Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-23-2010, 05:00 PM   #16
horses721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light
Minor leagues like

Jerry Hollendorfer?
Art Sherman?
Greg Gilchrist?
Blind Luck?
Hysterical Lady?
Lost in the Fog?
Victor Espinoza?(couldn't beat Baze)
Martin Garcia?(couldn't beat Baze)
Joel Rosario?(couldn't beat Baze)

Just to name a few that come to mind. They have repeatedly shown the big leagues how its done in NoCal.
All the horses, jockeys and trainers that you have named have had great success at major league tracks compared to Baze. Russell dominates the minors! Why isn't he riding Blind luck for his main trainer who he rides for in the minor leagues? How come he's had so few triple crown and Breeders Cup mounts if he is so great? He has more mounts in the claiming crowns races than in the Triple Crown and Breeders cup races. I think that says alot about how great he is in the eyes of owners and trainers at the highest levels of racing.

Finally, do you really think that if Espinoza, Garcia and Rosario were still riding in NoCal, that Baze would still be top rider? I don't think so. Unlike Baze, those 3 you named that couldn't beat Baze stayed for a short time at NoCal and moved on to bigger things. Russel did that and ran back to NoCal with his tail between his legs when he wasn't so successful.

Last edited by horses721; 08-23-2010 at 05:03 PM.
horses721 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2010, 02:33 AM   #17
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses721
Why isn't he riding Blind luck for his main trainer who he rides for in the minor leagues?
He was Lost in the Fog's regular rider and he does get sent down to SoCal regularly for big races. He has led the nation in victories 10 different years. What does that mean? That there isn't one other dominate jock at some low level or high level track that can dominate like Baze. If its so easy to be a dominant jock in NoCal,why don't some other big names just come here and take over Baze's job from him? And if they did,would they win the riding title 10 different years? We can speculate why he isn't riding Blind Luck and he is no good for betting value, but give the guy credit for something very difficult to accomplish for any jock.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2010, 10:48 AM   #18
Bruiser1

Quote:
What he is doing is riding in short fields at a minor leauge track.
LOL!!! You post as if only Northern Ca. has short fields.

In terms of the minor league argument, I just don't see it that way. If it's so easy to win races there, why haven't many of the Southern Ca. jockey's colony, who seldom win races, moved up north?
Bruiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2010, 02:18 PM   #19
horses721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser1

In terms of the minor league argument, I just don't see it that way. If it's so easy to win races there, why haven't many of the Southern Ca. jockey's colony, who seldom win races, moved up north?
Jocks don't go to NoCal because there aren't many horses to ride because of the short fields and secondly, the purses aren't that great so why go there to win more races and take a paycut. Those that leave SoCal move to tracks with larger purses than what they offer in NoCal . Why do you think Mike Baze went to Chicago and David Cohen went to Philly for the large slot purses just to name a few. Chris McCarron didn't stay at a minor league track like Suffolk Downs so he could win alot of races. Martin Garcia didn't stay in NoCal because what was the point of wasting his talent up there and make less money. Russell Baze tried to make it in the big in the early 80's and couldn't cut it so he went back to the minor leagues so his record doesn't mean so much. Bottom line, Pincay won at the highest level while competiting against some of the toughest jockies in the world. Russell Baze can't even come close to that competition level so his win record means nothing to me. Heck, even Kayla Stra isn't a half bad jock riding in NoCal. That's all you need to know about his jockey competition.

Last edited by horses721; 08-24-2010 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #20
46zilzal
velocitician

Saw Laffit one year ride at bay Meadows for two weeks. He brought home a maiden in his first week, that had gone 0-32 before he rode her. After two weeks he was in the top ten riders before he left for New York
Old 08-25-2010, 04:21 PM   #21
horses721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser1

Still waiting for a reply to my reply to your post quoted above?
Old 08-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #22
Bruiser1

Quote:
Still waiting for a reply to my reply to your post quoted above?
Sorry for keeping you waiting.......

Baze has made his career in northern California. You seem to assume he did so due to a lack of talent, as compared to Jockeys in Southern California.

I don't know Russell Baze as I've never met him. I don't know his reasons for choosing to make his career where he did. I do know he is 52 years, still working hard and currently owns the most career victories of any Jockey...ever. To me, that does reflect talent and should be respected.
Bruiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #23
Stillriledup
Veteran

Russell's 50,000th MOUNT takes place today at GG. He's 6 rides away from 50k. He figures to accept the mount on Finish Rich in NYC in Race 6 as his 50,000th mount....she's 7-5 ML, so he might very well win with this particular mare. Amazing accomplishment.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #24
davew

They said on HRTV that his 'race' mileage is enough to ride around the world twice at the equater - I have not calculated to see if that is correct...
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #25
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew
They said on HRTV that his 'race' mileage is enough to ride around the world twice at the equater - I have not calculated to see if that is correct...
If he was in 25,000 sprints and 25,000 routes and you say that 7F is the average distance he covered, or even if you round it up to one mile, its about 45,000 or 50,000 miles. The circumference around the earth is about 25,000 miles, so he's gone around the world about 2 times, their math is pretty accurate.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #26
JustRalph
Just another Facist

50k rides is incredible.

Has he ever been seriously injured ?
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #27
bks

What a silly comparison: Baze and Zenyatta. On what planet was Zenyatta ever in the minor leagues? Every one of her races came at a major track, and she had 13 G1 wins from 20 races, including 2 Breeders Cup wins.

How many G1 wins does Baze have from 50,000 races?
bks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #28
picojim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bks
What a silly comparison: Baze and Zenyatta. On what planet was Zenyatta ever in the minor leagues? Every one of her races came at a major track, and she had 13 G1 wins from 20 races, including 2 Breeders Cup wins.

How many G1 wins does Baze have from 50,000 races?
Baze has won many major stakes, including the following Grade 1 events: Ancient Title Handicap (with Smiling Tiger in 2010), King’s Bishop (Lost in the Fog-2005), Santa Monica Handicap (Devils Orchid-1991), and Oak Tree Invitational (twice, Hawkster-1989, Both Ends Burning-1984).
picojim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2013, 08:04 PM   #29
bks

So the answer is 5 G1 wins? OK.

I know how good he is. He's not nearly as good a jockey as Zenyatta was a horse. Not nearly. But he's a very good jockey. Hope he rides until he's 60.
bks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #30
Shelby

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
50k rides is incredible.

Has he ever been seriously injured ?

I don't know about the injuries...but, DAMN 50k is amazing.
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote Reply