Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 07-15-2018, 02:30 PM   #31
tophatmert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Numbers dont really dont show that though.

I did a query, super trainers, Morning line fav that went off at 7/2 or more, so these are horses who were under bet.

The win percentage drops to 17%, but that lines up statistically with the odds range I did, and the ROI is dang close to break even. So they are still performing from a betting standpoint. Maybe your missing some of the key signs of nonperformance from these trainers but odds based they still do well.
Did you query a specific list of trainers or was it based on winning percentage or something like that?
tophatmert is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2018, 02:35 PM   #32
GMB@BP

100% disagree.

I dont go horse by horse and right now my bet against strong favorite algorithms are hitting at 78%. Granted it only finds 4-8 horses per day and maybe a few more on the weekends. Its a very narrow search.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #33
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophatmert View Post
Did you query a specific list of trainers or was it based on winning percentage or something like that?
here was the paremeters

all turf races
all distances
Morning Line favorites
Max odds 2/1

win percentage was 36%

If you just say 2/1 or less without the ML check than you can get multiple horses per race which throws off the win percentage.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:45 PM   #34
tophatmert

Quote:
here was the paremeters

all turf races
all distances
Morning Line favorites
Max odds 2/1

win percentage was 36%

If you just say 2/1 or less without the ML check than you can get multiple horses per race which throws off the win percentage.
Thanks for the answer.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #35
GMB@BP

Quote:
shoot I think I got response mixed up

No I didnt do a trainer specific search but all trainers who qualified as super trainers (its a mix of factors), but its highly accurate in terms of identifying the usual suspects.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:10 PM   #36
tophatmert

Quote:
shoot I think I got response mixed up

No I didnt do a trainer specific search but all trainers who qualified as super trainers (its a mix of factors), but its highly accurate in terms of identifying the usual suspects.
I'm really interested in only a few of the suspects generally but thanks for your answers .
Old 07-15-2018, 03:17 PM   #37
GMB@BP

Quote:
I'm really interested in only a few of the suspects generally but thanks for your answers .
give me the names and i can help
Old 07-15-2018, 03:37 PM   #38
tophatmert

Quote:
give me the names and i can help
Navarro.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:21 PM   #39
GMB@BP

Quote:
Navarro.
Navarro

So what you describe rarely happens with him, where his horses are underbet. Granted I only have 3 months but here are some stats.

parameters

MLF + OFF odds between 3/1-5/1..so basically overlays based on MLF.

4 races....1 win. So it basically does not happen

how about ML 2nd choice and 4/1-6/1

5 races....0 wins. so no real sample size other than to say this is an oddity (though at 1 for 9 between the two its a good bet against angle.

Navarro less the 2/1

92 runners....48 wins...0.95 ROI

3 months of data.

Navarro >5/1 all races

0/12
Old 07-15-2018, 07:25 PM   #40
AndyC

Quote:
100% disagree.

I dont go horse by horse and right now my bet against strong favorite algorithms are hitting at 78%. Granted it only finds 4-8 horses per day and maybe a few more on the weekends. Its a very narrow search.
So your algorithms are just for race classes? If the algorithms are used to identify a vulnerable favorite wouldn't that be horse-by-horse? The theme of this thread seems to have centered on a certain race classes yielding more vulnerable favorites so that if a NW3L race was being run there would be presumption of a vulnerable favorite. To me a vulnerable favorite is one that would win at a lesser rate than normal for the given odds.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2018, 07:38 PM   #41
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
So your algorithms are just for race classes? If the algorithms are used to identify a vulnerable favorite wouldn't that be horse-by-horse? The theme of this thread seems to have centered on a certain race classes yielding more vulnerable favorites so that if a NW3L race was being run there would be presumption of a vulnerable favorite. To me a vulnerable favorite is one that would win at a lesser rate than normal for the given odds.
well from that stand point, everything is horse to horse. Its impossible to just say I play these races as the fav does not win as much. Even in the best case its going to be > than 30% winners.

Some of mine are class based but almost all are some kind of combination of angle based. One of my best plays against is NW1X/OC1X, broke mdn last out by large margin, pace below race par, bad barn, ML Fav. These horses have an IV below .50 and win well below the 35% avg winner for that class.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:58 PM   #42
jay68802

Quote:
Navarro

So what you describe rarely happens with him, where his horses are underbet. Granted I only have 3 months but here are some stats.

parameters

MLF + OFF odds between 3/1-5/1..so basically overlays based on MLF.

4 races....1 win. So it basically does not happen

how about ML 2nd choice and 4/1-6/1

5 races....0 wins. so no real sample size other than to say this is an oddity (though at 1 for 9 between the two its a good bet against angle.

Navarro less the 2/1

92 runners....48 wins...0.95 ROI

3 months of data.

Navarro >5/1 all races

0/12

Got to say this, when the money shows, he wins more than 50% of the time. Wonder if that is a coincidence?
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2018, 10:16 PM   #43
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Got to say this, when the money shows, he wins more than 50% of the time. Wonder if that is a coincidence?
I need more data but for the past 3 months

Trainer change - 11/21 with a 1.14 ROI

considering that he takes so much money thats pretty amazing.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:45 AM   #44
tophatmert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
And when it doesn't show his horses that are around 5-1 on the board probably should be 20-1 if you are making your own line. I have always found it a good starting point when one of the favorites damn near tell you they will not be participating for the win. It is more of a feel thing for me at this point but it shows some good results.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:35 PM   #45
jay68802

Makes the sweet spot on him 6/5 to 5/2. Should have a slightly positive ROI in that odds range.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: