Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Poll: Which best describes your gains or losses, from race wagering, per year.
Poll Options
Which best describes your gains or losses, from race wagering, per year.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #31
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgreg
Bigmack,

Where do you think you rank...calling someone a fool?

Regards,
bcgreg
You've got to be kidding. Bigmack ranked that post spot on the money.
If you don't see that, I'll sell you an eye chart and some comprehension lessons.
Spot on bigmack.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #32
fmhealth

I lose about $40.00 per week now, about $2,000/year. I really just attend TUP now that I'm retired to sit in the sun year round & read the WSJ. In my younger days these numbers were MUCH higher. Estimate I've lost about $300,000 in my 52 years 'capping.
fmhealth is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #33
bcgreg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox
You've got to be kidding. Bigmack ranked that post spot on the money.
If you don't see that, I'll sell you an eye chart and some comprehension lessons.
Spot on bigmack.
I see your point, after reading the post again...

Too many drinks too early tonight...LOL!

My apologies Bigmack.

Regards,
bcgreg

Last edited by bcgreg; 11-19-2010 at 07:30 PM.
bcgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #34
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmhealth
I lose about $40.00 per week now, about $2,000/year. I really just attend TUP now that I'm retired to sit in the sun year round & read the WSJ. In my younger days these numbers were MUCH higher. Estimate I've lost about $300,000 in my 52 years 'capping.
Now, there's honesty! Appreciate it.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2010, 07:32 PM   #35
bigmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by raybo
please set me straight so I don't go to the grave wondering if what I've been doing for half my life was a waste of time.
How will this poll help resolve questions you have about the way you've spent your time?
bigmack is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2010, 08:30 PM   #36
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmack
How will this poll help resolve questions you have about the way you've spent your time?
Well, if the poll turns out the way I believe it should, then there's a vast majority of players who wouldn't call working hard and studying hard, for 30+ years, and reaching the goal of profitability, a waste of time (no matter how small the profitability).

For some, it appears, being merely profitable is a waste of time (the amount of yearly profit was stated as $25,000, and a waste of time).

The poll, thus far, is not realistic, in my mind. But, I think as time goes by all the members here that cannot be honest and realistic will have voted, and then the poll, and the thread, will begin to show that there are vast numbers of players who are losing (or winning very little) but don't think it's a waste of time to endeavor to attain, even a small level of profitability.

The journey is what it's all about. That's how I feel about my experience in the game. And, unless I'm proven wrong somehow, I don't regret all the time and effort I've put into it in order to reach my goal.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #37
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubbymac26
If anybody can prove to me they win 100000 a year I'll blow them cuz their my hero
Oh how I wish I had a photo of one particular person so you could think about whether that offer still stands...

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #38
Zippy Chippy

I say i lose about 10k per year , this year much much more. I don't put the time into it that the winners do. I also count it as an expensive hobby.
Zippy Chippy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2010, 10:09 PM   #39
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
For some, it appears, being merely profitable is a waste of time (the amount of yearly profit was stated as $25,000, and a waste of time).
Raybo,

You continue to quote me out of context. I am asking you, as politely as possible to please stop doing that.

If you want to have a serious discussion about my quote and state "your side" of the argument, then go for it. I'll give you my side first:

I said that $25,000 per year does not allow most people to give up their jobs to play the horses. By your own admission, your approach is very time consuming. Time does not grow on trees.

Simply put, most people would not choose to live at the poverty level. If you can live on $25,000 per year, good for you.

Okay, now if you have a different side to this, please fire away.

Dave Schwartz
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-19-2010, 11:04 PM   #40
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
Raybo,

You continue to quote me out of context. I am asking you, as politely as possible to please stop doing that.

If you want to have a serious discussion about my quote and state "your side" of the argument, then go for it. I'll give you my side first:

I said that $25,000 per year does not allow most people to give up their jobs to play the horses. By your own admission, your approach is very time consuming. Time does not grow on trees.

Simply put, most people would not choose to live at the poverty level. If you can live on $25,000 per year, good for you.

Okay, now if you have a different side to this, please fire away.

Dave Schwartz
Your original quote said nothing about people giving up their jobs to play horses for $25,000 per year. You said that trying to make $25,000 per year would be a waste of your time, nothing about you giving up your job.

You explained what you "meant" in a later post. By that time the poll idea was already in the works. I didn't mention who it was that made the statement, no matter who had made that statement, it would still have sounded just as odd to me.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #41
Dave Schwartz

Okay, so now you have it in very clear context.

I am saying:

Quote:
Making $25,000 per year for most people will mean playing a significant number of hours per week; much like a job.

Most people cannot afford to give up that much time because it would mean giving up their job.

$25,000 per year is not sufficient for most people to give up their job.

I hope that is really clear so that you can stop using my quote out of context.

Dave Schwartz
Old 11-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #42
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Quote:
Okay, so now you have it in very clear context.

I am saying:

I hope that is really clear so that you can stop using my quote out of context.

Dave Schwartz
Fair enough. Done.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #43
Dave Schwartz

Thank you.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:41 PM   #44
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Thank you.
Here's your original quote Dave:

"Raybo,

I can't disagreed with anything you said.

The point of my post is that for some people - and I am one of those people - playing to make $25k per year would just be a waste of my time.

Of course, everyone's mileage will differ. For some people it might be thrilling to make $20 instead of losing $10,000.

So, if the patience approach isn't going to meet your goals, you have to find a way to NEED less patience (i.e. a less selective approach) or dump that approach altogether.

Dave
PS: I am not trying to be snobby about this. I might feel differently if it were golf."

It didn't come off as smoothly as the one you quoted of yourself bro.Reading it outside of your own mind that is!!

Old 11-19-2010, 11:44 PM   #45
rstone

I picked the "win or lose under 1,000" option. I've been awful this year so I'm down about $2500, I've won a few years, lost a few years. Never won more than 4,000, never lost more than 5,000. I just love the sport and have the action itch, that's why I play. Not as a source of any real income, I consider every dollar I lose at the track money spent on entertainment.
rstone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply