Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-17-2018, 10:53 PM   #181
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
18yo can also go off and fight in a war but can't buy a beer...meh
People choose to join the military.Nice try but you need a better example.

The major reason why 18-20 year olds can't buy alcohol is because the Reagan Administration in 1984 reduced federal highway funding to states by 10 per cent every year that they didn't raise the minimum drinking age to 21.As usual money talks and the states all stepped in line.

I don't see why gun rights supporters are worried.Adam Lanza walks into a schoolroom and murders 20 six year olds with a semi automatic rifle and nothing changed.It certainly isn't going to now.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2018, 11:00 PM   #182
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

You all need way better examples as well...because I haven't seen or heard anything anywhere near convincing yet...

Guns are the problem? Really...I don't think so...

Guns and kids and schools have been around FOREVER...but only now there is a problem...

Wouldn't you say it was something else other than guns? Or are the guns these days some sort of magical beings that have hypnotized these killers into doing their bidding?

You don't actually believe guns are the root cause of all these modern day problems, do you?

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 02-17-2018 at 11:01 PM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2018, 11:05 PM   #183
steveb

Quote:
You might want to make your next reply more comprehensible to those who are fluent in the English language. I can't understand a word of this.
that was a nice sidestep.

it was perfectly legible except for my bad habit of not using upper case, but the meaning was clear as can be.
steveb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2018, 11:27 PM   #184
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

No sidestep at all...being brutally honest. I don't know what you're trying to say there.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2018, 11:36 PM   #185
incoming

PA....you just don't understand liberal logic. When I see the first gun in jail convicted of killing anything I will take notice. Of course, any slick lawyer could actually get a gun acquitted...it's the bullet that actually does the killing. You really have to love that kind of logic.
incoming is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2018, 11:36 PM   #186
Clocker

Quote:

Guns are the problem? Really...I don't think so...

Guns and kids and schools have been around FOREVER...but only now there is a problem...
There were some posts in another thread claiming that these shootings sky-rocketed after the AWB expired and the evil black guns and hi-cap mags became available again.

The problem with that is that AR-15s and hi-caps were regularly and legally available all through the ban.

The point is that the guns and magazines and ammo were essentially the same before the ban, during the ban, after the ban, and today. Nothing of consequence has changed on the hardware side.

So it seems high likely that something changed on the user side. I just did a quick search and could find no school shootings that occurred in private or charter schools. Perhaps I just didn't search long enough. Or perhaps children are being raised differently in those schools. Are historic standards for raising children being maintained in private schools and "evolving" in public schools? Certainly private schools have always had stricter discipline.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:42 PM   #187
steveb

Quote:
No sidestep at all...being brutally honest. I don't know what you're trying to say there.

well then i would suggest the problem is yours not mine, 'brutally honest' or otherwise.
it was not an 'attempt', it came out exactly as i meant it to.
and then there is 'oy vey', and i guess that is fluent english too!
steveb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-17-2018, 11:50 PM   #188
BaffertsWig

Damn... a true American.

Quote:
Florida student Emma Gonzalez to lawmakers and gun advocates: 'We call BS'

Florida student to NRA and Trump: 'We call BS'
(CNN)Emma Gonzalez, a senior at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, addressed a gun control rally on Saturday in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, days after a gunman entered her school in nearby Parkland and killed 17 people.

Below is a full transcript of her speech:

We haven't already had a moment of silence in the House of Representatives, so I would like to have another one. Thank you.

Every single person up here today, all these people should be home grieving. But instead we are up here standing together because if all our government and President can do is send thoughts and prayers, then it's time for victims to be the change that we need to see. Since the time of the Founding Fathers and since they added the Second Amendment to the Constitution, our guns have developed at a rate that leaves me dizzy. The guns have changed but our laws have not.

Read the rest at the link:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/17/us/fl...ech/index.html

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 02-17-2018 at 11:55 PM.
BaffertsWig is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2018, 04:50 AM   #189
incoming

FAMILY WHERE NIK CRUZ LIVED INTERVIEWED

They paint a different picture than previously reported. At the link

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ni...cid=spartandhp
incoming is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2018, 08:33 AM   #190
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Oy vey
I’ll add a good ole Midwest “Wow!”
Old 02-18-2018, 08:34 AM   #191
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Broward County sheriff's office had 39 calls over 7 years to Cruz's home address.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/16/deputi...r-seven-years/

Old 02-18-2018, 08:54 AM   #192
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
Honestly, you don't think it seems kind of odd that an 18 year old can buy an AR-15 but not a beer? Obviously, in Florida they don't think an 18 year old is mature enough to drink, but mature enough to buy an assault weapon.
The AR 15 isn't an assault weapon.

But to the main point, it's more odd that we will send an 18yo to war yet not allow an 18yo to drink. Or that we allow them to vote but not drink.

So think a little on alcohol and driving and how kids do a bad job at being responsible doing either, and you see how maybe our society doesn't want to make it easier for them to combine the two. I haven't looked it up, but I'm going to guess that upping the legal drinking age had resulted in fewer DWI deaths to teens and the innocents in their path on the roads. Upping the drinking age occurred at the same time that MADD had real influence in cleaning up our roads and putting a negative societal opinion on drinking and driving.

Last edited by Fager Fan; 02-18-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2018, 09:02 AM   #193
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveb View Post
it matters not at all, go for your life.
can't resist another little dig can you?
it's ok though, i am here, and you are there.
how lucky am i?
A foreigner insulting our country shouldn't be surprised if it's not received well.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2018, 09:55 AM   #194
barahona44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
A foreigner insulting our country shouldn't be surprised if it's not received well.
It's a good thing then that Australia's not a "shithole" country.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #195
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
Broward County sheriff's office had 39 calls over 7 years to Cruz's home address.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/16/deputi...r-seven-years/
Banning guns will do the job that law enforcement will not do.

Last edited by Tom; 02-18-2018 at 10:04 AM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply