Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 07-13-2020, 06:59 PM   #1
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

NBA 2019-20 season completion in Orlando

The NBA hopes to complete its 2019-20 season and crown a champion by way of a 22-team restart in a bubble environment at Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Fla.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bu...courts#slide-1

Sounds like a good plan but I think the monkey wrench here is the inaccuracy of the covid tests. Last month, a Phillies employee came down with severe covid symptoms but tested negative. He was so sick they tested him the next day and it was positive.

If any NBA player gets it, it won't take long for everyone to come down with it.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2020, 12:20 AM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Lots already have it. Suspect this is going to get ugly. Russell Westbrook the latest announced today.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2020, 02:22 PM   #3
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

What kind of enthusiasm is out there for a completion of the season in this manner? I can't sense any, but then I'm a casual pro basketball fan at best.

Wouldn't it be better to plan for a start to the next season, whenever that may occur?
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2020, 05:14 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
What kind of enthusiasm is out there for a completion of the season in this manner? I can't sense any, but then I'm a casual pro basketball fan at best.

Wouldn't it be better to plan for a start to the next season, whenever that may occur?
I'm a diehard fan and I've lost interest. I'm sure I'll watch most OKC games but otherwise no. It is a money grab at this point.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2020, 01:45 PM   #5
horsefan2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post

Its so that they can get the rest of the TV money this season.
horsefan2019 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2020, 03:38 PM   #6
Tor Ekman

I hope it's a giant clusterf*ck, they deserve it
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2020, 02:54 PM   #7
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I'm a diehard fan and I've lost interest. I'm sure I'll watch most OKC games but otherwise no. It is a money grab at this point.
I can turn on the game and see some tall olympic level athlete on PEDs shoot 3s and travel and do an impressive dunk with replays and highlights and salesmanship.

It's impressive... But ever year, I get a little more 'curmudgeon'... The lack of the season and storyline development, and the forced atmosphere hurts my interest.

But, they put on an entertaining show, so I can't rule out that there won't be some interesting or at least entertaining matchups.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:05 PM   #8
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Tuned in to the Dodgers vs. Giants game last night.

Lost interest within half an inning... turned the game off with two outs in the bottom of the first.

As a lifelong baseball fan, I'm trying to figure out exactly why I lost interest.

I think the cardboard cutouts of fake fans propped up in the stands had something to do with it.

Fake fans and zero crowd noise... for me that translates to zero electricity and zero interest.

I realize this thread is about the NBA.

But I think my lack of interest for last night's Dodgers vs. Giants game is relevant here.

As a lifelong baseball fan, if fake fans and lack of electricity from crowd noise translates to not being able to sit through a full inning of what under normal circumstances would be a rivalry game:

How in the world am I supposed to get excited about NBA games being played in a bubble?

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 07-24-2020 at 04:08 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2020, 04:29 PM   #9
JustRalph
Just another Facist

https://www.foxnews.com/media/jason-...-china-revenue

I’m not a big fan of Whitlock, but lately he has been right......
Old 07-24-2020, 04:57 PM   #10
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
https://www.foxnews.com/media/jason-...-china-revenue

I’m not a big fan of Whitlock, but lately he has been right......
I'm wearing a pair of 'Air-Jordans' right now.

I think I paid $140?

Maybe $10? to the Chinese factor for this pair. = for the worker maybe 5 cents? ($10.00 minus Owner, materials/expenses, manager, = Worker). 5-50cents depending on the time and volume...

Then you have to ship it, and pay Michael, and his agent. That's got to be another $35 or so...

then you've got the retailer (eastbay.com) and the owner of retailer's market position... $25 or so?

Maybe $75 left for Nike and the NBA partners... ?

I don't know the exact figures.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:45 PM   #11
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
Tuned in to the Dodgers vs. Giants game last night.

Lost interest within half an inning... turned the game off with two outs in the bottom of the first.

As a lifelong baseball fan, I'm trying to figure out exactly why I lost interest.

I think the cardboard cutouts of fake fans propped up in the stands had something to do with it.

Fake fans and zero crowd noise... for me that translates to zero electricity and zero interest.

I realize this thread is about the NBA.

But I think my lack of interest for last night's Dodgers vs. Giants game is relevant here.

As a lifelong baseball fan, if fake fans and lack of electricity from crowd noise translates to not being able to sit through a full inning of what under normal circumstances would be a rivalry game:

How in the world am I supposed to get excited about NBA games being played in a bubble?

-jp

those are creepy...

it feels weird. I'm surprised they don't have masks...

the fake crowd noise and the announcer over-playing every call is weird too...

it's a tough call, and for all i know, they could be more correct about what the public wants to see and hear.

if it were up to my interest, I'd like to pickup some more sounds like the pop of the ball into the catcher's mitt, or off the bat. The grunt of the batter, the 'whiff' of the swing...

is there any way to sell 'tickets' to fans who want to cheer from home? IDK what to suggest

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 07-24-2020 at 06:47 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2020, 08:17 PM   #12
Jeff P

Imo, '86 the cardboard cutout fans and fake crowd noise.

Mic the rosters on both sides... coaching staffs too.

Put everything on (say) a 3 second delay... do some editing if you have to.

But make the best of whatever is said part of the broadcast.

Let the audience experience what really goes on during a game.

Also, allow 1,000 or 2,000 actual people into the stands. Ballparks are huge. Plenty of room to spread out.

Use directional mics to work actual crowd noise into the broadcast.

Gotta be better than what they're currently doing.

-jp

Old 07-24-2020, 08:28 PM   #13
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
those are creepy...

it feels weird. I'm surprised they don't have masks...

the fake crowd noise and the announcer over-playing every call is weird too...

it's a tough call, and for all i know, they could be more correct about what the public wants to see and hear.

if it were up to my interest, I'd like to pickup some more sounds like the pop of the ball into the catcher's mitt, or off the bat. The grunt of the batter, the 'whiff' of the swing...

is there any way to sell 'tickets' to fans who want to cheer from home? IDK what to suggest
Re: the bolded part of the above quote --

IDK, maybe you have something there.

Could they could mic-up a few thousand fans watching remotely? An equal number from both sides? And mix it in such a way that it becomes actual crowd noise that can be worked into the broadcast?

-jp

Old 07-30-2020, 05:36 PM   #14
crestridge
Paladin & Fudge

I'm a life long basketball "gym rat guy", but I'm with ya all, my interest is deteriorating, rapidly. So many people suffering now, in many ways, and you have Rhondo c/o of a cheap room, provided, for him free. I think things are outta control and the public pays the bills. Cut back, keep focus on the "tbreds". The process of analyzing the "breds", has so much more to offer!!
crestridge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2020, 02:44 PM   #15
Jeff P

Saw this on the ESPN.com site yesterday. Thought about starting a new thread but decided to post it here.

ESPN investigation finds coaches at NBA China academies complained of player abuse, lack of schooling:
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...lack-schooling

Quote:
LONG BEFORE AN October tweet in support of Hong Kong protesters spotlighted the NBA's complicated relationship with China, the league faced complaints from its own employees over human rights concerns inside an NBA youth-development program in that country, an ESPN investigation has found.

American coaches at three NBA training academies in China told league officials their Chinese partners were physically abusing young players and failing to provide schooling, even though commissioner Adam Silver had said that education would be central to the program, according to multiple sources with direct knowledge of the complaints.

The NBA ran into myriad problems by opening one of the academies in Xinjiang, a police state in western China where more than a million Uighur Muslims are now held in barbed-wire camps. American coaches were frequently harassed and surveilled in Xinjiang, the sources said. One American coach was detained three times without cause; he and others were unable to obtain housing because of their status as foreigners.

A former league employee compared the atmosphere when he worked in Xinjiang to "World War II Germany."

In an interview with ESPN about its findings, NBA deputy commissioner and chief operating officer Mark Tatum, who oversees international operations, said the NBA is "reevaluating" and "considering other opportunities" for the academy program, which operates out of sports facilities run by the Chinese government. Last week, the league acknowledged for the first time it had closed the Xinjiang academy, but, when pressed, Tatum declined to say whether human rights were a factor.

"We were somewhat humbled," Tatum said of the academy project in China. "One of the lessons that we've learned here is that we do need to have more direct oversight and the ability to make staffing changes when appropriate."

In October, Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey's tweet in support of pro-democracy protesters led the Chinese government to pull the NBA from state television, costing the league hundreds of millions of dollars. The controversy continues to reverberate, as the NBA prepares to resume play this week after a 4 1/2-month hiatus because of the coronavirus pandemic. China Central TV recently said it still won't air NBA games, and U.S. lawmakers have raised questions about the league's business ties to China.

The ESPN investigation, which began after Morey's tweet, sheds new light on the lucrative NBA-China relationship and the costs of doing business with a government that suppresses free expression and is accused of cultural genocide.
Imo, problematic if not embarrassing for the NBA, and just one more reason to distance ourselves from China

-jp

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: