Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-30-2010, 09:55 AM   #16
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplayersbet.com
Not sure if you are being sarcastic. I've seen a few trainers enter horses in other jurisdictions hoping to have the entry get by. Usually happens with low level claimers.
Sorry, that was indeed sarcasm. When you're a trainer, you know when you have a horse on the vet's list. If you don't, you probably shouldn't be a trainer.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2010, 10:42 AM   #17
bushwick

Steelix

Ran at Del on 7-7-08. I dont see how he got on the vet list at Sar. He never shows a race there in his life. Unless they took him there after the Del. race the time frame seems kind of close. This horse was claimed 8-15-08 at Lrl. I am curious about this one.
bushwick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2010, 10:53 AM   #18
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwick
Ran at Del on 7-7-08. I dont see how he got on the vet list at Sar. He never shows a race there in his life. Unless they took him there after the Del. race the time frame seems kind of close. This horse was claimed 8-15-08 at Lrl. I am curious about this one.
Great question, but I'm assuming if there were nothing to this matter, Mr. Ziadie would have appealed it and had it turned over.
Old 01-30-2010, 11:49 AM   #19
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Seller
"The track, owned by Churchill Downs Inc., had a reason for not charging him with anything. If it accused Ziadie of a specific offense, the case could drag through racing's legal system for years."
Yes, and most probably due to the reason, they made a helluva mistake when they blindly followed Tampa's actions where Terry Houghton, who filed suit, was not guilty of anything at good ol' sharpely run Tampa, yet was, and still, remains not allowed to ride at Arlington or other CDI tracks.

Houghton, who, as Paulick has said, "I hope owns them (Arlington and CDI) before all is over."

Indeed, Tampa always gets things right! You bet.

Due process? . . . . this was the biggest incident of bafoonery to come to racing in the last decade involving allegations lodged towards jockeys or trainers. Where's Terry now? Still in the hinterlands, after having won how many riding titles? A career ruined.

Give Berube and Tampa Bay Downs the time of day due to their "investigative work" and due process? I don't think so. Wouldn't give them a dime of my wagering dollars.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...on-jockey-bans

Excerpt: from 2007 article

During the Illinois hearing, the TRPB was unable to produce material evidence that expressly implicates Houghton in the fixing of races. Though Houghton voluntarily submitted to a polygraph test that he made available to the TRPB and the FBI, neither organization has made use of that material.
According to TRPB president Frank Fabian, no cell phone records have been secured to connect Houghton with anyone who wagered on the races in question, nor has there been an investigation into Houghton’s bank records to search for unusual deposits.

“I have no information that (Houghton) received money for (holding back) a horse,” Fabian said.

“Do you have any information that he was paid any money to not do the best on a horse?” asked Art Engelland, Houghton’s attorney.

“I do not have that information, no,” Fabian said.

The TRPB also went against the opinion of the Michigan Racing Commission and stewards who reviewed the films of the races in question and found no suspicious activities on Houghton’s part, according to the transcript of the hearing. (It was initially reported here that it was the Minnesota Racing Commission, which was incorrect.)

“The fact that Churchill Downs chose to move against Terry is a slap in the face of every racing commissioner in the country,” Engelland told The Blood-Horse. “Protecting the integrity of racing is the state commission’s job. A racetrack should never move on guesswork. In this TRPB investigation, no one ever talked to the trainers of any horses, never talked to the vets or grooms, never looked at the PPs to see if a race was out of line on a Beyer (speed figure) basis...they’re going on pure speculation and supposition.”

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/in...other-jockeys/

Excerpt: from 2009 column

Former jockey Ricardo A. Valdes, one of seven riders banned from Tampa Bay Downs in December 2006, was indicted Wednesday along with two Michigan businessmen on 19 federal counts of conspiracy to commit wire fraud, conspiracy to influence sporting contests by bribery, and unlawful use of a facility in interstate commerce—all in connection with a series of alleged race fixing incidents at Tampa Bay Downs in Florida, Delaware Park in Delaware and Great Lakes Downs in Michigan, from December 2005-December 2006.

The other jockeys banned by Tampa Bay Downs in December 2006 were Terry Houghton, Joseph Judice, Derek Bell, Jorge Bracho, Luis Castillo and Jose Delgado. Of that group, only Houghton and Bell rode in any of the races cited in the indictment. Bell finished seventh in the Jan. 29 race on Greatest Creation, who showed early speed at 8-1 odds. Houghton finished third Jan. 31 on Camilles Castle, a 6-1 shot who “chased the leaders but failed to respond in the drive,” according to the chart.
Bell told the Thoroughbred Times in January 2007 he was questioned by the Thoroughbred Racing Protective Bureau about the Jan. 29, 2006, race in question but denied any wrongdoing.

None of the other jockeys banned by Tampa Bay was named in the indictment. The Tampa Bay ban on all seven jockeys still stands.

Peter Berube, the Tampa Bay Downs vice president and general manager, declined to comment on the indictment, which provided no specific details about alleged race fixing at Delaware Park or Great Lakes Downs.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #20
illinoisbred

That was a travesty of justice in regards to Houghton,Derek Bell, and several others.
illinoisbred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2010, 11:55 AM   #21
Bobby Seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplayersbet.com
"oxyphenbutazone holds the title for the highest possible score for a single play under American tournament Scrabble rules, scoring 1,780 points across three triple-word-score squares, joining seven tiles to eight already played tiles."
Bobby Seller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2010, 11:57 AM   #22
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisbred
That was a travesty of justice in regards to Houghton,Derek Bell, and several others.
But you aren't relating this back to Kirk Ziadie, are you?
Old 01-30-2010, 11:57 AM   #23
illinoisbred

No
illinoisbred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #24
Kimsus
Veteran

He has 1 horse entered today Sir Allahad in the 5th listed at 8-1ML, wonder if that will drop to 3-1 at post time.
Kimsus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #25
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
But you aren't relating this back to Kirk Ziadie, are you?
You should've asked me instead of putting Illinois on the spot. He didn't post the comments. And no, it doesn't relate to Zaide, but the post does allow us to be reminded, the stellar run management of TAMPA doesn't always get it right. Just ask Houghton and others. (We tend, though, to have short memories; this long having been forgotten.)

Zaide is a problem, just as Gill is a problem. But, as DeanT noted, it seems Canada is doing a much better job of their problems than WE ARE!!!
Old 01-30-2010, 12:12 PM   #26
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
You should've asked me instead of putting Illinois on the spot. He didn't post the comments. And no, it doesn't relate to Zaide, but the post does allow us to be reminded, the stellar run management of TAMPA doesn't always get it right. Just ask Houghton and others. (We tend, though, to have short memories; this long having been forgotten.)

Zaide is problem, just as Gill is a problem. But, as DeanT noted, it seems Canada is doing a much better job of their problems than WE ARE!!!
I wasn't trying to put him on the spot, just asking him a question. Sorry if I misdirected the question.

If you want to talk about the Tampa case, you might want to start a different thread. I'm sure mgt at Tampa isn't perfect, but they sure do seem to put up good results.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:14 PM   #27
Horseplayersbet.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits

Zaide is a problem, just as Gill is a problem. But, as DeanT noted, it seems Canada is doing a much better job of their problems than WE ARE!!!
Canada does have super trainers too, like Terry Jordan. He is just as remarkable a trainer as Ziadie is.

Horseplayersbet.com is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #28
Grits

There's no need for another thread at all, this is a case of, once again, Andy Beyer speaks out to everyone involved on the problems of this sport. Zaidie happens to be today's topical ointment, for what's becoming a diagnosis of Stage Four cancer, and rightfully so.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:19 PM   #29
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

I don't care if there's another thread, but the owner of the forum doesn't like things to stray too far off-topic.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:20 PM   #30
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
I don't care if there's another thread, but the owner of the forum doesn't like things to stray too far off-topic.
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.