Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 11-15-2015, 05:27 PM   #31
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I smell a Rhonda Rousey vs Sasha Banks Wrestlemania match.
I'd pay to see a Rhonda Rousey/Azalea Banks Prison Rules fight

(If you have to ask who Azalea Banks is----you're not too old for google)
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2015, 07:16 PM   #32
RunForTheRoses

On the pay per view feed Rousey was listed at -1200 and Holm +700.

I had seen Holm's first UFC fight and it was underwhelming. She came into the fight with a lot of hype and won but did not dominate. I did not see her subsequent fights.

Her Fight camp, Greg Jackson out of New Mexico is arguably the greatest stable (maybe not the word but I'm a horseplayer). They have GSP, Jon Jones and many other champs/great fighters and are known for their great fight strategies (even if boring, not the case in this one).

I read Ronda's book and I somewhat like her but am glad she lost. Very arrogant. Wouldn't touch gloves. Wouldn't shake hands with Miesha Tate. I'm glad she was humbled.

That said, a better camp would be a good idea. Almost always ground game beats striking. Rousey is an Olympic level Judoka. She should have just tried to take it to the ground and snap her arm off. She had no business striking but...previously there had been no one near Holm's level of striking ability.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2015, 07:30 PM   #33
Marshall Bennett

I never watch. Just curious, without padded gloves do these women ever get seriously hurt? Then when the woman's down, the other pounces on her and starts beat her face. Seems kinda barbaric.
And they don't allow bullfighting in this country because it's cruel to a bull.
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2015, 07:39 PM   #34
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
I never watch. Just curious, without padded gloves do these women ever get seriously hurt? Then when the woman's down, the other pounces on her and starts beat her face. Seems kinda barbaric.
Same here - I cannot watch women fight, period.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:41 PM   #35
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
I'm not a fan of female MMA. There was a UFC season, can;t remember the name of the show, they put fighters in a house and they fight each other, and it just seemed F ed up seeing some of them. At the elite level you have to throw your whole self, face and all into the mix. This can be tough to watch even with males:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWUGMXDxWIk
Old 11-15-2015, 08:37 PM   #36
RunForTheRoses

I'm glad she was humbled
Old 11-15-2015, 09:26 PM   #37
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
Oh so you are smarter than the linesmakers? What would you have made her?

I don't bet UFC, so I couldn't put a price on the fight. But I haven't heard anyone say Rousey should've been a tepid 3-5 favorite.
With all the hype on Rousey, she was an underlay plain and simple. What I can't understand is that everyone on here is butthurt about my comments on an outcome that each and every one of you has seen happen MANY times over the years with overhyped people and/or horses. You guys got emotionally invested in Rousey and don't want to admit it.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2015, 10:30 AM   #38
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6
I disagree as well. The surprise for me would have been Rousey winning. Holm is very good too. Rousey is good, but has been mightily distracted recently and that is never good when training. You could tell her preparation for the match was subpar. She had no answer for the left jab. The line was begging you to put your cash on Rousey.
Okay, so I finally watched the fight, reluctantly.
It wasn't the left jab - it was the straight left that Rousey couldn't deal with.

Holm is a southpaw and it looked to me that Rousey hadn't prepared for a lefty, period. She was eating those straight lefts until one of them stunned her and the kick finished her off.

UNPREPARED & OVERCONFIDENT
(didn't she see Rocky 2? or 3? or 4?)
Old 11-16-2015, 01:27 PM   #39
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
Okay, so I finally watched the fight, reluctantly.
It wasn't the left jab - it was the straight left that Rousey couldn't deal with.

Holm is a southpaw and it looked to me that Rousey hadn't prepared for a lefty, period. She was eating those straight lefts until one of them stunned her and the kick finished her off.

UNPREPARED & OVERCONFIDENT
(didn't she see Rocky 2? or 3? or 4?)
I'm I'm no expert, but I've watched a lot of MMA. All of the great ones get beat. Gsp, A. Silva ,Fedor etc. It'll be interesting to6see how Jon Jones comes back from suspension. There's so many ways to lose. Still, very few people saw this one coming. I certainly didn't. I'm hoping this doesn't hurt women's MMA.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2015, 02:41 PM   #40
ManU918

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsmac
I'm I'm no expert, but I've watched a lot of MMA. All of the great ones get beat. Gsp, A. Silva ,Fedor etc. It'll be interesting to6see how Jon Jones comes back from suspension. There's so many ways to lose. Still, very few people saw this one coming. I certainly didn't. I'm hoping this doesn't hurt women's MMA.
The great ones get beat but I sure hope you're not saying Ronda is great. What has she proven? GSP for instance lost 2 fights and came back and defeated both guys (Hughes and Serra). After his second loss GSP ran off 11 straight wins against very respected fighters. Ronda IMO has a lot to prove.
ManU918 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2015, 03:34 PM   #41
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManU918
The great ones get beat but I sure hope you're not saying Ronda is great. What has she proven? GSP for instance lost 2 fights and came back and defeated both guys (Hughes and Serra). After his second loss GSP ran off 11 straight wins against very respected fighters. Ronda IMO has a lot to prove.
As far as the women are concerned, I'd have to call her great. She beat just about every top Bantanweight going into Saturday's fight. The majority weren't even competitive. Women's Mma hasn't been around very long, but she was dominant in those 2 or3 years. She never fought anyone with the boxing ability of Holm, so that's the1st time she ate so many punches. Meisha is a wrestler, Zangano and Bethe don't have Holm's stand-up skills either. I figured she would take her time, get her in clinches,take her down and submit her. The rematch will be very interesting, assuming Holm doesn't have a fight or loss in between.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2015, 06:09 PM   #42
Stillriledup
Veteran

Insiders crushed vegas.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2015, 06:12 PM   #43
horses4courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Insiders crushed vegas.
Source?
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2015, 06:21 PM   #44
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses
Source?
Michael Kay show on yes network was talking about it.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2015, 07:38 PM   #45
PICSIX
Mike Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses
Source?
Found this:

http://m.reviewjournal.com/sports/be...rousey-ufc-193