Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-01-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
cj's dad

Tulsa police captain suspended

For failing to send his officers to a mosque

[YT="Religious Freedom ?"]X7htmmEhNwQ[/YT]
Old 09-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #2
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

An Islamic Center in Tulsa holds an event to THANK the Tulsa police for how they reponded to a recent threat against the center. It seems like this type of event would encourage good relations between the Muslim community in Tulsa and the police, which seems like a positive outcome (one Rudy G often emphasized in NYC). The officers would NOT be required to attend a prayer service, just the event. This is about a police capitain disobeying orders, nothing else. He should have been fired, imo, if the facts in the video are correct.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
murph8

he should be commended i wouldnt go either for those idiots
murph8 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #4
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
An Islamic Center in Tulsa holds an event to THANK the Tulsa police for how they reponded to a recent threat against the center. It seems like this type of event would encourage good relations between the Muslim community in Tulsa and the police, which seems like a positive outcome (one Rudy G often emphasized in NYC). The officers would NOT be required to attend a prayer service, just the event. This is about a police capitain disobeying orders, nothing else. He should have been fired, imo, if the facts in the video are correct.
What are you complaining about? This was the Tulsa police department? The police are employees of a city government? Maybe the commander is a liberal and a stanch believer in the "separation of church and state" doctrine. Why do you lament consistency?

Or maybe all the officers under his command are born again Christians, and refused to step foot into any of Baal's strongholds on the basis of their religious beliefs. I mean: Would a Muslim worth the price of a camel's whisker be caught dead crossing the thresh hold of any infidel's place of worship -- in a Jewish temple or a Christian church?

Or maybe all the officers are die-hard atheists whose sensibilities would have been greatly offended at the possibility of the mention of any name of a god (in this case "Allah"). (These types, too, would undoubtedly welcome the above mentioned "wall of separation" doctrine.)

Why couldn't these supposedly grateful Muslims be content with sending a formal "thank you" note, if they felt they needed to do anything at all for the police merely doing their duty? And if they were really super grateful, they could have shipped 70 life-sized inflatable virgins to be handed out to all the males on the force (but I suppose any lesbians within the ranks would have appreciated these, also).

These Muslims need to get up to speed on the complexities of American culture and act more tactfully.

Boxcar
Old 09-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #5
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Box,

I knew you'd chime in with your usual craziness here, but your post doesn't even make sense. I'll admit I didn't read past the first paragraph, though. Please post something cogent on the matter.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
Dave Schwartz

Mike,

Simple question - Should a Muslim police offer be required to show up at a similar meeting as this at a Jewish synagogue?

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
LottaKash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
Mike,

Simple question - Should a Muslim police offer be required to show up at a similar meeting as this at a Jewish synagogue?

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
Bravo Dave, point well taken.....

best,
Old 09-01-2011, 03:04 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Oy Vey! Allahu akbar!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #9
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Mike,

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
Yes.

He is a public servant. If the public wishes to honor them or formally thank them as long as it doesn't infringe on their personal religious beliefs they should be in attendance.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
ArlJim78

he didn't deserve to be fired for that. like Dave alluded, no Muslim would be fired for not wanting to attend a function at a synagogue. they should have simply accomodated his strong feelings about it and sent someone else in his place.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2011, 03:19 PM   #11
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
he didn't deserve to be fired for that. like Dave alluded, no Muslim would be fired for not wanting to attend a function at a synagogue. they should have simply accomodated his strong feelings about it and sent someone else in his place.
He was ordered to send an officer there and refused. If your religious convictions are that strong that you cannot attend public functions, held for you, you shouldn't be in public service.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #12
Greyfox

Quote:
Mike,

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
Yes. A public servant signs on to serve all sectors of society.
Accepting that role should leave no exemptions. (That is partly what is wrong with society today. Instead of being a melting pot, the promotion of multi-culturism is divisive.)
I'd be damned upset if a Muslim fire fighter refused to put out a fire at a Christian Church or Synagogue. (Similarly, I'd be upset with anyone using religion to forego their public duties).

(Didn't you recently have a joke up here about a Captain who sent four of his best seamen to a deb party for a white Southern Belle. That joke underscores what is wrong with the police refusing to go to the Mosque.)

Last edited by Greyfox; 09-01-2011 at 03:28 PM.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2011, 04:08 PM   #13
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Mike,

Regards,
Dave Schwartz
ABSOLUTELY! He should not be forced to attend any type of Jewish religious service, though. If a Muslim officer refused to attend (with the same facts as the case here), he should be fired. Again, I'm assuming the video reported the facts correctly. If you know the facts in video to be incorrect or incomplete, please let me know.

I don't support special treatment for anyone!
Old 09-01-2011, 04:10 PM   #14
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
Yes. A public servant signs on to serve all sectors of society.
Accepting that role should leave no exemptions. (That is partly what is wrong with society today. Instead of being a melting pot, the promotion of multi-culturism is divisive.)
I'd be damned upset if a Muslim fire fighter refused to put out a fire at a Christian Church or Synagogue. (Similarly, I'd be upset with anyone using religion to forego their public duties).

[size]
Well said.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:11 PM   #15
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
How do you know Jim? Seriously, how can you make such claims with such certainty?