Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-30-2020, 10:11 AM   #1
Equifan

Delaware, 6th race -- 6/17/20

I saw a questionable finish at Delaware, June 17, 2020 - 6th race.

The chart makes no mention of what I (think) I saw; but I watched the replay to verify. Hugh McMahon had a horse, Golazo, in with one of my "mark this down!" 141-2h mile works. Problem was, McMahon legs-up a boy EIGHT POUNDS OVERWEIGHT. I cancelled my wager.

Golazo finished 4th @ 99-1. The horse that finishes 3rd was sucking air and fading quickly. Golazo's rider, for all practical purposes, stops riding just soon enough to make sure he doesn't finish better than 4th..

Note the favorite's finish and the pari-mutels, specifically the Super.

Ling to replay (educational purposes only)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rpcxtsmum6...34-41.mkv?dl=0

I submitted a question to "Ask Ray" Paulick but got no response.

I'd be interested in others's thoughts
Equifan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2020, 10:40 AM   #2
jay68802

The is making a run up the rail. The fading does drift over towards the rail and when the hole started to close the jockey on the stops riding. Will say he still had room to go through the hole, but think he took the safe choice and instead of trying to go through a hole that might get shut off completely, stopped. "Quit riding" would not be how I would describe his actions. Would describe is as a "stay safe" ride.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2020, 10:57 AM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

For future reference, Delaware is one of many tracks that put all replays on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTg...s?pbjreload=10
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2020, 11:41 AM   #4
Onesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
The is making a run up the rail. The fading does drift over towards the rail and when the hole started to close the jockey on the stops riding. Will say he still had room to go through the hole, but think he took the safe choice and instead of trying to go through a hole that might get shut off completely, stopped. "Quit riding" would not be how I would describe his actions. Would describe is as a "stay safe" ride.
The head on shows plenty of room, no need to stop riding.

If it was HK, the rider would have a month vacation right now.
Onesome is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2020, 02:07 PM   #5
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equifan View Post
I saw a questionable finish at Delaware, June 17, 2020 - 6th race.

The chart makes no mention of what I (think) I saw; but I watched the replay to verify. Hugh McMahon had a horse, Golazo, in with one of my "mark this down!" 141-2h mile works. Problem was, McMahon legs-up a boy EIGHT POUNDS OVERWEIGHT. I cancelled my wager.

Golazo finished 4th @ 99-1. The horse that finishes 3rd was sucking air and fading quickly. Golazo's rider, for all practical purposes, stops riding just soon enough to make sure he doesn't finish better than 4th..

Note the favorite's finish and the pari-mutels, specifically the Super.

Ling to replay (educational purposes only)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rpcxtsmum6...34-41.mkv?dl=0

I submitted a question to "Ask Ray" Paulick but got no response.

I'd be interested in others's thoughts
My thoughts are:
1) This was the first day of racing after the coronavirus delay and many, many riders were at least 5 or 6 pounds overweight. Normally the 8 lbs. might be noteworthy but it was a long list like that. You couldn't remove a rider for being overweight when half the jocks' room was 6 pounds over.

2) If there was some sort of form darkening (not sure why you'd have to do that for a 99-1 shot), the next start would be better. The horse ran back since this race in question and finished 11th.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2020, 08:52 AM   #6
Equifan

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
My thoughts are:
1) This was the first day of racing after the coronavirus delay and many, many riders were at least 5 or 6 pounds overweight. Normally the 8 lbs. might be noteworthy but it was a long list like that. You couldn't remove a rider for being overweight when half the jocks' room was 6 pounds over.

2) If there was some sort of form darkening (not sure why you'd have to do that for a 99-1 shot), the next start would be better. The horse ran back since this race in question and finished 11th.
Thanks for your perspective.

I'll give you that overweights in general might have been more forgivable, eight pounds is not. Beato clocked in at 124. I find it hard to believe there weren't options. (see charts for that day)

"Form darkening" wasn't the issue in my mind, more along the lines of a jock's race and the gimmick's generous payouts. As for Golazo's next race -- different track, different distance, different jock, etc
Old 07-31-2020, 08:57 AM   #7
Equifan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
For future reference, Delaware is one of many tracks that put all replays on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTg...s?pbjreload=10
Thanks, I wasn't aware of that.