Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #1
DigitalDownsJoe

Australian Racing

Anyone understand the odds board at the Aussie tracks? If you look there is a odds, and a movers board or something. I was just curious if anyone had some tips for things to look for. I been getting lucky betting .20 supers there on TS but wondered why the odds jump so drastic at the end, and what that movers odds thing was. I bet horses @12-1 and see them drop to 4 or 5 to one in the last 30 seconds..Its all kinda crazy, I can read the forums and pretty much understand the handicapping system they use, but was looking for someone who had an angle with the tote boards..Thanks in advance

digitaldowns.us virtual horse racing
DigitalDownsJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #2
davew

Here is my take on it - I may be way off, but tried to find out about it a couple years ago. Australian Racing available in North America is a separate A, B, (C) track pool being run from an Australian feed. I think the pool is being run out of Oregon, but not sure. The tracks in Australian are all turf and only run for a few days every few weeks.

If you were actually in Australia, you can bet with bookies at fixed odds. These odds move during the day similar to Vegas lines on pro sports with more than anticipated action/bets on one interest. They also have parimutual at the location. The market mover is horse that made largest percentage drop in odds before the race.

The giant swings and changes we see in North America (NA) are because 1) relatively small pools, 2) all bets coming from offsite to central location (most bets made in last 5 mtp from around the world) and 3) some computer betters that are using arbitrage between NA pool and what is happening in Australia with bookies.

Their odds are return for $1 bet - 4.5 would return $4.50/dollar there
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!

there are a few Australian synthetic tracks now
Old 06-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
DigitalDownsJoe

That really helps thanks. I was thinking that must be the case with the odds move. The ML odds are pretty fair in these races, and I will often see the ML fav at 10/1 with 2 mins to post. I throw 50 on it, and when the race goes off he is 3 or 4 to one..Either the pools are really small or others are thinking the same thing. LOL I mainly bet jockeys and horses getting weight allowance in the longer races. The weight(inside pp) usually fairs better at he sprints at most tracks. Also they have a couple extra ground conditions(dead etc) which really need to be looked at when betting these horses.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
DigitalDownsJoe

Has this fixed odds betting ever been tested in the states at a track for like a whole meet etc? I know they do it for the KD and BC etc.

Old 06-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #6
Some_One

Theres little money in the American pools, so when all the money comes in late, it jumps all the odds, use tab.com.au to see the Aussie pools to get an ideal of what the prices will be.
Some_One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2013, 01:00 AM   #7
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

There is now Aussie A,B, and the new C.....

I haven't seen it since last time I was in Connecticut but when I'm betting it im buried.....and they don't exactly rush to pay you either
wiffleball whizz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
rcknhrse

tote american for aussie

there are web sites that show the betting in australia.
tabtouch is the best IMHO
the pattern has been clear for years.
sharpies in america bet a horse early to draw away from the horses betting in australia.Then cancel their wagers and get on 1 of the action horses on the aussie tote
if you go to the aussie tote you can predict which horses are going to get hit late
because they have been bet early in australia
Old 10-26-2013, 04:15 AM   #9
dkithore

Your observation has merit. I regularly play Aussie racing and TS pools are small so smart guys do just what you said. Thay know what the Aussied Market Mover is and then change their bets accordingly. Once in a while you benefit when the crowd goes right and you left. Your horse wins and pays off higher than you expected. It happens to me at least once a day on average. So, now I don't worry when odds jump all over the place in last 2 min. I stay with my spot of 5-1 and 10-1 range. Today, a 10-1 dropped to 5/2 and then backed up to 3-1. so be it. I accept because not much u can do about that.
dkithore is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-30-2013, 05:08 AM   #10
comet52

I think they run it out of Hastings at Vancouver, BC, not Oregon.
comet52 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-30-2013, 05:09 AM   #11
comet52

Oh and it's Melbourne Cup day next Monday night, can't wait.
comet52 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-31-2013, 12:48 AM   #12
Some_One

Great card Friday night as well
Old 11-18-2013, 06:06 PM   #13
Vigorish

Hub and Takeout for Australian Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by comet52
I think they run it out of Hastings at Vancouver, BC, not Oregon.
Greetings,

I performed an exhaustive search trying to find where the signal originated and what the takeout was for various wagers. Multiple ADW's, including Twinspires, where unable to locate the information. Finally, I got the correct information through Australian Racing.

I have played Australian Racing for three years, mainly tiny exactas, looking for market inefficiencies. The large fields are a huge bonus. Unfortunately, the takeout is horrid except for WPS. Anyway, three weeks ago I wrote Australian Racing and they responded with up-to-date and accurate info on their takeout and hub.

"Greetings Jeffrey,

We’re glad to hear you enjoy the Australian Racing product, and apologize that you haven’t been able to get through to anyone regarding the takeout structure.

Woodbine does indeed hub our international pools, and their takeout structure for our racing according to CPMA rules is as follows:

WPS: 16.80%
Quin/Exa: 24.80%
Superfecta: 26.30%
Trifecta: 27.80%
PK3: 26.30%
PK4: 26.30%

I hope this answers your query, and feel free to contact us with any questions regarding Australian Racing in the future.

Best of luck on the punt,

<snipped>
<snipped>@australianracing.com
Vigorish is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #14
olddaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigorish
Greetings,

"Greetings Jeffrey,

We’re glad to hear you enjoy the Australian Racing product, and apologize that you haven’t been able to get through to anyone regarding the takeout structure.

Woodbine does indeed hub our international pools, and their takeout structure for our racing according to CPMA rules is as follows:

WPS: 16.80%
Quin/Exa: 24.80%
Superfecta: 26.30%
Trifecta: 27.80%
PK3: 26.30%
PK4: 26.30%

I hope this answers your query, and feel free to contact us with any questions regarding Australian Racing in the future.

Best of luck on the punt,

<snipped>
<snipped>@australianracing.com
I have been wondering about this also and couldnt find the info so thanks. I assume Japan racing has a similar take. Knowing the different takes from all international racing would be useful but dont know how to get it. Hana only shows n. america take outs.
olddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #15
Some_One

Japan horse racing is through Woodbine as well, their details/info was on the last page of the free pdf from last weekends racing (note this weekend is the Japan Cup).