Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

View Poll Results: How do you feel about gun control laws?
Current laws infringe on our rights and should be weakened 21 17.80%
Current laws are just fine, thanks. We don't need anything more 28 23.73%
Current laws are not satisfactory, there are "common sense" adjustments that should be made 69 58.47%
Voters: 118. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 11:14 AM   #46
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Half the people replying to the poll have said that gun control laws need "common sense adjustments". Except for Dan's questioning of the age limit, none have identified any problems or proposed any improvements.
What's amusing is that you're so annoyed by the results of the poll, that you have to call out the people who dared vote for "doing something" to be more specific, just so you can shoot it down

Anyone could google 50 different suggestions for "common sense" gun control in 5 seconds and post them here. You would eagerly criticize and invalidate the ones you could, and ignore the ones you couldn't. So what's the point? You have no interest in "sensible" suggestions, since in your mind, none exist!
Old 02-17-2018, 11:22 AM   #47
FantasticDan
gelding

But since you're an expert, explain to us how the background check system works. You think the current system is adequate, right?

Say I want to buy a gun from you, and you want to sell it to me. Is there a background check involved in that transaction? Does it depend on what state (geographical, not mental) I'm in?
Old 02-17-2018, 11:37 AM   #48
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post
What's amusing is that you're so annoyed by the results of the poll, that you have to call out the people who dared vote for "doing something" to be more specific, just so you can shoot it down
I am both amused and annoyed by people who ignore reality and say that gun control laws aren't working so we need more gun control laws.

To repeat, gun control laws don't work because the problem isn't guns, it's people. But we can't say that or do anything about it that, because that is politically incorrect. And that's really annoying.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:40 AM   #49
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I dare say there were way more guns in the hands of kids back in the day...way back in the day...early 20th century stuff...

How come they never walked into school and killed a whole bunch of their classmates back then?

It was because of the guns, right?
Old 02-17-2018, 11:44 AM   #50
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
To repeat, gun control laws don't work because the problem isn't guns, it's people. But we can't say that or do anything about it that, because that is politically incorrect. And that's really annoying.
Elaborate on what could or should be done about the people that would be opposed because of PC.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:45 AM   #51
Clocker

Quote:
But since you're an expert, explain to us how the background check system works. You think the current system is adequate, right?

Say I want to buy a gun from you, and you want to sell it to me. Is there a background check involved in that transaction? Does it depend on what state (geographical, not mental) I'm in?
Gun dealers are licensed by the federal government. They must do a background check through the national data base unless the state they are in issues purchase permits. No check needed if a person has a purchase permit or a carry permit.

Person to person sales are illegal across state lines. Sales within in a state are governed by state law. Some require a background check, some require that the purchaser have a purchase permit, some have no requirement.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:47 AM   #52
Inner Dirt

Quote:

It varies by state, here in Virginia private party to private party sales require no waiting periods or background checks, you just are supposed to request a valid state I.D. In California a licensed gun dealer has to broker all sales, including a background check and waiting period.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 02-17-2018 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:53 AM   #53
JustRalph
Just another Facist

The background check system is a ruse to compile a gun registry. It’s screwed up half the time. I know several people that were denied purchases for no reason. Including one who was told "your name is too common for an accurate check”

The 2nd Amendment is a right. Do you need a background check to exercise your 1st amendment rights? Hell no. Constitutional carry and purchase should be the law. It supersedes the states. Yet our stupid court system and State legislators think they know better. Americans have the right to own-possess guns. They also have the right to do so wherever they want.

I am personally being disarmed today because I want to attend a concert. The venue restricts my rights, even with a CCW permit, to carry my weapon inside their building because they make over 51% of their revenue from alcohol. This is a law they abide by.

Even though there is tons of evidence that CCW-LTC types commit almost no crime. The legislator cooks up this law to allow lefty venues to enforce their views. This will be the last concert I attend there. I didn’t know before I bought a suite of seats.

The bottom line is bad guys will get their guns no matter what. Whether they are criminals or pissed off high school kids. If you’re motivated enough to walk into a school and kill, you will damn sure find a way to get a gun.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:53 AM   #54
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
In California a licensed gun dealer has to broker all sales, including a background check and waiting period.
People see this as a bad thing?
Old 02-17-2018, 11:53 AM   #55
Clocker

Quote:
You aren't annoyed that none of those people have bothered to post here? Doesn't seem to indicate a lot of conviction or knowledge about the subject.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:53 AM   #56
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Person to person sales are illegal across state lines. Sales within in a state are governed by state law. Some require a background check, some require that the purchaser have a purchase permit, some have no requirement.
Would you support a universal background check be required for all private sales?
Old 02-17-2018, 11:56 AM   #57
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
The bottom line is bad guys will get their guns no matter what. Whether they are criminals or pissed off high school kids. If you’re motivated enough to walk into a school and kill, you will damn sure find a way to get a gun.
This I can't deny.
Shows how screwed up things are to have gotten here.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:56 AM   #58
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
You aren't annoyed that none of those people have bothered to post here? Doesn't seem to indicate a lot of conviction or knowledge about the subject.
I think maybe those people are upset and disturbed by these mass shootings and wish "something" could be done, and that's what they're indicating with their vote. The fact that they don't necessarily know what that something is shouldn't be held against them.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #59
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Yeah, the old "someone" should do "something" deal.
"They" need to take of this.

Maybe we need to start a "national conversation," or "form a committee" to look into "it".

There, that was EZ.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #60
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
I think maybe those people are upset and disturbed by these mass shootings and wish "something" could be done, and that's what they're indicating with their vote. The fact that they don't necessarily know what that something is shouldn't be held against them.
The "something" has nothing to do with guns.

Guns have been around forever. Kids had way more access to guns back in the day. Parents didn't obsess about locking up firearms in the early 20th century...way more kids were taught how to use firearms back then...way more had INTEREST in firearms back then...

Yet, was there a rash of school massacres back then with kids wielding handguns, shotguns, rifles?

There were schools back then, right? There were kids back then, right? There were guns back then, right?

It's not the guns.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: