Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 03-15-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
nomadpat

Derby Future Pool 2

Now that the pool is over, did anyone place any bets?

I looked for a horse that was over 10/1 that had shown some closing ability and came up with Imperial Council. Not necessarily who I think will win or would be my top choice right now, but for a small wager and fun, what the heck.
nomadpat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
Toss_DeLoser

Bought Rachel, Dunkirk and Pamplewhatever yesterday
Toss_DeLoser is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2009, 11:39 PM   #3
Bennie

exactas?

Anyone see what the exacta payouts will be? I used Dunkirk, I Want Revenge and Imperial Council on top and mixed in Freisan Fire and Theregoesjoe underneath. Already have Pioneer of the Nile from Pool #1.
Bennie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2009, 02:31 AM   #4
rcknhrse

EXACTA GRID FOR DERBY FUTURES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennie
Anyone see what the exacta payouts will be? I used Dunkirk, I Want Revenge and Imperial Council on top and mixed in Freisan Fire and Theregoesjoe underneath. Already have Pioneer of the Nile from Pool #1.
FOLLOW THIS LINK
http://www.horse-races.net/library/k...re2.htm#exacta
Old 03-16-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
MickJ26

Just curious, has anybody ever made any money from this type of bet? Picking the Derby winner on Derby Day is hard enough as it is, much less two or three months before.
MickJ26 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
cj's dad

Monarchos @ 19/1 - bought ticket during 2nd pool. Just a lucky play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickJ26
Just curious, has anybody ever made any money from this type of bet? Picking the Derby winner on Derby Day is hard enough as it is, much less two or three months before.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
MickJ26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj's dad
Monarchos @ 19/1 - bought ticket during 2nd pool. Just a lucky play.

Nice job. That was the Point Given Derby right? What did Monarchos go off at?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
cj's dad

Quote:
Nice job. That was the Point Given Derby right? What did Monarchos go off at?

If I remember correctly, that was the derby where Invisible Ink ran 2nd and the exacta was $2000+. I also believe Monarchos went off at higher odds on DD than my future wager. Trust me- it was just luck.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:36 AM   #9
BUD

I picked up Old Fashion and Friesian Fire ((sp)) in round one----The Wife round 2 picked up Chocolate Candy-----And I Something Bear? it was 99/1---Bear is my daughters nickname so I figured whats 2 bucks--

So I have 8 bucks budgeted into the Derby-- Do I think they are going to win-----The first 2 I thought had a chance---the last 2---For fun----

Now If TwinSpires crashes again on Derby Day I have my action in-----Well maybe, if at least one of them makes the 20.
BUD is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #10
sandpit

Quote:
I've been fortunate enough to hit Fusaichi Pegasus for $27 or so and Monarchos at something around $40, I think...my wife bet on Giacomo once, but it paid almost exactly the same as he did Derby Day, lol.
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #11
sandpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcknhrse
Great link, thanks. I wonder how come the Derby website doesn't have these exacta payouts posted. Maybe they're too busy with their incessant bloggers?
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #12
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

I got around 11-1 on Smarty Jones, but they didn't put him in the wager til the third round or I would have made a whole lot more on him back in the days when the consensus was that he wouldn't "get the distance"
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-16-2009, 02:11 PM   #13
MickJ26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadpat
Now that the pool is over, did anyone place any bets?

I looked for a horse that was over 10/1 that had shown some closing ability and came up with Imperial Council. Not necessarily who I think will win or would be my top choice right now, but for a small wager and fun, what the heck.

Just assuming Pioneer of the Nile wins the SA Derby, Dunkirk wins the Florida Derby, I Want Revenge wins the Wood, Old Fashioned wins the Arkansas Derby and Friesan Fire wins the Blue Grass; does anybody expect any of these horses to go off at less than 3-1? Thanks.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #14
cj's dad

Quote:
Just assuming Pioneer of the Nile wins the SA Derby, Dunkirk wins the Florida Derby, I Want Revenge wins the Wood, Old Fashioned wins the Arkansas Derby and Friesan Fire wins the Blue Grass; does anybody expect any of these horses to go off at less than 3-1? Thanks.
Wouldn't field size have something to do with that ?? But yes to less than 3/1.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:50 PM   #15
W2G

Futures are basically terrible wagers, but if your pick(s) at least makes the starting gate then the bet provides plenty of action. However if you're one of those who lay big money on the field in pool 1, I suspect (but am not sure) that you see a long-term profit.

My current top 2 are Imperial Council and Desert Party respectively, so I kept it simple -- win bets on both and exactas using both, weighted accordingly.
W2G is offline   Reply With Quote Reply