Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 03-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
Moyers Pond
Veteran

Win Willy looks like Monarchos

I don't see why this horse can't be a legitimate derby contender. Obviously I am biased because I love Monarchos, but that effort was huge. He exploded on the turn. Interesting to see the speed figure.
Moyers Pond is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
rcknhrse

WIN WILLY

I did a rough estimate using Bris data
SPEED FIGURES FOR RESULTS
WIN WILLY 109
FRIESAN FIRES 108.5
MUSKET MAN 100
PIONEER OF THE NILE 95.
This is a very rough estimate since I am not going to do every race on all those cards.
Just curious to see how this matched up with the bris ratings when they come out.
Ill look around the internet for DRF PP'S for those races.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #3
Moyers Pond
Veteran

It will be interesting to see if he can run far enough or if this was his big race, like Monarchos ran in the derby, but Monarchos was good for a few weeks. Maybe he can do the same. It just seems like there are a bunch of good horses though this year.
Moyers Pond is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2009, 07:27 PM   #4
WinterTriangle

Moyers, really interesting article on him at Oaklawn Notes and Quotes today.....grooms made some $, too. Apparently an angel on the track, but a PITA in the barn.

http://www.oaklawn.com/emailarchive.aspx?Id=211

After round two of Oaklawn’s three-year-old series, Win Willy (pictured) stamped his name on the road to the Arkansas Derby and also garnered a three million dollar offer for his purchase, according to trainer Mac Robertson. The offer was declined and Robertson will start preparing his barn star for the $1 million Arkansas Derby on April 11th.

Win Willy, at odds of 56-1, upset the heavy favorite Old Fashioned, who trainer Larry Jones said came out of the Rebel in good shape and showed that going the mile and one-sixteenth distance was no problem. Win Willy improved his record to three wins from four starts, and bumped his earnings up to $210,070.

The $300,000 Rebel Stakes gave Robertson one of his biggest wins in his young career. “Oaklawn Park is my favorite track. It was my favorite even before I won the Rebel yesterday,” laughed Robertson. “I got Win Willy last year at Canterbury Park. I knew he was a good prospect the first time I ran him. His second race wasn’t a good one for him, and he came out of it with sore shins. We gave him some time off, and he came back well.”

“I was sure he would run a big race yesterday. Inside the stretch, I realized we would be no worse than second. Before the eighth pole, I really felt good. Cliff rode a great race. I have complained to him a few times at Remington Park, where he is king, but I will have to take it all back now,” commented the trainer. “We need to give this colt a lot of credit. He broke from the outside post, then circled the rivals, and was drawing clear at the end of the race.”

Asked how his star acts around the barn, Robertson replied, “He has a wonderful personality on the racetrack. Around the barn, he is a total jerk. He wants his own way. The owner lets me do things my way with the colt. I tell him that he can yell at me and that’s fine, but he lets me handle the colt my way.”

Sent off as the second longest price on the board, Win Willy returned a hefty payout to his backers of $115.60. “I didn’t bet on him,” admitted Robertson. “The owner wagered on him, and gave some tickets to the colts groom, worth around $11,000. Yes, the groom was at the barn ready to go to work this morning, maybe not in the best of shape if you know what I mean, but he did show up and that was the important factor.”

Although Win Willy has not been nominated to the Triple Crown, Robertson assured he will be before long.
WinterTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
Relwob Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterTriangle
Moyers, really interesting article on him at Oaklawn Notes and Quotes today.....grooms made some $, too. Apparently an angel on the track, but a PITA in the barn.

http://www.oaklawn.com/emailarchive.aspx?Id=211

After round two of Oaklawn’s three-year-old series, Win Willy (pictured) stamped his name on the road to the Arkansas Derby and also garnered a three million dollar offer for his purchase, according to trainer Mac Robertson. The offer was declined and Robertson will start preparing his barn star for the $1 million Arkansas Derby on April 11th.

Win Willy, at odds of 56-1, upset the heavy favorite Old Fashioned, who trainer Larry Jones said came out of the Rebel in good shape and showed that going the mile and one-sixteenth distance was no problem. Win Willy improved his record to three wins from four starts, and bumped his earnings up to $210,070.

The $300,000 Rebel Stakes gave Robertson one of his biggest wins in his young career. “Oaklawn Park is my favorite track. It was my favorite even before I won the Rebel yesterday,” laughed Robertson. “I got Win Willy last year at Canterbury Park. I knew he was a good prospect the first time I ran him. His second race wasn’t a good one for him, and he came out of it with sore shins. We gave him some time off, and he came back well.”

“I was sure he would run a big race yesterday. Inside the stretch, I realized we would be no worse than second. Before the eighth pole, I really felt good. Cliff rode a great race. I have complained to him a few times at Remington Park, where he is king, but I will have to take it all back now,” commented the trainer. “We need to give this colt a lot of credit. He broke from the outside post, then circled the rivals, and was drawing clear at the end of the race.”

Asked how his star acts around the barn, Robertson replied, “He has a wonderful personality on the racetrack. Around the barn, he is a total jerk. He wants his own way. The owner lets me do things my way with the colt. I tell him that he can yell at me and that’s fine, but he lets me handle the colt my way.”

Sent off as the second longest price on the board, Win Willy returned a hefty payout to his backers of $115.60. “I didn’t bet on him,” admitted Robertson. “The owner wagered on him, and gave some tickets to the colts groom, worth around $11,000. Yes, the groom was at the barn ready to go to work this morning, maybe not in the best of shape if you know what I mean, but he did show up and that was the important factor.”

Although Win Willy has not been nominated to the Triple Crown, Robertson assured he will be before long.

Any clue who offered the money? i am guessing it is likely IEAH and being on the sidelines as of now, it may not be their last offer if it was them....does the owner have a ton of dough? three mil would get me thinkin.....
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2009, 11:03 PM   #6
DrunkenHorseplayer
Playing drunk

I would take the 3M in a second and join the groom in showing up in less than the best of shape.
DrunkenHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2009, 11:17 PM   #7
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Let's hope he isn't like Monarcho's

Monarcho's never won another race after the Derby......If my memory serves me right

I think this horse got the perfect setup......and the right ride............ and to pass on 3 mil for the horse was foolish in my opine

We have seen this before at Oaklawn..........wasn't there a horse called Cherokee something that won the same way a few years back? and never really contended in the Triple Crown?

Last edited by JustRalph; 03-15-2009 at 11:19 PM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2009, 11:43 PM   #8
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Let's hope he isn't like Monarcho's

Monarcho's never won another race after the Derby......If my memory serves me right

I think this horse got the perfect setup......and the right ride............ and to pass on 3 mil for the horse was foolish in my opine

We have seen this before at Oaklawn..........wasn't there a horse called Cherokee something that won the same way a few years back? and never really contended in the Triple Crown?
Your correct about Monarchos. He never won another race. There was a CHerokee horse (can't remember the name) who won a big race or 2 down there but there's been enough strong contenders to come out of Oaklawn like Afleet Alex, Smarty Jones and Borrego in the recent past, Lil E Tee, Prairie Bayou, Grindstone going back a few years.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2009, 12:29 AM   #9
racefinder2

I believe the 2003 winner was 'Sir Cherokee' who upset the Ark Dby field at about 40-1, closing late w a rush after an extremely fast pace. Im pretty sure he got hurt training up the Ky Dby, didnt run, and came back later, only to never regain his best form.
Im not sure what to make of yesterdays Rebel, IMO Old Fashioned has just been 'unmasked' as he wasnt able to hold a clear lead against a 50-1 shot after taking command of the pace. At the very least he was overhyped...they have to be concerned about rating out that speed going longer if hes got any chance at
1 1-4 miles.....
racefinder2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2009, 02:29 AM   #10
rcknhrse

Cool Racing Post Ratings {weekend races included

FRIESAN FIRE 118

I WANT REVENGE 115
QUALITY ROAD 115

WIN WILLY 114
OLD FASHIONED 114(OUT OF SAME RACE AS WIN WILLY BEATEN BY 2.25 LENGTHS.)
PAMPLEMOUSSE 114

PIONEER OF THE NILE 109 (MOST RECENT )But does have 112 and 115 prior to this weekend

TERRAIN 103 (MOST RECENT )113 3 STARTS BACK.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #11
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Well, the horse just made the gate for the Derby, so I guess I can understand them turning it down, but it is still $3M....Likely he gets beat by the win and you're in European however.....
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2009, 11:40 AM   #12
sandpit

Should have done like Russell Reineman did with War Emblem, sold 90% and you still get your name in the program and all the perks that come with having a Derby horse...I bet the guy that owns General Quarters wishes he had done something similar about now.
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #13
slewis
Veteran

For those that think 3 million is a "Take the money and run" price for Win Willy, I think the opposite.

3 mil is on the low side.

Ive been using my own data for many years now.. I wont bother posting figures in numbers but here were this weekends results (and the Gotham)

(Note my figures factor pace, final time, splits, ground loss, and weight, so dont post me back saying "But Imperial Council lost by over 8 lengths", I know that).

1) I Want Revenge
2) Friesan Fire ........ -2 lengths
2) Win Willy .........-2 lengths

3) Old Fashioned ..... -3.5 lengths
4) Rachel Alexandra . -3.5 lengths
5) Musket Man .......-6 lengths
6) Imperial Council ...-7 lengths
7) Mr. Fantasy ......-7 lengths
8) Flying Spur ......-7.5 lengths
9) Join in the Dance ..-7.5 lengths

I haven't looked at Win Willys pedigree closely but their is a considerable premium to pay for a horse that qualifies for the Kentucky Derby, and barring injury, he's in. What people from the outside looking in (referring to those not in the business) dont understand about buying racehorses, is that it's a very different commodity.
The pendulum almost always favors the owner of the horse, especially a good horse, and the buyer rarely gets true value from a dollars and cents prospective.

If Win Willy's pedigree is reasonable ( I haven't looked yet) , AND HE VETS, 3 mil would be closer to a steal then the other way around.
Only the downturn in the economy might keep the price around the 3 mil level.
slewis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2009, 12:27 PM   #14
Ian Meyers

I am surprised no one commented on the irony of Mac Robertson (or his owners) selling Hamazing Destiny to Lukas and winning with Win Willy. And who was betting the former down to 6-1 off a maiden sprint win?? He might turn out to be a nice horse, but going two turns against multiple winners?? I didn't have the winner, but 15% of the pool was dead money right from the start...

Hearty congrats to Mac Robertson who is just a great, and vastly underrated horseman.
Ian Meyers is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #15
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

His pedigree at first glance looks upside down. Distance on top and speed on bottom. Usually the reverse of what you look for.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply