Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 02-23-2012, 11:29 PM   #1
Beachbabe

Fountain Of Youth

Three of the top ten contenders (in most everyone's list) go :

Post 2---Algorithms--Castellano (Pletcher)

Post 5---Discreet Dancer--Velazquez (Pletcher)

Post 7---Union Rags--Leparoux (Matz)

It's two turns; there's only 8 entrants, so there shouldn't be many "trip" excuses. It should be interesting !!
Beachbabe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2012, 06:16 AM   #2
Blenheim
Race Player

Here are the past performances:

http://horseracing.about.com/od/racedayinfo/a/aafree-pps.htm Scroll to Pletcher or Romans.

Nothin' like the Derby Trail and nothin' like Gulfstream Park. Lookin' forward to the FOY!

Blenheim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
papillon

it's really an awkward set up, starting in the middle of the first turn like that--and isn't even really a two turn race, but more of a turn and a half, a turn and a quarter

both the two outside and the two inside horses could be disadvantaged by the set up
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon
it's really an awkward set up, starting in the middle of the first turn like that--and isn't even really a two turn race, but more of a turn and a half, a turn and a quarter

both the two outside and the two inside horses could be disadvantaged by the set up
What are you talking about? GP has an alternate finish for 1 1/16th mile races. It's still a disadvantage to be on an outside post, but it doesn't start in the turn
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
classhandicapper

The best thing that may have happened to Unions Rags was losing the BC Juvenile.

If I was Michael Matz I wouldn't have Union Rags 100% for this race. I'd just concede the loss unless my horse was good enough to win it at 90%.

This is a very tough field. I don't think you want to crank your horse up close to 100% in February just to win the Fountain of Youth. The Pletcher horses could turn out to be great, but they also might be very good horses peaking a little too soon.
classhandicapper is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
What are you talking about? GP has an alternate finish for 1 1/16th mile races. It's still a disadvantage to be on an outside post, but it doesn't start in the turn
I'm sure he looked at the diagram on the PPs offered by BRIS, which is obviously wrong. Still, he should have known better.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I'm sure he looked at the diagram on the PPs offered by BRIS, which is obviously wrong. Still, he should have known better.
Hmmmm....another reason I don't use BRIS. All the more bad on them. In this case that's just as bad as publishing the wrong stats for a runner.
Old 02-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
Hmmmm....another reason I don't use BRIS. All the more bad on them. In this case that's just as bad as publishing the wrong stats for a runner.
To be fair, DRF has itsr share of mistakes.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
To be fair, DRF has itsr share of mistakes.
True as well.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #10
papillon

yeah, i based that on the diagram--not sure why i "should have known better," but if it makes you feel superior, more power to you--you obviously need the self-esteem boost more than i.

instead of insulting me why don't you simply list your picks?

i picked discrete dancer at least a week ago in the other foy thread.
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
Striker

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
The best thing that may have happened to Unions Rags was losing the BC Juvenile.

If I was Michael Matz I wouldn't have Union Rags 100% for this race. I'd just concede the loss unless my horse was good enough to win it at 90%.

This is a very tough field. I don't think you want to crank your horse up close to 100% in February just to win the Fountain of Youth. The Pletcher horses could turn out to be great, but they also might be very good horses peaking a little too soon.
Isn't the goal to win the Kentucky Derby? Why would any trainer want their horse peaking in February that is a major player on the derby trail? I agree that Matz will just want to have a solid effort from UR here and move onto the next step in his plan on the road to the Kentucky derby, whatever that next step may be. I would assume that Discreet Dancer will take them as far as he can on Sunday.
Striker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2012, 07:26 AM   #12
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon
yeah, i based that on the diagram--not sure why i "should have known better," but if it makes you feel superior, more power to you--you obviously need the self-esteem boost more than i.

instead of insulting me why don't you simply list your picks?

i picked discrete dancer at least a week ago in the other foy thread.
Here's some advice then. If you didn't know GP has a second finish line this year, you haven't been paying attention to racing there. For your own good don't bet it.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:18 AM   #13
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!

Going to try and hit with the #4 Casual Trick. Ran a good second in the Gulfstream Park Derby and last time out stumbled at start on a Sealed good track and tired. Has good works coming into race and hoping he can move forward at a price!
Old 02-26-2012, 02:46 AM   #14
redshift1

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan04
Going to try and hit with the #4 Casual Trick. Ran a good second in the Gulfstream Park Derby and last time out stumbled at start on a Sealed good track and tired. Has good works coming into race and hoping he can move forward at a price!

8-1 morning line odds, probably goes off higher though. Would be a bigger surprise than I'll have Another's $88.60 considering all the FOY prestige heavyweights.

redshift1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2012, 02:52 AM   #15
Robert Fischer
clean money

Discreet Dancer is an interesting horse.

In terms of talent, he can run with the top two. I don't really see why he wouldn't be ready for this level. Hasn't run his best race yet.

Algorithms is proven at this level.

Union Rags looked like the derby winner at the top of the stretch in the Juvenile. Then he bore out badly and changed leads near the wire, failing to put away a tiring Hansen.

pretty nice field.