Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:11 AM   #1
SandyW

NYRA Raising Prices

Raising the prices on group sales and increasing the cost of parking.
Is this is the answer to bringing more people out to the track?
One question, are these people brain dead??
SandyW is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
SandyW

NYRA to increase prices, simulcast fees in 2015

http://www.drf.com/news/nyra-increas...cast-fees-2015
SandyW is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2014, 11:07 AM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Stock up on coffee now!
Old 12-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Why not just bring a large thermos??
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2014, 04:03 PM   #5
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike
Why not just bring a large thermos??
Or start following another circuit.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

As a NYRA fan , I am embarrassed and repulsed. I hear nothing about improving the product. All I hear is raise prices to offset a 3% reduction in handle.

Why not do things to avoid a 3% reduction in handle?

All I hear is reduce dates at Aqueduct. Why not do things to make NYRA the place to be for horsemen in the winter so winter racing can thrive and be profitable without cutting dates?
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
As a NYRA fan , I am embarrassed and repulsed. I hear nothing about improving the product. All I hear is raise prices to offset a 3% reduction in handle.

All I hear is reduce dates at Aqueduct. Why not do things to make NYRA the place to be for horsemen in the winter so winter racing can thrive and be profitable without cutting dates?
Its bad business to not try and address the actual problem and just pass the cost onto the consumer while fat cat higher ups get paid lots of money to sit around and blame the weather or the economy.

How about not letting David Jacobson enter 2 horses in every race and then pick and choose which one will run 3 days after entries are taken. Who's to say that a small tweak like that won't help betting handle? Bettors can prepare bets the night before and not have to worry about that nonsense, so theres a small thing they can "tweak" to increase handle. There are lot of other things that can be done to help handle, charging ridiculous amounts of money for coffee isnt' one of them.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #8
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

If I were hired as 'racing manager', handle and bottom line revenue would be UP year over year guaranteed. If I fail, they can fire me. I'll work for a small base with everything based upon commission . Commission would be based on higher handle, profitability and net profit.

They'll never hire anyone of merit to grow the game. Not NYRA's fault. It's all the Governor's fault. Even when NYRA's board removes the Cuomo cronie majority, they will still be handcuffed by Cuomo. Not technically but informally.

It's hopeless.

They will burn NY horse racing to the ground.

I sincerely hope the horsemen somehow have political clout and screw over the Cuomo cronies somehow someway.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #9
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
If I were hired as 'racing manager', handle and bottom line revenue would be UP year over year guaranteed. If I fail, they can fire me. I'll work for a small base with everything based upon commission . Commission would be based on higher handle, profitability and net profit.

They'll never hire anyone of merit to grow the game. Not NYRA's fault. It's all the Governor's fault. Even when NYRA's board removes the Cuomo cronie majority, they will still be handcuffed by Cuomo. Not technically but informally.

It's hopeless.

They will burn NY horse racing to the ground.

I sincerely hope the horsemen somehow have political clout and screw over the Cuomo cronies somehow someway.
Taking Cuomo out of the equasion, isnt' this generally a problem with ALL tracks? Don't all tracks seem to have some problem with finding out how to grow the game?
Old 12-02-2014, 07:35 PM   #10
dilanesp

Quote:

It isn't exactly like winter racing in New York ever made a ton of sense compared to, for instance, Florida.

But having said that, to me this is the flip side of the Del Mar situation. NYRA can certainly charge a lot for Saratoga, but given they can't get more than a couple of thousand people to come to the track most of the year, they really should be cutting prices at the other 2 tracks, not raising them.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #11
alydar

3% reduction in handle would appear very optimistic to me. As we have discussed handle is down substantially from last year recently. I think the 3% is only considering fewer races in 2015 and not the overall reduction in handle we have seen lately.
alydar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2014, 04:37 PM   #12
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by alydar
3% reduction in handle would appear very optimistic to me. As we have discussed handle is down substantially from last year recently. I think the 3% is only considering fewer races in 2015 and not the overall reduction in handle we have seen lately.
According
to Drf, nyra handle is down 58 million in 3 months. 15 - 20% seems like a more realistic projection.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2014, 04:51 PM   #13
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I read somewhere that handle is down 58 million since Saratoga.........that's an incredible number for NYRA

If true......it's amazing.

We're starting to get to crunch time. I can only think that this is going to continue, in fact snowball. When choosing where to put your recreational money, why racing? Sitting through 50 races a day to find 2-3 to bet?

No way. This might not be the tipping point, but things are definately changing big time.

I can only imagine about ten other things to do with my money on any given day. For the first time in about 14 years I have spent only about $1000 bucks on racing this year. All at Lonestar Park. In 2002 i put 14k through the windows......there have been some bigger and smaller years in between, including a year where I jumped to just under 5k a month.....but ........ it's a been a nice slow slide............

Last edited by JustRalph; 12-03-2014 at 04:53 PM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #14
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alydar
I'm wondering if this is a PR spin or just maybe they haven't a clue. I'm wondering how mgmt. can approve their 2015 budget.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2014, 05:39 PM   #15
Storm Cadet

Next thing these guys at NYRA will do is forbid bringing in all food and beverages into NYRA tracks so they can force people to purchase their crappy food and warm beer.
Storm Cadet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply