Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-19-2018, 05:39 PM   #31
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
Nice job John, for being in your mid 70's you've still got it Pal, completely forgot about this awful event....
Randall's back and just as sharp as ever.
Augenj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 05:41 PM   #32
098poi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Fine. Maybe you can swing some influence and get him a job at Costco. Because in horseracing...people have to conduct themselves properly even under the "wrong circumstances".

I too wish him the best. I have been sober for many years, coming up on 20. (Except for the horse racing. Damn!)
It's not easy but a much better way to live.

Having said that this is so funny to me. Taking pictures with fans at Costco although nice is hardly the great publicity boost this sport needs.
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 05:43 PM   #33
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 098poi View Post
I too wish him the best. I have been sober for many years, coming up on 20. (Except for the horse racing. Damn!)
It's not easy but a much better way to live.

Having said that this is so funny to me. Taking pictures with fans at Costco although nice is hardly the great publicity boost this sport needs.
He was on local station KUSI and the San Diego Union featured article today.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 05:56 PM   #34
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe View Post
best jockey that ever rode a horse
except for Arienne Cox-just ask Tiffani
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #35
098poi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
He was on local station KUSI and the San Diego Union featured article today.

098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 06:21 PM   #36
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Partick Valenzuela is a prime example of the relative "lawlessness" with which this game has been marred since its inception. He should have been permanently banned many years ago. Yes...we all deserve a "second chance", and maybe even a THIRD one. But we don't deserve an INFINITE amount of "second chances"...which is what P-Val has gotten in this game.

Even if his latest absence is injury-related, that doesn't excuse him for the other times...when he disgraced himself, and endangered those who worked beside him.

P-Val gets no sympathy, or "benefit-of-doubt"...from me.
Correct. We all should be fully supportive of him and wish him all the success-as a waiter, author, politician, or some other profession. No person with his record should hold any sort of horse racing license.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #37
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Correct. We all should be fully supportive of him and wish him all the success-as a waiter, author, politician, or some other profession. No person with his record should hold any sort of horse racing license.
To add a bit about this.

You can't view this as an issue of "he's an addict, he needs our help". He does, and we should support him.

But there are certain professions that are compatible with being a drug addict in remission, and other professions that aren't. Being a jockey is not compatible with it. If he relapses, he could hurt a horse, or fix a race to pay a debt to a drug dealer, or not show up to ride a key mount.

And bear in mind one other thing. It isn't just that he failed drug tests. He also skipped drug tests, and lied to regulators repeatedly.

And that last one is really huge-- lying to regulators will get you barred from any profession. If I lie to the State Bar, they can pull my law license. If a stockbroker lies to the SEC, she can get barred from brokering stock trades. Etc.

If you are a jockey on drugs, and you don't promptly report that you have taken drugs to the regulators, forcing them to detect it in a test, or you simply fail to show up for work and lie and say that your car broke down when in fact it is drug related, that's a separate, even worse violation. And Patrick Valenzuela has lied to stewards countless times in those circumstances.

You can't be giving jockey licenses to people who have repeatedly, over and over again, lied to racing officials. That is above and beyond the positive drug tests.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:38 PM   #38
Andy Asaro

Why does everyone want to micromanage his life? If he's high while riding he gets suspended.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:46 PM   #39
iamt

Who is "everyone" trying to micromanage his life. Seems most people are happy for him to do whatever they want with his life, except for race riding again. A stance, given the number of times he has breached license conditions that is completely understandable.
iamt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2018, 09:09 PM   #40
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
To add a bit about this.

You can't view this as an issue of "he's an addict, he needs our help". He does, and we should support him.

But there are certain professions that are compatible with being a drug addict in remission, and other professions that aren't. Being a jockey is not compatible with it. If he relapses, he could hurt a horse, or fix a race to pay a debt to a drug dealer, or not show up to ride a key mount.

And bear in mind one other thing. It isn't just that he failed drug tests. He also skipped drug tests, and lied to regulators repeatedly.

And that last one is really huge-- lying to regulators will get you barred from any profession. If I lie to the State Bar, they can pull my law license. If a stockbroker lies to the SEC, she can get barred from brokering stock trades. Etc.

If you are a jockey on drugs, and you don't promptly report that you have taken drugs to the regulators, forcing them to detect it in a test, or you simply fail to show up for work and lie and say that your car broke down when in fact it is drug related, that's a separate, even worse violation. And Patrick Valenzuela has lied to stewards countless times in those circumstances.

You can't be giving jockey licenses to people who have repeatedly, over and over again, lied to racing officials. That is above and beyond the positive drug tests.
And, when he was informed that a hair follicle drug test would be performed on him...he appeared at the track with all the hair on his person completely shaved off. But, HEY...he was seen giggling with a bunch of women at a Costco...so, he must be a great guy.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:18 AM   #41
TonyK@HSH

I nearly worked as PVAL's agent in the mid-atlantic region two years ago. He had been riding in La, and pretty well in my opinion. Then my son, who is an excellent horseman, called me and asked if I'd be interested in PVAL. My son had been with PVAL every day in La and saw that PVAL was clean and dedicated to his profession. He was working out daily and riding his bike 20 miles a day.

Despite being licensed in several states, commissions in the mid-atlantic region were reluctant to license him, so we never got together. The man I saw was a good man with a sparkling personality. He would have been good for racing.

Just my opinion.....
TonyK@HSH is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #42
castaway01

Quote:
People have no idea how charismatic he is and how good he is for the game under the right circumstances.

Brought him to Costco with me one day. We spent about a half hour taking pictures with him and a bunch of Customers (mostly women)
So if he was ugly, then he should stay banned, but because he's good-looking and women like him he should be given a 47th chance at getting a license?

I hope P Val stays clean and lives a long, happy life but keep him off the track.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-20-2018, 04:57 PM   #43
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
So if he was ugly, then he should stay banned, but because he's good-looking and women like him he should be given a 47th chance at getting a license?

I hope P Val stays clean and lives a long, happy life but keep him off the track.
If you watched the video interview on KUSI you'd see the man has something to offer.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:38 PM   #44
dilanesp

Quote:
If you watched the video interview on KUSI you'd see the man has something to offer.
I don't care, Andy. Seriously. This is a regulated sport. It's a privilege to be able to hold a license in it.

If he has something to offer, there are plenty of career paths open to him. Indeed, given both his fame and accomplishments and what he has been through, I am actually quite sure that he can find a way to offer it in some public way.

But we can't have drug addicted jockeys, period. And we can't have proven liars in any capacity, and he lied repeatedly.

So it doesn't matter to me how many people come on here and say what an amazing person he is, how he has changed, or anything else. He shouldn't have anything to do with the regulated sport of horse racing.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:47 PM   #45
Robert Fischer
clean money

"Ladies and gentlemen this is your captain Patrick Valenzuela speaking. Would like to welcome you onboard this ValueJet Airlines flight PA911 to Malaysia."

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: