Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-09-2017, 06:06 PM   #61
JustRalph
Just another Facist

AP set a new standard.

The grand slam cannot be ignored.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:01 PM   #62
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
AP set a new standard.

I am underwhelmed by the "grand slam", because he only ran in three races after the TC and lost one of them.

I suspect the TC winner will usually win the BC Classic if he or she is handled this way, but it doesn't really prove anything the way, for instance, Affirmed's post-TC career proved a lot.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2017, 08:32 PM   #63
Blenheim
Race Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerUpPaynter View Post
in the realm of derby races it was one of the more boring. and i know im gonna get crucified for saying this but this is one of the weakest crops if not the weakest crop this century. I do think Always Dreaming wins the Preakness in Smarty Jones fashion, I just hope he loses in Belmont because he's not a great horse and wouldnt want to taint the Triple Crown. If he was to win the Triple Crown its merely an indictment on how bad a crop it is rather than how good he is. This horse in no American Pharoah, not even as good as California Chrome. However I will pound exotic tickets with him up top for the Preakness. The field under him is a joke and should be racing on Tuesdays at Delaware Park. Its the Big Brown year all over again. Can we get someone to inexplicably pull him up in the Belmont to save the sanctity of the Triple Crown?

Continue to be enthusiastic, the sport is in dire need of it. Maybe your enthusiasm will become contagious.
~
I think the Preakness may be even better than the Derby. From what I've read Classic Empire and Gunnevera are confirmed, and those two are of equal class and dead set on some revenge! Lookin' forward to some real hoss' racin' on a dry fast track, see what they got for AD.
~
Lessons learned . . . the type of horses winning the Derby appears to be changing and handicappers must keep pace.

Last edited by Blenheim; 05-09-2017 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Typo
Blenheim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2017, 08:51 PM   #64
nancy4487

On any other day, I would refrain from wagering on a track that was such a mess. Lesson learned=stick to my guns in the Derby, too.
nancy4487 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2017, 05:41 PM   #65
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I am underwhelmed by the "grand slam", because he only ran in three races after the TC and lost one of them.

I suspect the TC winner will usually win the BC Classic if he or she is handled this way, but it doesn't really prove anything the way, for instance, Affirmed's post-TC career proved a lot.
This is ridiculous. But it sure is funny! Wow!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2017, 06:00 PM   #66
CincyHorseplayer

The fun and excitement in the air leading up to the Derby was top notch. I try not to build the Derby up but it is and I can't deny it! My saltiness was largely self made. Derby and BC weekends are my two best weekends of the betting year. Been a while since I took a lashing over a 2 day set(rained out a big shindig here also!). I sure did this year! 76% loss on all bets in play. I was due. But also thought non betting favorites were due in the Derby. 3.5-1 in a 20 horse field is not that great for teenage horses going 10f off for the first time. In any other race I know my top 2 choices will win 50+% of the time and I can bet the higher odds horse and win an equal amount of time at a higher mutuel as the horse in my top 2 getting bet heavily. In most races that's about 2-1 vs 5-1 odds. In a race like the Derby it's 4-1 vs 10-1. I think it's a seriously disturbing trend if the lower odds horse is going to all of the sudden be invincible in a race like the Kentucky Derby. This is the type of thing that drives me absolutely bonkers and I will have to minimize the race's significance so I don't lose my mind! Seriously. But in the end Always Dreaming showed the talent before the race and ran an impressively good race. That was a very nice performance. On to the next dance!
Old 05-10-2017, 06:11 PM   #67
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
This is ridiculous. But it sure is funny! Wow!
Which impresses you more:

1. Beating Spectacular Bid, who never lost again, winning the Hollywood Gold Cup under 132 pounds in 1:58 3/5, and winning the Santa Anita Handicap over Exceller in stakes record time (which stood for 26 years).

or

2. Winning a BC Classic over a depleted field that didn't even havr the second best dirt horse in the country in the race, after losing to Keen Ice, a habitual loser, in the Travers?

Heck, just compare their two losses in the Travers!
Old 05-10-2017, 06:14 PM   #68
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:

1. Beating Spectacular Bid, who never lost again, winning the Hollywood Gold Cup under 132 pounds in 1:58 3/5, and winning the Santa Anita Handicap over Exceller in stakes record time (which stood for 26 years).

or

2. Winning a BC Classic over a depleted field that didn't even havr the second best dirt horse in the country in the race, after losing to Keen Ice, a habitual loser, in the Travers?

Right. Unless he had access to a time machine he'll never be great. Have heard this mental defect before!
Old 05-10-2017, 06:15 PM   #69
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy4487 View Post
On any other day, I would refrain from wagering on a track that was such a mess. Lesson learned=stick to my guns in the Derby, too.
I concur about the track condition. I initially Gunnevera but changed on KD to Classic Empire.

I should have just sat out the race and watched.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2017, 07:43 PM   #70
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:

or

Upsets never happen in sports right? c'mon maaaaaaaaaaaaan
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2017, 08:00 PM   #71
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyHorseplayer View Post
Right. Unless he had access to a time machine he'll never be great. Have heard this mental defect before!
He didn't need a time machine, just a less greedy owner.

Don't give horses credit for things they don't achieve. And don't take greedy owners for granted-- push back against them.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #72
MonmouthParkJoe

I learned to just bet the favorite and stack that cheddar
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2017, 10:05 AM   #73
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
AP set a new standard.

That is what they say at Denny's!

The next thing is the Hugh Five - TC, Classic, Pegasus.
Then of course, the 6-Pack. TC, Classic, Pegasus., and World Cup.

Too bad a lot of horse will never have a chance at that one - 6 start in a year is beyond may of today's so-called trainers.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #74
señorclipclop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
That is what they say at Denny's!

The next thing is the Hugh Five - TC, Classic, Pegasus.
Then of course, the 6-Pack. TC, Classic, Pegasus., and World Cup.

Too bad a lot of horse will never have a chance at that one - 6 start in a year is beyond may of today's so-called trainers.
Eh, I think the Grand Slam should be the TC races and the Travers.
señorclipclop is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #75
PowerUpPaynter

Quote:
Originally Posted by señorclipclop View Post
Eh, I think the Grand Slam should be the TC races and the Travers.
Hey dont forget the Haskell!!!
PowerUpPaynter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply