Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-06-2019, 08:38 PM   #1
flatstats

Van Der Wheil

This is a system / method that has done the rounds in the UK for the past 3 decades or so. It is a method, which relies on form, class, and a ton of a pinch of salt.

I will admit I have always been sceptical of VDW methods. To me the method is just backfitted. It is a constantly whittled and refined process that epitomises all the evils of backfitting; namely shooting an arrow at a tree and painting a target around where the arrow lands and shouting out BULLSEYE!

I do not know the true history of this method but I believe one person created it in the 70s or 80s. That person then went onto write for a UK racing publication (or two) and that perpetuate the VDW myth for many years.

There are still punters today who swear by the method. It is based on form figures and prize values and with quick access to data and basic analysis those punters are able to fool themselves quicker than the 80s punters could open their weekly racing magazine.

The truth is this system never worked. And it is now at legendary folklore status.

The point I am trying to make is that there are dozens, hundreds, and will eventually be thousands of methods like this. Punters feed on them like flies around a cow pat. They feast on it.

Forget systems like that. Read them for the novelty value if you wish but don't ever think you will make a profit from them and never waste your time trying to "perfect it". It is lipstick on a pig, polishing a turd etc.
flatstats is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2019, 04:40 PM   #2
zerosky

You just have to do the 'Hard Yards"

Ptolemy once asked if there was a shorter road to learning geometry than through Euclid's*Elements to which Euclid replied...

"There is no Royal Road to Geometry"
zerosky is offline   Reply With Quote Reply