Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-27-2018, 10:40 AM   #1
Grits

The Alabama

Just read that Wonder Gadot is foregoing the last leg of the Canadian TC. Heading, instead, for the Alabama. The story is at Horse Racing Nation.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2018, 11:14 AM   #2
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
Just read that Wonder Gadot is foregoing the last leg of the Canadian TC. Heading, instead, for the Alabama. The story is at Horse Racing Nation.
Why not, given the distance I think she is a very likely winner. That is way too far if Midnight Bisou enters and the big filly is skipping it.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
Spalding No!

Mark Casse was targeting the Alabama soon after the Queen's Plate, as he's adamant that Wonder Gadot excels at 10 furlongs:

"She loves the distance," winning trainer Mark Casse said of Wonder Gadot's victory in Canada's most prestigious classic. "I think if she'll stay happy and healthy, she's going to be tough. She'll give anybody in North America a run for their money in the (grade 1) Alabama (Stakes Aug. 18 at Saratoga Race Course), because it's the distance.

"If all goes well—and I'd have to discuss it with Gary and everything—but the Prince of Wales may set her up well for the Alabama," Casse said.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2018, 08:35 PM   #4
clicknow

Just read that Wonder Gadot is going in the Travers.

re paulick and horse racing nation
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2018, 08:36 PM   #5
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
Just read that Wonder Gadot is going in the Travers.
not sure I blame them, neither winner at saratoga impressed me.
Old 07-28-2018, 09:25 PM   #6
MadVindication

Really interesting that Casse took some patience and waited to start her with blinkers. Her stretch run was the only good moment of the Queen's Plate (otherwise really disappointing race IMO). Then at Fort Erie she changes up her racing style to win -- not too tuff competition, tho I'm not sure many fillies win against mixed company running on/near the lead, as far as I know they have more a stamina advantage when they run with the boys so tend to be closers?

I'd like to see her race again against Monomoy and Midnight. Recall Casse mentioning that possible goal in a few interviews recently.

I know I'll bet her to pass Hofburg in the Travers
MadVindication is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2018, 09:57 PM   #7
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
not sure I blame them, neither winner at saratoga impressed me.

Well the horses Wonder Gadot beat in CAN weren't all that either.

I guess I don't quite get the excitement

except for the rarity of fillys racing against males in U.S. racing, I guess whenever it happens it becomes a *big deal*.

I personally never feel it's exactly a vote of confidence when trainer/owners keep changing their minds about where they're gonna race. Doesn't inspired the confidence of a well planned campaign..

Last edited by clicknow; 07-28-2018 at 10:00 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2018, 10:09 PM   #8
GMB@BP

Quote:

I guess I don't quite get the excitement

except for the rarity of fillys racing against males in U.S. racing, I guess whenever it happens it becomes a *big deal*.

I personally never feel it's exactly a vote of confidence when trainer/owners keep changing their minds about where they're gonna race. Doesn't inspired the confidence of a well planned campaign..
I think they want a chance to close the gap with monomoy girl and winning a race against fillies where she is not there doesnt do much.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:11 PM   #9
Tee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadVindication View Post
I know I'll bet her to pass Hofburg in the Travers
You think Hofburg will be in front of her during the running of the race?
Old 07-28-2018, 10:15 PM   #10
MadVindication

Quote:
She won dominantly enough it bodes well for her chances. If she's in the Travers I can't see her beating, say, Tenfold unless pace favours...but maybe more interesting to see if Velazquez is riding her in that race. That would be hard to gauge whether a good business relations move between him and Casse/connections or whether JV thinks she's a contender in that company.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:23 PM   #11
MadVindication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee View Post
You think Hofburg will be in front of her during the running of the race?
Good point. He didn't run too far off the pace last one, tho. No choice. I think Hofburg is really showing his class. I have never bet Monmouth and as of now have no idea how many lengths a closer could survive. I'd tend to disfavour a horse too far off the pace to win as usual.

But given that Wonder Gadot recently changed up to run on the lead so she could stay clean on a sloppy track bodes really well that she can rate to run however strategic. I don't know much, but I think that's rare. Hofburg I know at least needs a late run.

You've given me something to think about. But the difference, only my personal observations, is that Wonder Gadot thrives on passing horses where as Hofburg had a learning curve to do it.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:07 PM   #12
classhandicapper

I'm not one for "taking a shot" unless the purse difference justifies the added risk (and it usually doesn't), but I don't think the Travers is such a bad idea. Pending the result of the Haskell, this 3yo male crop is starting to look dreadful to me and the filly division looks really solid. I'd still probably run in the Alabama and take my shot against Monomoy Girl later, but she almost certainly at least fits with the boys in the Travers.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:48 PM   #13
Suff
Beat up 💪

There's a chance for 2 Fillys in the Travers if Wow Cat romps in today's GIII Shuvee.

Attached Images
File Type: png wowcat.png (341.4 KB, 13 views)
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2018, 01:35 PM   #14
Someday Silent

Why not go for it? The remaining three year old males can't seem to run straight or all that fast beyond a mile. Sure, the colts in Canada might not have been world beaters either but WG beat them by open lengths the way you'd like to see.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2018, 01:59 PM   #15
papillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
Wonder Godot has been confirmed for the Travers

After the Jim Dandy, which was the ugliest race for late July 3yos I've ever seen, why not?

Last edited by papillon; 07-29-2018 at 02:03 PM.
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply