Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-18-2018, 10:58 AM   #1
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

R8 G1 Del Mar Oaks 8/18/18

Pacific Classic Stakes day, and while the card isn't full of Graded Stakes races, it is full of some interesting and tough races. Especially in the Pick 6, and Late Pick 5, 4, and 3 in which a 2YO MSW race is sprinkled into all of those.

Part of this mix is the R8 G1 Del Mar Oaks with a field of 12 going the quirky 1 and 1/8th mile on the Del Mar green stuff.

Ms Peintour: She has plenty of tries at a number of peers in here, and hasn't fared too well. Can give a bit of an excuse in the G2 San Clemente as she broke from the dreaded 12 hole, but she didn't do much running in that one finishing a beaten 8th against many of the same she'll see again today. Gotta expect they'll look to get her out today and not pinched on the rail. She is a tough one to get to, and would need to run a career best to hit the board.

Streetwithnoname: Ok, so she has back to back wins including her win two back at this venue at 37/1. Four back she lost to the , and did encounter some late trouble. She is undoubtedly improving, so not without a complete no chance today, but others seem much more preferable.

Fool's Paradise: Switches to grass for her second effort on this surface after finishing a well beaten 5th in her last. She has tried this level of competition a couple of times, and has failed to be even remotely competitive. Difficult to see a turnaround today while she switches surfaces.

Ollie's Candy: Not sure I'm telling you anything you don't already know, but this is one talented filly. She was a mere neck away from winning three consecutive races on three different surfaces (AW, Dirt, Turf) just last out. That win would have also given her black type on both dirt and turf as well, which I'm sure the connections are chomping at the bit to see if they can finish today. She is without any doubt a major contender.

Fatale Bere: Bit surprised to see Desormeaux in the irons on this girl again today, as she was right in the mix to have finished a solid 2nd in the Belmont Oaks when "she" finished uninspiringly once the winner had been decided. Regardless, this is a talented filly, that took some of these down in the G3 Provedencia back in April. She can still pop, and has to be respected.

Paved: That Belmont Oaks was a real head scratcher as she was taken back to sit well off the pace in her last. Not real surprising to see a rider change, and I'm sure the tactics will be different today, as I fully expect her to be much more into the race where she has done her best running. Just two back she convincingly beat some rivals she see's here today. Prefer others, but she is a strong consideration for me in exotics.

Colonia: That was an impressive win at Arlington last out in the Hatoof. Cool Beans isn't a stiff, and she made that field look like $10K claimers as she had to fight some traffic, and when she had room to run it was over. Waters do get deeper here, and her French form is still pretty ugly. I might need to see another in the States to be completely convinced before taking her at a small price. Really interested in how she'll get bet amongst these.

Californiagoldrush: Yes, she has won her only two starts, but hard to really know if she has beaten anybody yet. Serious class jump here, and she gets the meets leading rider in the irons. She hasn't raced since February, and her works aren't anything to write home about leading up to this one. Really tough read that is a tote board must to watch as well as how she looks in the paddock and post parade.

Ms Bad Behavior: Nice little hard knocking filly that simply doesn't ever run a bad race. She'll almost undoubtedly be a part of the pace, and the question in all of her races is if she can hang on. The extra furlong she sees today, probably isn't in her favor, and the post isn't great either. Tough for me to get real excited about this entry with what seems to be everything going against her.

So Hi Society: Chad Brown struggled to win with this filly on the East Coast. Unless she is getting a secret milkshake, this is a hard one to see.

Movie Moment: Tough post, but she does all her running late, so it isn't as hard for her as most of her rivals. She isn't the worst bomber in the field, and could clean up some pieces late.

Animosity: I suspect they'll try to gun for the lead from out here and see if she can hang on. The G2 Honeymoon two back wasn't too bad, and coming from dead last in her last in the San Clemente, she did show some decent competitiveness to get up for 6th in a 13 horse field. Not without a chance, but the 8/1 ML seems a bit low.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #2
Andy Asaro

Heading up to Del Mar for first time this meet. In the tournament and going to meet up with a few people.

Good luck to all.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #3
GMB@BP

Good race, Colonia looks tough but the price will be horrific.

little surprised more horses did not ship in for the ez cash and grade 1.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #4
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Ollie's Candy is a strong play for me
Old 08-18-2018, 03:45 PM   #5
jimmyb

Going with the Animosity. Great change of pace play. Like Tyler Gaffalione making the trip out from GP.

Last edited by jimmyb; 08-18-2018 at 03:47 PM.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2018, 03:52 PM   #6
Immortal6

Aside from liking the obvious and I'm taking a long look at the Animosity. She tried to steal the Honeymoon two back on the front end and was beat by the rail running Paved who got a perfect trip. Showed a lot of grit not to just fold in the stretch as there were several others chasing after. Then in her last race she broke last and was shuffled to dead last but came flying at the end to finish 6th of 13. Wondering if it wasn't on purpose to teach the horse to run mid pack and finish strong.

Ex and tri box

Animosity to win
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2018, 04:21 PM   #7
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Good race, Colonia looks tough but the price will be horrific.

little surprised more horses did not ship in for the ez cash and grade 1.

Debated about whether to do the 6th or 8th. Landed here cause there are a lot more unknowns with somewhat lightly raced 3YO fillies.

$300K pot should have brought some more from the East Coast other than a trainer change.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:18 PM   #8
jay68802

looks tough. Think the is going to take this group a long way on the front end but with the applying the pressure, doubt she can hang on.

Keying the with the in the exacta and tri.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2018, 06:27 PM   #9
jimmyb

Played the exacta box
tri key with the /
straight win bet on the
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2018, 08:46 PM   #10
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Played the exacta box
tri key with the /
straight win bet on the
Good job.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2018, 08:51 PM   #11
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
looks tough. Think the is going to take this group a long way on the front end but with the applying the pressure, doubt she can hang on.

Keying the with the in the exacta and tri.

Hopefully I helped you into this greatness.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:08 AM   #12
Afleet

I liked best but was horribly overbet. Was able to catch the double from the previous race - did pay a nice $94 on a $2 ticket.
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2018, 05:21 AM   #13
Andy Asaro

Had the lead in the Del Mar tournament and put $1000 to win on the 4. Got sick watching the race but that's the way it goes.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #14
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
Had the lead in the Del Mar tournament and put $1000 to win on the 4. Got sick watching the race but that's the way it goes.

That sucks. is a damn good filly. just got back to running her best again.

At the worst, I'm sure you had a great time at the Surf and Turf. Such a great venue.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:33 PM   #15
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
Impressive handicapping on your part. That MSW winner#5 was hard to get, almost went all to start the pick 3 and changed my mind. The#3 two races later was my best bet of the day; pick 3 came back a cool $3k. Kent always phuks me so I threw him (Fatale Bere) in the double and pick 3.
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: