Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.57 average.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:25 PM   #46
Figman

Ragingmike

Did "The Bullet" die?
I thought he went to a more successful NYS harness track, Saratoga?
Figman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2005, 06:09 PM   #47
TrackManSam

Worst Announcer (thoroughbred) Mike Battaglia (and i meet people that love the guy, can't figure out why)

Best Announcer (thoroughbred) Trevor Denman (consistent, descriptive, exciting)

Worst Announcer (harness) Old man from Dover and the old man from Lebanon (Dover guy sounds disinterested, Lebanon guy just can't do it anymore)

Best Announcer (harness) Guy from Hazel Park (sounds young, but is one of the best up and comers in horse racing period in an awful long time)
TrackManSam is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2005, 07:26 PM   #48
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Only "The Bullet"s career died. He's up at Saratoga Harness, but he's not what he used to be. He doesn't pick up horses as sharply as he used to. And to think that Saratoga Harness gave up Scott Ehrlich (now at Maywood/Balmoral) for him! I'd say that would be the harness racing equivalent of the Babe Ruth trade.

I do like Jack Gallagher's (Dover/Harrington) style of calls. He doesn't make mistakes and he gets into the calls in the finish when the horses are battling each other. I strongly disagree with Track Man Sam with this one. He's right about Lebanon, but their assistant is 10X worse. Keep the old guy.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2005, 08:57 PM   #49
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman179
Only "The Bullet"s career died. He's up at Saratoga Harness, but he's not what he used to be. He doesn't pick up horses as sharply as he used to. And to think that Saratoga Harness gave up Scott Ehrlich (now at Maywood/Balmoral) for him! I'd say that would be the harness racing equivalent of the Babe Ruth trade.
I don't follow harness, but I "sort of wish" you could tell that to the people in the Harness Forum of Barn To Wire, our Chicago based website that began as with the TB's (my other online forum home). Many in the harness forum rag nastilly all the time about him, and about nearly everything. I don't know that the negativity is deserved - since half of those folks on that side just plain just love bitch, dis and aggavate everyone and everything in Chicago Harness, and sometimes TB. That's why I say "sort of wish", I really don't wish the expected ugly response from some of them on you - so wear your helmet and goggles if you do. www.barntowire.com - don't even mention my name on that side - never know what some of the natives will do next. I actually hesitate to even tempt people over there to read that side by providing the link. Just nice to read another opinion of Ehrlichs calls from someone outside of that forum. One day maybe I'll get to watch the Maywood/Balmoral races and hear his calls - those tracks are not the net, so I don't get to watch nor hear their signal much to sample it.

Last edited by Steve 'StatMan'; 02-18-2005 at 08:59 PM.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2005, 11:26 PM   #50
toetoe
Veteran

Y'know, I was on that wonderful KD site, watching old Derbies, and MBatt was doing it for a few years. I kept waiting for "GAIN-ing GROUND, ... and it never came! It was almost faultless. Dang!
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2005, 11:30 PM   #51
Observer
Support Res-Q Foundations

You need to watch 1981 - Pleasant Colony - if possible.

In the final 1/16th or so .. it goes something like this:

"Pleasant Colony draaaws off, Woodchooper GAAAINING GROUND!!!" (then they cross the wire).
Old 02-19-2005, 01:57 AM   #52
toetoe
Veteran

Observant One

It just occurred to me. Maybe that '81 Derby was the genesis of "GAINing GROUND." Woodchopper was a borderline no-hoper who burst into contention down the stretch. He was, ... well, gaining ground.

Hate to continue the off-topic stuff, but another GREAT announcer was Joe Alto @ NCal fairs and Cal Expo Harness. Can't explain it, but the same old chestnuts he rattled off always sounded good.

I'm gunna have dreams of Battaglia. Maybe I can buy rights to his voice and put it into cell phones and alarm clocks (nauseated look, uncontrollable shivering).
toetoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2005, 04:20 AM   #53
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

After watching OP since the meet started, I have to say this Wallace guy is really, really bad. A good thing is I find myself becoming a better race watcher knowing listening to his guesses is fruitless.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2005, 06:12 AM   #54
zuki
zuki

I have little experience with American racecallers. I haven't heard Denman. If anyone knows a website that features him calling some races, I'd appreciate it. As for Durkin, I can't stand the guy. It sounds like he takes a sip of coffee and a bite of doughnut in between calling each horse. Sounds just like whomever calls the professional wrestling (Oh My!) I also don't understand the need to remark on the time splits or at least to put so much emphasis on them. I'd rather hear the action. And I definitely don't get why the caller only calls the first 3 across the line (maybe 4) and then disregards the other finishers. Even if my horse is out of a place, I want to hear where it finished.

Obviously Aussie callers and American callers (the ones I've heard anyway) are poles apart. And it must come down to what you are brought up with and what you're used to.
Speaking for the major tracks here, I can't recall too many bad callers. If they're no good they don't get the gig. But I'm talking major tracks here. There might be a few shockers out in the bush.
As far as racecallers go, John Tapp is the best I've ever heard. Great enunciation, never hurried (even in large fields), seldom wrong in a tight finish, and extremely entertaining. He did visit the States at one time and made some calls. Apparently he impressed greatly and was offered a job. He declined, because I think he was retiring.
zuki is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2005, 07:35 AM   #55
arkansasman

Terry Wallace

Terry Wallace use to be fairly good, but he is terrible now. He misses horses, sometimes forgets horses and sometimes calls the wrong horse.
arkansasman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2005, 09:27 AM   #56
Valuist

Agree 100% on the Walrus. At one time, he was one of the best. Now he makes WAY to many mistakes. And screams a bit too much. Its one thing if you're Durkin and screaming about a BC Classic stretch run; its another if its a field of Arky bred Maiden claimers staggering to the "short stretch mile run".

I guess in the battle for worst, Battaglia would say "GAINING GROUND up from the OUTSIDE is Terry Wallace.....they're NEARING THE WIRE...

PS to Tom Durkin if for some reason you read this board: Your good but NEVER, EVER say "oh my" in the middle of a race call. It has to be the wussiest, most pathetic phrase used in a race call.

Last edited by Valuist; 02-19-2005 at 09:29 AM.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2005, 09:45 AM   #57
Zman179
Registered Wacko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve'StatMan'BTW
I don't follow harness, but I "sort of wish" you could tell that to the people in the Harness Forum of Barn To Wire, our Chicago based website that began as with the TB's (my other online forum home). Many in the harness forum rag nastilly all the time about him, and about nearly everything. I don't know that the negativity is deserved - since half of those folks on that side just plain just love bitch, dis and aggavate everyone and everything in Chicago Harness, and sometimes TB. That's why I say "sort of wish", I really don't wish the expected ugly response from some of them on you - so wear your helmet and goggles if you do. www.barntowire.com - don't even mention my name on that side - never know what some of the natives will do next. I actually hesitate to even tempt people over there to read that side by providing the link. Just nice to read another opinion of Ehrlichs calls from someone outside of that forum. One day maybe I'll get to watch the Maywood/Balmoral races and hear his calls - those tracks are not the net, so I don't get to watch nor hear their signal much to sample it.
You can watch the Balmoral/Maywood races on Xpressbet.com or watch the replays at http://www.racereplays.com/balmoral_maywood/ (it has a free signup).

After reading the barntowire.com board, I've decided to stay away from there. It's quite obvious that this "eyeinthesky" guy is an aspiring announcer that was rebuffed. Seems to me that's how it is considering that an announcer acts as an eye in the sky for the fans (thus maybe this guy's handle?) His venom just seems too personal.

After all, think about this: even "Gone With the Wind" got some bad reviews.

Last edited by Zman179; 02-19-2005 at 09:47 AM.
Zman179 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2005, 09:55 AM   #58
Valuist

The problem with Barntowire.com is that one guy, with multiple aliases, has ruined the forum. Its all pro-harness, anti-T-breds from a bitter guy who hates thoroughreds, hates Chicago, and hates pretty much everything in life.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2005, 10:54 AM   #59
TrackManSam

I certainly agree with you guys on Barn to wire. Poor Scott Ehrlich has to be cringing with the garbage that is posted. Hey, if you don't like his announcing, just say I don't like his announcing. Don't go on to berade the poor guy.

Thats one of the reasons I like this site. There are disagreements, but they are friendly, and it seems all points are discussed without the venom that seems to override other boards. You make your point, and you move on. Thats the way it should be.

I never liked Terry Wallace, but I am anxious to here the new guy at Calder. I enjoyed his calls at Thistledown, and this is a pretty good opportunity to get another main voice out of the deal. A fresh voice.

Track Man Sam
www.ventyourfrustration.com
TrackManSam is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2005, 11:11 AM   #60
Doc

Hey, any of you harness guys remember Jack E. Lee at Freehold? I think he was either canned or resigned in disgrace after some sort of embarrassing incident...can't recall the details. Anyway, he was just Gawd-awful with the way he called races...always used nicknames and had a monotone delivery. Long live Larry Lederman, King of Comedy!

Doc
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Reply