Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-28-2017, 08:08 PM   #16
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
...Just me, but, I think these jackpot-style bets are bad for the sport. Too much possibility exists for collusion or funny-business. Remember the Fix6 and all the bad press around that. Also remember the time Gulfstream stewards DQ'd the lone winner of the Rainbow 6 a few years ago.
Not just you. Even though this race today looks like an incident that can happen anytime, it's not often that a jock falling off at the wire results in the loss of $500K.

And you'll never, ever convince the person/people who had the in today's Rainbow 6 that is was an "accident"....that's easily a top 10 bad beat of all time....
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-28-2017, 11:16 PM   #17
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
Not just you. Even though this race today looks like an incident that can happen anytime, it's not often that a jock falling off at the wire results in the loss of $500K.

And you'll never, ever convince the person/people who had the in today's Rainbow 6 that is was an "accident"....that's easily a top 10 bad beat of all time....
Clearly the horse ducked in right out from under the jock.

Who started the current riding style? I wonder if it's really necessary. Lower the stirrups and give the jockeys some leg on the horse and it's far safer and we'd see less falls (including this one).
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2017, 12:35 AM   #18
WP1981

Looks like it is coming up on SVP's Sportscenter "bad beats" in a few mins on ESPN.
WP1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2017, 04:10 AM   #19
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post

I agree. I generally hste bad beat stories (I have seen it all), but this is right up there.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2017, 08:58 AM   #20
Ruffian1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Clearly the horse ducked in right out from under the jock.

Who started the current riding style? I wonder if it's really necessary. Lower the stirrups and give the jockeys some leg on the horse and it's far safer and we'd see less falls (including this one).
The old saying from the backside was :

" The longer you ride, the longer you ride ."
Ruffian1 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2017, 10:25 AM   #21
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Gulfstream is such a low-class operation.

They don't show the REPLAY after the race.

No explanation given.

No word on the condition of the jockey.
No track will show a replay when a jock goes down, this is for the safety of the jockey and nothing to do with a cheaply run track as you mentioned.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:10 AM   #22
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian1 View Post
The old saying from the backside was :

" The longer you ride, the longer you ride ."
So true. The exercise riders tried the new style but have changed back for the most part riding with the irons lower. I guess no jock wants to lead the way in looking "less pretty" than being perched over their withers.

I have wondered if anyone's thought to study the impact of 115 pounds perched over the withers and down the front legs. Maybe that has an impact on front limb fractures.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:12 AM   #23
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99 View Post
No track will show a replay when a jock goes down, this is for the safety of the jockey and nothing to do with a cheaply run track as you mentioned.
I'd think it may be out of respect for a possible severely injured jockey as I can't see how showing a replay would be a safety concern.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:30 AM   #24
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
I'd think it may be out of respect for a possible severely injured jockey as I can't see how showing a replay would be a safety concern.
At the time the race is being run and a jock is injured no one knows for sure if the injury is serious or not, so the tracks, all of them do not show any replays of the incident. I have heard Todd say on TVG this is "for the safety of the jock and the well being of the horse" and it sounded like a good explanation at that time....
Old 12-29-2017, 11:48 AM   #25
dilanesp

Quote:
California replays spills all the time.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2017, 11:50 AM   #26
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
At the time the race is being run and a jock is injured no one knows for sure if the injury is serious or not, so the tracks, all of them do not show any replays of the incident. I have heard Todd say on TVG this is "for the safety of the jock and the well being of the horse" and it sounded like a good explanation at that time....
Yes, but I thought Todd's explanation was weird. Safety? How does showing the replay affect the safety of the jockey? I can see not showing out of respect until it's known that he's ok, but just can't see how it has anything to do with safety.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:00 PM   #27
jay68802

Showing a replay of an accident is seen by some to be catering to fans that might "enjoy" seeing a tragic accident. It started when Joe Theisman had his leg broken on Monday Night Football and they replayed it 20 + times. I still can't watch that.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2017, 12:03 PM   #28
Denny
Veteran

Gulfstream seemed more interested in cutting away to their South America simulcast than informing the public on what happened.

Do they think no one cares?

No mention of the Rainbow 6 being lost because of it by the announcer either.

Just another thing to put on my list of why I can't stand them and won't bet that track.
Denny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2017, 12:14 PM   #29
Denny
Veteran

DRF doesn't even mention the incident.

Paulick Report leaves it out of the Headline on the carryover.

Let's just ignore these things.

Is everybody on Stronach's payroll?
Old 12-29-2017, 12:34 PM   #30
Denny
Veteran

Just appeared at Paulick. Only took a day. LOL

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: