Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-01-2023, 11:36 PM   #181
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by $w1fT View Post
NYRA allows bad actors (Rice) to run rough shod over all three of their tracks but you expect them to throw Delgado out?
You made me look it up.

Linda Rice has had one equine racing death this year...in July at Belmont a horse collapsed after the race...unknown cause of death
Old 09-02-2023, 03:26 AM   #182
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by $w1fT View Post
I don’t think David O’Rourke would know a horse if it kicked him in the balls. Yet he is CEO
You really don't get a lot right. You don't know a single thing about Dave O'Rourke and the job he has done at NYRA in his various roles over the last roughly 15 years. Nothing. Yet you feel free come here and spout off any BS that comes into your mind.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2023, 08:27 AM   #183
king kong

PETA

Look what happened to greyhound racing... They keep chipping away!!!
king kong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2023, 08:59 AM   #184
The_Turf_Monster

Wow shocker, an unsound horse was injected, masked infirmities/pain to the horse, was pushed to the limit, and broke down?

Like I’ve said before, this sport is its own worst enemy. There are too many points of failure
The_Turf_Monster is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2023, 09:16 AM   #185
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
I'm sure he'd have been entered, but I think the issue is that 14 days is not long enough for the pain-relieving effects of the steroid injection to completely wear off, thereby masking soundness issues that might otherwise be detected in a pre-race vet exam. Seems to me 30 days is a step in the right direction.

I read some posts on Facebook, from horsemen, that they can resume training a day or two after these injections.

HISA has moved it to 30 days, but we don't know if that's because of data or if they are just trying to look cautious. I wonder if HISA screwed up because I thought the main reason for HISA was uniformity, but So. California had a 30 day period between these injections, and some other jurisdictions had
14 days.

What I'd like to know is, are modern-day trainers using this practice of injecting joints with steroids more now than they did years ago? These are the kinds of questions that we don't seem to get answers for. Before they all die, interview some of the oldest trainers who were successful and let's ask them, how important was drugs and your veterinarian to your overall success as a trainer? Do you think that modern day trainers are using these procedures and drugs in general more than you did back in the day?
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2023, 09:41 AM   #186
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post

HISA has moved it to 30 days, but we don't know if that's because of data or if they are just trying to look cautious. I wonder if HISA screwed up because I thought the main reason for HISA was uniformity, but So. California had a 30 day period between these injections, and some other jurisdictions had
14 days.
New York Thunder tragedy has HISA planning to ban corticosteroid injection within 30 days of race

Could be both, but the data does seem to suggest the 30-day wait is effective. From the article:

Prior to California's rule being implemented, the state saw 83 catastrophic injuries to fetlock joints in 20 months. After the rule, there were 24 over the following 19 months.

“Fourteen days is a step backward,” California Horse Racing Board chairman Dr. Greg Ferraro told The Times. “If you put any athlete in significant training, the health of joint disintegrates, you can't slow it down, but you can speed it up by putting corticosteroid in the fetlock. You inject to run. That culture needs to be eliminated.”
Old 09-02-2023, 09:47 AM   #187
Maximillion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
I read some posts on Facebook, from horsemen, that they can resume training a day or two after these injections.

14 days.

What I'd like to know is, are modern-day trainers using this practice of injecting joints with steroids more now than they did years ago? These are the kinds of questions that we don't seem to get answers for. Before they all die, interview some of the oldest trainers who were successful and let's ask them, how important was drugs and your veterinarian to your overall success as a trainer? Do you think that modern day trainers are using these procedures and drugs in general more than you did back in the day?
We don't know for sure what was going on back in the day and maybe never will.To me it does seem strange that we had so many all-time great horses in the 70s...year after year for the most part.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2023, 01:03 PM   #188
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion View Post
We don't know for sure what was going on back in the day and maybe never will.To me it does seem strange that we had so many all-time great horses in the 70s...year after year for the most part.
Nostalgia used to be so much better. I mean, I long for the days playing ball without a care in the world, but our grandparents when they would look back at the good old days there was a real sense of community, brotherhood even. We'll never recover that period of when Nostalgia was that grand. We'll never return to those days. My grandmother can talk about the great depression and with detail and emotion. Big deal about vaguely remembering my first kiss or whatever revised version I remember about the time I held my own against an NBA lottery pick. Nostalgia used to be so much better back in the day before my time.

Nostalgia used to mean something. Something deeply sentimental, not this superficial memory stuff in today's world.

PEDs have been part of racing ever since incentive and opportunity existed. Damn sure they were in the '70s. They never stopped anytime recently, either.

Remember Riva Ridge and Secretariat and the other greats for their greatness, but don't be too naive (unless you prefer to view it in run for the roses colored glasses

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 09-02-2023 at 01:06 PM. Reason: nostalgia the sentiment, not the horse for Mott or whatever
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-03-2023, 03:57 PM   #189
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac..._medium=social