Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-16-2015, 08:28 AM   #1
elysiantraveller

Joint Strike Fighter

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/16/politi...sts/index.html

Being a military aviation buff I always find it interesting when articles focus on minor things. The JSF was never built to be a true air superiority platform that's why we have the F-22. Of course it's going to be at an Energy disadvantage against true ASF's being a single engine aircraft same goes for a turn and burn dogfight with a F-16. The plane is designed to replace everything from the F-18 to the A-10 but never truly be better than those dedicated platforms.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
delayjf

I'm surprised the Navy did not insist on a twin engine version. For safety reasons the Navy has always preferred twin engine fighters. It will be interesting to see how the Marine Corps V-Stol version performs compared to the Harrier, which was plagued with maintenance issues its entire career.

The truth of the matter is, right now, due to vectored thrust on the new line of Soviet fighters, they can out manuver all US aircraft with the exception of the F-22, which also has vectored trust.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-16-2015, 10:29 AM   #3
DJofSD
Screw PC

Time to remake "Top Gun?"
Old 07-16-2015, 10:46 AM   #4
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf
The truth of the matter is, right now, due to vectored thrust on the new line of Soviet fighters, they can out manuver all US aircraft with the exception of the F-22, which also has vectored trust.
Exactly.

The JSF was never meant to match up against a MiG-29 or Su-27. The F-22 was purpose built to wipe the sky clean of them, including the T-50 under development. Its a good thing they're making a new Independence Day film because the only real world adversary for that plane would be aliens.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
BlueChip@DRF
Random Numbers Generator

Location: In the grandstand looking under the seats for tickets or food
"The Seventh Carrier"
Old 07-16-2015, 11:05 AM   #6
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller
The plane is designed to replace everything from the F-18 to the A-10 but never truly be better than those dedicated platforms.
China seems to like it.

We twisted Israel's arm to take them after we agreed to sell the plane 'open source'.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:46 PM   #7
delayjf

Quote:
The JSF was never meant to match up against a MiG-29 or Su-27. The F-22 was purpose built to wipe the sky clean of them, including the T-50 under development. Its a good thing they're making a new Independence Day film because the only real world adversary for that plane would be aliens.
We could do what the Russians did and add vectored thrust to our F-16 / F-15 / F-18. McDonald Douglass actually built a proto-type F-15 with vectored thrust, but it never went into production.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:04 PM   #8
elysiantraveller

Quote:
We could do what the Russians did and add vectored thrust to our F-16 / F-15 / F-18. McDonald Douglass actually built a proto-type F-15 with vectored thrust, but it never went into production.
Someone (Lockheed?) did it with an F-16 too.

The fact is though the need for sheer dogfighting ability has decreased dramatically. The JSF is perfectly capable against all comers if it can control the terms of an engagement and high enough survivability rate to escape if need be.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:11 PM   #9
delayjf

I'm not so confident, I read an article a while back regarding how our current aircraft (I believe F-15 / 16) did during air to air combat against India's MIG-35 and SU-30 the results were not good for the F-15

http://vayu-sena.tripod.com/comparison-f15-su30-1.html
Old 07-16-2015, 06:17 PM   #10
delayjf

From another article:

Quote:
The clear implication of the RAND study is that the F-35 is very likely to wind up facing many more “up close and personal” opponents than its proponents suggest, while dealing with effective beyond-visual-range infrared-guided missiles as an added complication. Unlike the F-22, the F-35 is described as “double inferior” to modern SU-30 family fighters within visual range combat; thrust and wing loading issues are summed up in one RAND background slide as “can’t [out]turn, can’t [out]climb, can’t [out]run
.”

http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...roversy-05089/
Old 07-16-2015, 07:07 PM   #11
elysiantraveller

Quote:
I'm not so confident, I read an article a while back regarding how our current aircraft (I believe F-15 / 16) did during air to air combat against India's MIG-35 and SU-30 the results were not good for the F-15

http://vayu-sena.tripod.com/comparison-f15-su30-1.html
The C's had all of those systems upgraded in the late 2000s as part of the 4th generation modernization effort.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:18 PM   #12
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller
The C's had all of those systems upgraded in the late 2000s as part of the 4th generation modernization effort.
The F-15 is a wonderful airframe and advancements have kept it competitive. Boeing tried to build a stealthier version and several countries expressed interest but were steered toward the JSF.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: