Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-05-2023, 02:59 PM   #16
bisket

I did read that Mage’s connections mentioned he was getting aggressive in his training before the Travers. Then he bolted from the gate with the pace leaders in the Travers. The jock took him back off the pace, and he never was a factor after that. I thought he could probably use another race to settle him down, but they’re training up to the Classic. I can’t put a line through him at this point, but I don’t know that I would bet him in a few months.
bisket is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2023, 03:01 PM   #17
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisket View Post
I did read that Mage’s connections mentioned he was getting aggressive in his training before the Travers. Then he bolted from the gate with the pace leaders in the Travers. The jock took him back off the pace, and he never was a factor after that. I thought he could probably use another race to settle him down, but they’re training up to the Classic. I can’t put a line through him at this point, but I don’t know that I would bet him in a few months.
If he's training up to the Classic off that race, I can definitely put a line through him.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2023, 07:54 PM   #18
burnsy
self medicated

They tried to say the Haskell was a prep too . For Mage . Forte and Mage didn’t look good at all . Right from the gate . But Mage tries to run along side Arcangelo mid way thru. It’s no contest . Watch the replay . This horse looks about as good as it gets . If Arcangelo takes another step forward . He’s deadly . If that happens I’m confident there’s not a horse around that can beat him on dirt at a Classic distance. I’m always hesitant about the Belmont . They’ll never run that again. But at the Classic distance . Right now . He looked like a Cadillac. I don’t care what people say . No one has run like that this year at the distance .
Even in the Paddock pre race , this horse is a good one . Arrogate jr right now .
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-05-2023, 08:01 PM   #19
bisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
They tried to say the Haskell was a prep too . For Mage . Forte and Mage didn’t look good at all . Right from the gate . But Mage tries to run along side Arcangelo mid way thru. It’s no contest . Watch the replay . This horse looks about as good as it gets . If Arcangelo takes another step forward . He’s deadly . If that happens I’m confident there’s not a horse around that can beat him on dirt at a Classic distance. I’m always hesitant about the Belmont . They’ll never run that again. But at the Classic distance . Right now . He looked like a Cadillac. I don’t care what people say . No one has run like that this year at the distance .
Even in the Paddock pre race , this horse is a good one . Arrogate jr right now .
Watching the race I thought Arcangelo was playing with them. Lol one minute Javy is 2nd then in the backstretch he’s fourth. Then he makes that devastating 4 wide move on the turn, changes leads and buh bye top of the stretch. Javy is a marked man in the Classic. Arcangelo overcomes that… 🙏🙏 thanks for keeping the bloodline…
Old 09-05-2023, 08:43 PM   #20
Brass Hat

I was watching Mage's warm-up on the track before the race; the jockey was galloping him at a good clip as if trying to burn off extra energy. I thought that was a good sign and the price was better than Arcangelo and Forte....WRONG!
Brass Hat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2023, 09:14 AM   #21
bisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Hat View Post
I was watching Mage's warm-up on the track before the race; the jockey was galloping him at a good clip as if trying to burn off extra energy. I thought that was a good sign and the price was better than Arcangelo and Forte....WRONG!
I don’t think he’s trained hard enough. Most of these horses have been training since November, December, or January. They put him away after The Preakness, and I don’t think he’s fit now. I thought maybe another race would take the edge off and maybe he’d settle down in the Classic. Nope they took him back to that training center in Kentucky. Some of the others haven’t raced regularly, but they’ve been training regularly.
Old 09-06-2023, 05:58 PM   #22
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
They tried to say the Haskell was a prep too .
If your horse is always prepping, then you never have any responsibility to get your horse to run a good race.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply