Ratings," and a couple of other running-style-based approaches.

Again, I want to reiterate that this software WILL be ready by Christmas.

BTW, HSH users will get the program and downloads for free.
I like that last line! The idea that it will be ready by Christmas makes me think of your poor wife. I know how hard you work on a project and I bet she will be happier when it's done than you are. Put something extra under the tree for her.
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2015, 07:02 PM   #26
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Giles' Pace Pressure Gage.
Expect something similar.

Quote:
I like that last line! The idea that it will be ready by Christmas makes me think of your poor wife. I know how hard you work on a project and I bet she will be happier when it's done than you are. Put something extra under the tree for her
I have mellowed a bit in recent years.

But there is a degree of truth to this because I have not been this excited about a project in a long time. I guess working on a single piece of software for 16 years has made me bored.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:04 PM   #27
Mr.XXX

wwwwooooowwwww

Now this is an exciting development-- this definitely gets me in a posting mood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish to highlight a couple of areas of concern:

FIRST: Although there's plenty good software of this type already, all fail in the presentation and ease of use.
I'm talking about usefulness for a serious handicapper who looks at all tracks all days, or almost.
Usually one has to click too much / repeatedly toggle between screens. Even worse is the size of the screens themselves, either illegibly cramming too much, or forcing horizontal scrolling.

SECOND: PP's are lacking or are provided in a format that is not user adjustable.

THIRD: Models, profiles, database, etc. One either almost has to be a programmer to run queries, or accept hard-baked secret recipe algorithms.
Again, I am referring to programs in general, nothing specific.
Each field in the pp data file should be able to be run in a database query: alone, in combination, etc.

So in conclusion, I would urge you to think in terms of tabbed browsing so prevalent today; "PLUS the ability to tile", especially in case the user has a larger screen or wants to adjust the resolution to fit extra modules.
Also, please allow user customizing: add/remove/rearrange any of the columns.

And pp's could really augment your product. In fact, for simplicity and smartphone/tablet use you could have one screen such as the bris pp generator type "substituting the actual fractions for adjusted fractions PLUS adding the incremental ones(now things like Turn Time, Early Stretch, etc. are there at immediate glance) and a couple of others like 2+3, etc."
SO NOW, in one fell swoop a handicapper has some key pace numbers in the pp's. AND AS LONG as the running line comments are not removed to add the extra numbers, THIS SAVES A LOT OF TIME DURING HANDICAPPING, THERE IS NO PRICE THAT CAN BE PUT ON THIS.

There's also no price that can be put on being able to generate esoteric football-esque stats for the horses, no matter how nonsensical some.

Why not? It's more fun, the user becomes a chef, appeals to the younger.

Thank you sir.

Last edited by Mr.XXX; 09-28-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Mr.XXX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2015, 07:28 PM   #28
JimG

Christmas time brings back memories of when Dave would always do a nifty upgrade to the HSH program in its infant stages. Best of luck with the new software Dave.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2015, 07:53 PM   #29
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
I wish to highlight a couple of areas of concern:

Quote:
FIRST: Although there's plenty good software of this type already, all fail in the presentation and ease of use.
I'm talking about usefulness for a serious handicapper who looks at all tracks all days, or almost.

Usually one has to click too much / repeatedly toggle between screens. Even worse is the size of the screens themselves, either illegibly cramming too much, or forcing horizontal scrolling.
The nature of handicapping software is that it demands a lot of columns on the screen. The result is often an overabundance of data.

As a general rule, I go for text-based report screens, and create some kind of user-defined reporting system. That is my plan here.

BTW, text-based screens have the advantage of allowing the user to easily add comments and then capture that data somewhere.

Our current software (HSH, is a picture in excess, in terms of data. There are around 4,000 factors per horse - which can be a bit overwhelming.

Quote:
SECOND: PP's are lacking or are provided in a format that is not user adjustable.
Although the pacelines must be presented in a format that looks somewhat past performance-like, I am a believer that the user's goal is to have a handful of reports to study for each race and that he must be able to get at them in a quickly accessible way.

I have no intention of creating a reproduction of the DRF.

Quote:
THIRD: Models, profiles, database, etc. One either almost has to be a programmer to run queries, or accept hard-baked secret recipe algorithms.
Again, I am referring to programs in general, nothing specific.
Each field in the pp data file should be able to be run in a database query: alone, in combination, etc.
Roger that!

Our query system in HSH is template driven, with check boxes, and range fields. Everything in this system will be as such. We're not building a programmer's system.

There are like 4 people on the planet that want that. LOL

(Ask me how I know.)

Quote:
So in conclusion, I would urge you to think in terms of tabbed browsing so prevalent today; "PLUS the ability to tile", especially in case the user has a larger screen or wants to adjust the resolution to fit extra modules.
Also, please allow user customizing: add/remove/rearrange any of the columns.
My paradigm is to open a race in a single window, with all the pertinent information (i.e. models, reports, etc.) contained on tabs within that window.

Of course, the user can open as many race windows as he likes at one time.

Quote:
And pp's could really augment your product. In fact, for simplicity and smartphone/tablet use you could have one screen such as the bris pp generator type "substituting the actual fractions for adjusted fractions PLUS adding the incremental ones(now things like Turn Time, Early Stretch, etc. are there at immediate glance) and a couple of others like 2+3, etc."
SO NOW, in one fell swoop a handicapper has some key pace numbers in the pp's. AND AS LONG as the running line comments are not removed to add the extra numbers, THIS SAVES A LOT OF TIME DURING HANDICAPPING, THERE IS NO PRICE THAT CAN BE PUT ON THIS.

Why not? It's more fun, the user becomes a chef, appeals to the younger.
Alas, here is the only place we disagree. I simply cannot put this kind of power on a phone. Just not possible.

Possibly - and I say possibly not probably - I can get it to work on a screen such as an iPad.

Quote:
There's also no price that can be put on being able to generate esoteric football-esque stats for the horses, no matter how nonsensical some.
I hear you. I am a pure metrics guy.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:08 PM   #30
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Christmas time brings back memories of when Dave would always do a nifty upgrade to the HSH program in its infant stages. Best of luck with the new software Dave.

Jim

Thanks, Jim.