Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-19-2018, 07:58 PM   #286
woodtoo

If he had been charged for just one of his prior crimes he would have been denied purchasing a gun.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2018, 08:59 PM   #287
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Tell it to Fan Dan. He's the one that posted the article that had the Name in it that apparent riles you up so much. Take the issue up with him.
No problem. I, and I am sure many others, did not read either his post or yours.

Anyone that did got what they deserved.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:12 PM   #288
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
No problem. I, and I am sure many others, did not read either his post or yours.

Anyone that did got what they deserved.
I don't know why anyone was offended. The post dealt with how the left uses Jesus and waxes Christian when it suits their purpose, and I exposed how one (admittedly with spiritual discernment) can tell, from the biblical text the left uses, when they're up to their old manipulative, exploitive tricks.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:05 AM   #289
Clocker

A Florida woman who was named "Teacher of the Year" in her area says that the problem isn't guns. The problem is society in general and parents in particular.

Quote:
Until we, as a country, are willing to get serious and talk about mental health issues, lack of available care for the mental health issues, lack of discipline in the home, horrendous lack of parental support when the schools are trying to control horrible behavior at school (oh no! Not MY KID. What did YOU do to cause my kid to react that way?), lack of moral values, and yes, I’ll say it - violent video games that take away all sensitivity to ANY compassion for others’ lives, as well as reality TV that makes it commonplace for people to constantly scream up in each others’ faces and not value any other person but themselves, we will have a gun problem in school.
https://www.truthrevolt.org/news/tea...hool-shootings
Old 02-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #290
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
A Florida woman who was named "Teacher of the Year" in her area says that the problem isn't guns. The problem is society in general and parents in particular.
Duh!
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2018, 11:28 AM   #291
woodtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Duh!
Easy for you to say but what about people that lack common sense.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2018, 12:18 PM   #292
BaffertsWig

Quote:

Why can't it be a multifaceted problem instead of just "oh, it's the parenting (or lack thereof)?"
BaffertsWig is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2018, 12:28 PM   #293
thaskalos

Quote:

IMO...the "Teacher of the Year" is full-of-shit. No matter how "disciplined" the kids are raised to be by their parents...there will still be a tiny percentage of them who will grow up to be murderous thugs. And, when these murderous thugs are later arrested...it will hardly be surprising to discover that they were brought up in a super-strict home environment by parents who served in police departments or the military. These killing sprees aren't carried out by kids who would otherwise be "normal", had it not been for their "neglectful" parents; the parents could all be like June and Ward Cleaver...and still there would be a tiny population of "monsters" in our society.

I visited my kid's college on student orientation day last year...and I sat with the other parents during a question-and-answer session orchestrated by the faculty of this "bastion of higher learning". It was there when I discovered that a student could get addicted to drugs or get pregnant while on campus...and the parents wouldn't be told. The parents couldn't even go online and check on their kids' grades without the kids' permission, we were told...because our kids were now 'legal adults'...and they had entered into a "confidentiality agreement" with the school, whereby the parents were to be kept in the dark about their kids' on-campus behavior. I raised my hand, and when I was called...I asked the faculty member: "If our kids are now 'legal adults'...then, why do you guys come to the parents at ALL? Why don't you sit down with these 'legal adults', and work out the tuition-payment agreement with them...while keeping the parents in the dark about that as well?". The faculty member snickered...even though he suspected that I might be dead-serious. This is the college environment in which our kids are raised...and our "Teacher of the Year" is talking to us here about 'discipline and control" ? What good is discipline in middle school...if it's thrown away in COLLEGE?

Last edited by thaskalos; 02-20-2018 at 12:32 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2018, 12:32 PM   #294
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

No surprise there. A girl under 18 could get pregnant and have an abortion (even a 13yo) and not need any parental notice before having the medical procedure (at least in certain states...not sure if this is now a nationwide thing).

The "it takes a village to raise a child" meme is now in full effect.

Eventually, parents won't be necessary at all. The state will fill that role completely.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 02-20-2018 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #295
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
No surprise there. A girl under 18 could get pregnant and have an abortion (even a 13yo) and not need any parental notice before having the medical procedure (at least in certain states...not sure if this is now a nationwide thing).
It's very much not a nationwide thing. 37 states require parental involvement.

https://www.guttmacher.org/state-pol...nors-abortions
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #296
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaffertsWig View Post
Why can't it be a multifaceted problem instead of just "oh, it's the parenting (or lack thereof)?"
It is. It is too easy for crazy people to get guns. But the reality is that no proposed gun legislation would have stopped any recent school shooting. One gun-related proposal that has been shown to work elsewhere is to arm school guards and/or teachers. Liberals insist that the only way to keep schools safe is to make them gun-free zones, a ban that only law-abiding citizens respect.

Why do liberals totally dismiss any hint that society or parents are at least part of the problem? Why do they just keep repeating the same old mantra: the problem is guns, and gun controls aren't working so we need more gun controls?
Old 02-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #297
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
It is. It is too easy for crazy people to get guns. But the reality is that no proposed gun legislation would have stopped any recent school shooting.
National 21 to buy a gun wouldn't have stopped Parkland?
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-20-2018, 12:48 PM   #298
thaskalos

Quote:
It is. It is too easy for crazy people to get guns. But the reality is that no proposed gun legislation would have stopped any recent school shooting. One gun-related proposal that has been shown to work elsewhere is to arm school guards and/or teachers. Liberals insist that the only way to keep schools safe is to make them gun-free zones, a ban that only law-abiding citizens respect.

Why do liberals totally dismiss any hint that society or parents are at least part of the problem? Why do they just keep repeating the same old mantra: the problem is guns, and gun controls aren't working so we need more gun controls?
I am a liberal...and I readily admit that society and the parents are part of the problem. But our "Teacher of the Year" was particularly tough on the parents...who both have to go out and work so they could adequately provide for their kids.

Is it the PARENTS' fault that a rifle was allowed into a school?
Old 02-20-2018, 12:49 PM   #299
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
IMO...the "Teacher of the Year" is full-of-shit. No matter how "disciplined" the kids are raised to be by their parents...there will still be a tiny percentage of them who will grow up to be murderous thugs.
So, your solution to all these shootings if to forget about discipline since it is not 100% guaranteed to produce perfect results. Therefore, to get really, really good results, we should outlaw guns to all civilians so that there will be more than a tiny percentage of child thugs who will get their guns from even bigger criminals who specialize in their "black market" or underground sales? This is your solution?

Quote:
I visited my kid's college on student orientation day last year...and I sat with the other parents during a question-and-answer session orchestrated by the faculty of this "bastion of higher learning". It was there when I discovered that a student could get addicted to drugs or get pregnant while on campus...and the parents wouldn't be told. The parents couldn't even go online and check on their kids' grades without the kids' permission, we were told...because our kids were now 'legal adults'...and they had entered into a "confidentiality agreement" with the school, whereby the parents were to be kept in the dark about their kids' on-campus behavior. I raised my hand, and when I was called...I asked the faculty member: "If our kids are now 'legal adults'...then, why do you guys come to the parents at ALL? Why don't you sit down with these 'legal adults', and work out the tuition-payment agreement with them...while keeping the parents in the dark about that as well?". The faculty member snickered...even though he suspected that I might be dead-serious. This is the college environment in which our kids are raised...and our "Teacher of the Year" is talking to us here about 'discipline and control" ? What good is discipline in middle school...if it's thrown away in COLLEGE?
Wouldn't better disciplined kiddies early in life, who grow up respecting their parents, be more likely to be more transparent and honest with their parents when they reached college? Or should we toss the idea of discipline in this situation, too, because it would not produce perfect results? Should this be the excuse we use to forgo the pursuit of excellence -- to quit striving for perfection?

Is there anything perfect in this world?
Old 02-20-2018, 12:51 PM   #300
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
It's very much not a nationwide thing. 37 states require parental involvement.

https://www.guttmacher.org/state-pol...nors-abortions
Thanks.

The list of states that don't require any parental involvement reads like a who's who of liberalville:

California (shocking!), Connecticut, D.C., Hawaii, Maine, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Vermont, Washington