Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-19-2023, 09:44 PM   #31
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time lasix View Post
The moderator has displayed that he thinks he “ knows” everything about most everything. And clearly based in his numerous mind numbing right wing meme posts -he is all knowing about how everyone should view the world. Even as a conservative… I find closed minds a sign of mental weakness.
See, this makes me laugh.

People like you are so fragile, you can't keep things where they belong, and you hold these things against people as if it matters elsewhere, like in horse racing.

That's the problem in today's world in a nutshell. You take one thing you don't like about a person and you immediately discount everything else about them and extrapolate out to the ends of the earth.

I, on the other hand, have zero problems having civil conversations about racing with people in this part of the forum, no matter what they've written on off-topic.

And in the 20+ years I've been here, I'd be surprised if I've ever brought into the racing forums what someone had written on off-topic.

That's just piss-poor form.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 01-19-2023 at 09:49 PM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2023, 09:57 PM   #32
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustin Stones View Post
PJ's are an interesting cultural topic. Back when dinosaurs roamed, I went to job interviews in a suit and tie. My daughter in law, who works for a grocer, tells me it isn't unusual for young people to show up at their interview in pj's. I get that it isn't a reliable measure of a future employee's worth, but you'd think there'd be more effort into making a visual impression.
We get “guests” at our restaurant in Jammie’s and slippers all the time. Mostly Latino and normally grandma with the family.

We had a “ family party”rent out our party room on Thanksgiving day.

Several showed up in Jammies and headphones. When they wheeled grandma thru the door in a hospital bed with an IV hanging I thought I had seen it all……
Old 01-19-2023, 11:06 PM   #33
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I was about to delete that post since it had nothing to do with the topic, but since you quoted it and replied I'll leave it to PA.

Reminder to all...NO POLITICS in the horse sections!
I would consider you deleting any of my posts here to be a personal favor.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2023, 12:03 AM   #34
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
We get “guests” at our restaurant in Jammie’s and slippers all the time. Mostly Latino and normally grandma with the family.

Several showed up in Jammies and headphones. When they wheeled grandma thru the door in a hospital bed with an IV hanging I thought I had seen it all……
I mean, you see it in the grocery store, so I guess no surprise people are going out to eat in pajamas.

Can't explain the IV but then it's after midnight here. Maybe the world will make more sense in the morning.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2023, 10:37 AM   #35
judehaz

Quote:

This is actually quite beautiful. Grandma might have wanted one last of her favorite meals while she still had the chance. She was getting busy living. Good for her and for them for making it happen.
judehaz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2023, 11:03 AM   #36
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
See, this makes me laugh.

People like you are so fragile, you can't keep things where they belong, and you hold these things against people as if it matters elsewhere, like in horse racing.

That's the problem in today's world in a nutshell. You take one thing you don't like about a person and you immediately discount everything else about them and extrapolate out to the ends of the earth.

I, on the other hand, have zero problems having civil conversations about racing with people in this part of the forum, no matter what they've written on off-topic.

And in the 20+ years I've been here, I'd be surprised if I've ever brought into the racing forums what someone had written on off-topic.

That's just piss-poor form.
Adding to what PA wrote one of the biggest issues noted with social media in general is many people have forgotten the concept of mutual exclusiveness.

One person can hold what another may consider awful opinions on one topic and totally agreeable opinions on another topic, but can be colored (or dismissed) completely by another person based on the awful opinion. Put another way, the ability to disagree and part friends appears much less prolific than in the past.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2023, 02:01 PM   #37
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by judehaz View Post
This is actually quite beautiful. Grandma might have wanted one last of her favorite meals while she still had the chance. She was getting busy living. Good for her and for them for making it happen.
She was out of it. But they were hand feeding her……….

It was a private room or we would have had to say no…….

Btw….they never mentioned Grandma when they rented the room
Old 01-20-2023, 02:36 PM   #38
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Btw….they never mentioned Grandma when they rented the room
Old 01-20-2023, 03:02 PM   #39
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercapper View Post
Put another way, the ability to disagree and part friends appears much less prolific than in the past.
I think when people "perceive" the stakes to be higher they become less tolerant and it becomes harder to compromise and remain friends.
Old 01-20-2023, 06:15 PM   #40
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I’m guessing there is a YouTube link here? Once again I can’t see it on my IPad.

Tweets are hit n miss. Apple did an update this week.

I was able to see the code when I clicked the quote and watched the video that way……

Shazam!
Old 01-21-2023, 01:42 PM   #41
MooseDog

Back to the OP's opening comment:

I would agree with mountainman that the number of people drawing that kind of salary in the industry is higher than you think. Getting into the right position is largely a matter of luck so networking is essential.

Adjunct industry technical/programming/product management jobs will almost certainly pay in that neighborhood or more though not directly involved in racing.

If you are talking about on-track jobs, you won't likely find or get those jobs "off the street". For the most part, it seems that getting a degree from the U of Arizona RTIP can get you an inside track, as is being accepted in the Godolphin Flying Start program.

Knowing someone or even better being related to someone already in an important position at that track can be a big plus.

If you are willing to work at it, there are ways to do multiple jobs in racing, none which require a degree and make that kind of money. I know personally of someone who works 4-5 different positions at a track, all paying on the lower side of things and probably pulls down close to six figures gross.

Keep in mind starting salaries are ridiculously low. Where I'm at you can make more flipping burgers or waiting on tables ($20-25/hr) than any entry level job at the local track.

I spent the better part of the pandemic looking for racing jobs so if you want to know some specific ranges for jobs I found available feel free to PM me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judehaz View Post
But, then I wonder, outside of owners, trainers, jockeys, agents, buyers, etc. (the true Horsemen) - how many jobs are paying $100k or more? This is what I would consider a strong middle-class USA salary these days, which of course is dependent upon where you live.

Track announcers, handicappers and on-air personalities can't be making too much based on what I've heard here and elsewhere, aside from the few well-known outliers. But, I often wonder how lucrative even those gigs are for the names we all know.

Not looking for anyone to share personal salary info, but curious PA's perspectives on this.
MooseDog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: