Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-11-2009, 06:43 PM   #1
jasperson

Angry The myth of the fragile tb

In my Calder pp I got the races from Chile and noticed that a lot of the horses had more than 20 starts for the year. Several had 33 or more starts and in Sept that more in about 270 days and those horses are starting once every 8 days. Are not these horses the same breed the horsemen tell us they are to fragile to start oftener than once a month? There is not a shortage of horses it is just trainers and owners that are afraid to start them. It used be an adage to bet a horse coming back in 10 days or less, and now they tell us that todays tb is to fragile for that. I think that is just a myth.
Jack
jasperson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
juanepstein
devo-lutionizing

check out the head on view of the stretch run valparaiso.

they use there horses as battering rams. you see so much zigging and zagging down the stretch from everyone that i think the stewards just put up the red flag and surrendered.
juanepstein is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

The mythical bounce has done as much harm to racing as pretty much anything else I can think of off the top of my head.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
Tom Barrister
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperson
In my Calder pp I got the races from Chile and noticed that a lot of the horses had more than 20 starts for the year. Several had 33 or more starts and in Sept that more in about 270 days and those horses are starting once every 8 days. Are not these horses the same breed the horsemen tell us they are to fragile to start oftener than once a month? There is not a shortage of horses it is just trainers and owners that are afraid to start them. It used be an adage to bet a horse coming back in 10 days or less, and now they tell us that todays tb is to fragile for that. I think that is just a myth.
Jack
Thoroughbreds in South America probably aren't bred/inbred for speed as incessantly as they are here in the States.
Tom Barrister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
jasperson

do well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Barrister
Thoroughbreds in South America probably aren't bred/inbred for speed as incessantly as they are here in the States.
The South American horses seem to do well in the US when imported. As far as I am conserned if a tb can't go a route of ground he is doing anything to improve the breed. Most races under 6f are raced with horses that are speed balls that you can't rate or are too sore or have breathing problems that they can't go a route of ground. As I said once before on this forum if we are breeding for speed then where is it? Today's tb is not any faster than the tb of 6o years are go. I will put any Swaps, Kelso, or Citation up against any of todays speed products and they will still be great horses.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
CBedo
AllAboutTheROE

I was thinking about frailty this morning when watching Blinkers Off when Watchamaker kept talking about Rachel, and how she had "already run 7-8 times this year. What else do you want?" haha
Old 09-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
Imriledup

Quote:
Jack
Its probably the polytrack down there that makes it safer.
Imriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2009, 08:09 PM   #8
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imriledup

andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2009, 08:15 PM   #9
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBedo
I was thinking about frailty this morning when watching Blinkers Off when Watchamaker kept talking about Rachel, and how she had "already run 7-8 times this year. What else do you want?" haha
They also pointed out that the 3YO Rachel has already more career races than the 5YO Zenyatta.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2009, 08:15 PM   #10
jasperson

Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imriledup
I am pretty sure all of their races are on turf
Old 09-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #11
Horseplayersbet.com

Quote:
I am pretty sure all of their races are on turf
It appears they at least sometimes put a lot of dirt on the grass in Chile

[yt=Chile Race]3Gx9NYOLSRk[/yt]

Horseplayersbet.com is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #12
Hanover1

Myth??

Down there its the myth of the positive......
Hanover1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2009, 11:54 PM   #13
BlueShoe

If any of you have ever seen old racing systems written 30,40,or 50 years ago,there was almost always a standard recency rule that went something like this;"no play on any horse that has not raced within the last 10 days,except that a horse that has raced 11-14 days ago may be played if it shows a workout within the last 5 days".If we applied those standards today sure wouldnt get much action would we?
BlueShoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2009, 07:31 AM   #14
illinoisbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShoe
If any of you have ever seen old racing systems written 30,40,or 50 years ago,there was almost always a standard recency rule that went something like this;"no play on any horse that has not raced within the last 10 days,except that a horse that has raced 11-14 days ago may be played if it shows a workout within the last 5 days".If we applied those standards today sure wouldnt get much action would we?
Back in the early 60's my uncle made a substantial profit one summer at Arlington betting horses that ran back on 5 days rest with an in the money finish last out.In the early 80's my dad tracked how the Quirin systems [2 pt. edge on speed pts.,fresh horse,bid,but hung,and consistent angle] performed at 6 different tracks and played where they did well [back then always Aqueduct inner-tube].These methods were based on a return within 10 days.Me, personally, playing now, like 21-28 days since last race,particularily with 3 and 4 yr. olds.What's the answer, are horses more fragile now? Is there too much reliance on drugs?From a speed figure point of view,you do see a hell of a lot more jump out of their skin performances today then you ever saw in the 70,s or 80,s.
illinoisbred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply