Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-21-2020, 05:06 PM   #1
rosenowsr

There's more to life than living

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...66m-story.html

Sounds like a great idea. That's what is wrong with this planet. The human race.
rosenowsr is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2020, 09:12 PM   #2
sammy the sage

one begins to understand THE meaning of life when you plant an oak tree KNOWING that you will damn well NEVER sit in the shade of said tree....

I must confess...I didn't write that...somebody famous did....has always stuck with me tho...VAST meaning to that statement....

yeah...I'm sure that's not exactly how it was written....but google can bring it up if you wish...
Old 04-21-2020, 09:51 PM   #3
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy the sage View Post
one begins to understand THE meaning of life when you plant an oak tree KNOWING that you will damn well NEVER sit in the shade of said tree....

I must confess...I didn't write that...somebody famous did....has always stuck with me tho...VAST meaning to that statement....

yeah...I'm sure that's not exactly how it was written....but google can bring it up if you wish...
Warren Buffet supposedly but sayings like that were often first said by others but the most famous person gets the credit.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2020, 06:27 PM   #4
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenowsr View Post

"Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick is willing to risk his life to get Americans back to work."

That's what many of the essential workers have been doing all along. (Some of them are even minimum wage workers who people didn't think deserved minimum wage or are useless losers.)

They are the ones who have been providing life-sustaining and essential services, in sectors such as health care, grocery, transportation, public service, the U.S. Postal Service, emergency response, construction, manufacturing, meat processing, nursing homes, energy, utilities, and the 17 million workers who operate and maintain our infrastructure--
----and many have done so without personal protective equipment, testing, anti-retaliation protections, paid sick leave or hazard pay.

These are the "heroes" who have kept our country moving, fed, cared for and safe, and they need to be treated, protected and paid accordingly.

Maybe Dan Patrick can mouth some words and tell us how he's been risking his life on the front lines, with his large paycheck, tax-payer provided health care, protected pension, and political elite status.

I'd be interested to hear about how his experiences compare to those I mentioned. In the meantime, he's just another talking head paying lip service.

Im all for reopening the economy in a thoughtful way, but watching people like this guy beat his chest like he's some kind of brave hero is not part of it.

In the meantime, I choose to be cautious out there, as I refuse to be a dead just so Karen can go back and get her nails done.

Last edited by clicknow; 04-22-2020 at 06:33 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2020, 06:38 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

As an old guy who is at risk, I have no problem letting 90% go back to life as we knew it and ME take the special precautions I need to.

Bottom line, is the government is not violating the constitution and moving the goal posts.

The stay at home was meant to flatten the curve and avoid over running the hospitals. Well, the curve is flattened and the hospital were never CLOSE to being overwhelmed, no one died for lack of a ventilator.

Protesting will only get more intense as spring weather arrives.
And yes, some governors - ie, Michigan and New Jersey, are a acting totally stupid.

And of course, Kamadante De Blasio, Stasi Mayor of NYC.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:13 PM   #6
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
"Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick is willing to risk his life to get Americans back to work."

That's what many of the essential workers have been doing all along. (Some of them are even minimum wage workers who people didn't think deserved minimum wage or are useless losers.)

They are the ones who have been providing life-sustaining and essential services, in sectors such as health care, grocery, transportation, public service, the U.S. Postal Service, emergency response, construction, manufacturing, meat processing, nursing homes, energy, utilities, and the 17 million workers who operate and maintain our infrastructure--
----and many have done so without personal protective equipment, testing, anti-retaliation protections, paid sick leave or hazard pay.

These are the "heroes" who have kept our country moving, fed, cared for and safe, and they need to be treated, protected and paid accordingly.

Maybe Dan Patrick can mouth some words and tell us how he's been risking his life on the front lines, with his large paycheck, tax-payer provided health care, protected pension, and political elite status.

I'd be interested to hear about how his experiences compare to those I mentioned. In the meantime, he's just another talking head paying lip service.

Im all for reopening the economy in a thoughtful way, but watching people like this guy beat his chest like he's some kind of brave hero is not part of it.

In the meantime, I choose to be cautious out there, as I refuse to be a dead just so Karen can go back and get her nails done.
But just the essential workers aren't enough to keep our nation economically alive. What cannot be sustained is the current status quo. This is a war we're fighting against an invisible enemy. We need to send brave, willing "scouts" out to see what happens when we open up the country more. This nation did not become as great as it is by people playing it safe in their foxholes or safe spaces. We have always been risks-taking, can-do nation.

Now...if you, sir, want to hide out in your safe space (whatever that may be), that's fine. But there are many of us who want to get on with our lives. So, do us a favor, stay the HELL out of our way and let us make our own choices in this regard. After all, it's OUR lives we're risking -- just like the "essential" workers are risking theirs. I haven't heard of any huge numbers of those workers falling over dead from covid-19 either.