Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-19-2023, 08:17 PM   #1
PalaceOfFortLarned

Gary Stevens Cut from NYRA, Fox Sports

Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens will not be part of America's Day at the Races telecast's nor NYRA next season.

PalaceOfFortLarned is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2023, 09:47 PM   #2
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

Other than being a name that people recognized, Gary brought nothing to the broadcast. I’m surprised it took so long for Gary to be let go.

You could tell he did no preparation before a broadcast and oftentimes had a hard time putting together sentences.
$w1fT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2023, 10:25 PM   #3
jimmyb

Not surprised.
jimmyb is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2023, 11:48 PM   #4
lamboguy

i have noticed lately that there are some new women on the TVG feeds and a couple that have not been on like Gabby Gaudet and Britney Eurton. the total coverage has been pretty boring the last 10 years. Frank Lyons used to liven things up along with Brad Cox, they were pretty funny at time. today its kind of boring. on the FOX show you got a great video feed that shows close-up views of the horses and of course, you see Jonathan Kinchen's shirt collection, i love that guy.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2023, 08:01 AM   #5
VeryOldMan

I don't wish the guy ill - he just didn't bring anything to the telecast. I thought the coverage took a step backwards when he would take over from Richard Migliore, who is a much sharper and more articulate analyst.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2023, 08:29 AM   #6
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
i have noticed lately that there are some new women on the TVG feeds and a couple that have not been on like Gabby Gaudet and Britney Eurton. the total coverage has been pretty boring the last 10 years. Frank Lyons used to liven things up along with Brad Cox, they were pretty funny at time. today its kind of boring. on the FOX show you got a great video feed that shows close-up views of the horses and of course, you see Jonathan Kinchen's shirt collection, i love that guy.
Let’s see….

Britney very publicly left TVG a month or so ago ( there might even be a thread here )

Gabby very publicly was pregnant and went on maternity leave a couple months ago

Frank Lyons left TVG over ten years ago

Brad Cox was never on TVG ( or any network ) save being interviewed

I’ll let Jonathan know you’re a big fan!
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2023, 08:38 AM   #7
racenomics

Not entirely surprising. He just didn’t bring anything to the conversation and as already mentioned was not good at putting together sentences. That said, best of luck to him in the future.
Old 12-20-2023, 08:47 AM   #8
lamboguy

sorry man, i meant Bryan Cox, the former football player for the Dolphins and Patriots.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2023, 10:30 AM   #9
metro

Frank Lyons? Talk about someone who did no preparation.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2023, 10:42 AM   #10
CheckMark

I was thinking about this last night, and I believe Gary could be a jockey agent for some upcoming riders.

I don't see him in another analyst role again. His delivery and presentation on ABR and NYRA feeds were pretty underwhelming which is probably a reason as to why he was let go.
Old 12-20-2023, 02:47 PM   #11
Brass Hat

I saw Frank Lyons a couple of times at Saratoga last summer. Glad to see he looked good. I reminded him of the Friday night telecasts from Hollywood Park with Bryan Cox - I think he's currently an NFL assistant coach. I don't remember the third person, probably Schrupp. They were a hoot.
Brass Hat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2023, 03:06 PM   #12
SBD400

I agree with the sentiment here. He has a good perspective as a jockey, but as an analyst he is not up to par, didn't present well and was not really prepared. I recall a conversation the team was having over a hard to unravel situation with an inquiry at Saratoga and I was confounded by what he was saying, it made no sense. I could see TLG was confounded also.
SBD400 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2023, 03:53 PM   #13
classhandicapper

If they are going to replace him, I hope they find another jockey. I'd rather hear the perspective of someone with expertise I don't have. I don't really care about the quality of his/her handicapping.
Old 12-20-2023, 04:15 PM   #14
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
If they are going to replace him, I hope they find another jockey. I'd rather hear the perspective of someone with expertise I don't have. I don't really care about the quality of his/her handicapping.
They have the MiG there already.

Judging by his social media, Gary doesn’t seem to be taking the news well. Even going out of his way to bash other current NYRA employees
$w1fT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2023, 04:15 PM   #15
djm1959

i didnt think he was that good myself. migliore is the best ex jock at racing analyst
djm1959 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply