Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 05:07 PM   #46
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by $w1fT View Post
People here are saying it too, I don’t get it.

It’s like the first time she’s EVER called a race was yesterday. In a real industry, you work your way up, submit a demo tape etc.

Do you think racing did this? No way.
That's what I'm thinking. How do you walk into a job at mid/upper tier track with virtually no experience?

Without being too harsh, I'll just say that I'm not impressed with her work.
Old 11-16-2022, 05:11 PM   #47
turfeyejoe

Let me preface my remarks by saying I dislike the racing at Parx and avoid the cards if there's any other viable alternative. Based on the calls I've heard these past two days, I'm even less likely to watch Parx races now. The single word that comes to mind is "amateurish." If she doesn't improve greatly in a short amount of time, they ought to start looking for an experienced replacement.
Old 11-16-2022, 07:49 PM   #48
craigbraddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsemenHeist View Post
Dani Jackson called some races at Turf Paradise last year and she is by far the best female caller I've ever heard, better than most male callers. A shame Parx was unable to find her if they were hiring based on gender.

I don't think Turf has their replays on Youtube, but check out the replays on January 20, and she did a great job.
As Dani's mentor, I am very happy to hear this. Dani has a very established career in the UK but I cannot express how determined and hardworking she is to become a professional racecaller. Not just in the sense of calling for money but also in every aspect of her approach.

I was actually speaking to Dani this morning and we are planning her to visit in April again where she will call more full cards when I am off calling jumps races.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:22 PM   #49
the little guy

I find it nearly impossible to believe that anyone that actually bets wouldn't bet a track because they didn't like their announcer. Just mute it. Seriously.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:30 PM   #50
myohmyjustify

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
eventually, there will be a major track in New England. i would guess that they will bring back Larry C. when that day ever comes. he already did a great job when Suffolk opened back up after a long hiatus. he followed other famous Suffolk announcers like Jim Hannon and Babe Rubenstein before Hannon.

Jess Paquette was nervous yesterday, she is also following great announcers before her. i am sure in a couple of months everyone will be happy with the good job that she will do. she just has to overcome the pressure she had on her shoulders yesterday.

Is Jessica Paquette the (grand-) daughter of Ida Paquette, who raced in Boston and at the fairs for many years, many years ago?
Old 11-16-2022, 09:47 PM   #51
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
I find it nearly impossible to believe that anyone that actually bets wouldn't bet a track because they didn't like their announcer. Just mute it. Seriously.
I find it hard to believe people are put in a position to fail. I find it hard to believe guys who sound like they've had bloody mary's for breakfast and 3 martini's for lunch iare allowed to speak on Americas Day At The the Races (hello Gary Stevens and Paul Lo Duca).
Old 11-16-2022, 09:56 PM   #52
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
I find it hard to believe people are put in a position to fail. I find it hard to believe guys who sound like they've had bloody mary's for breakfast and 3 martini's for lunch iare allowed to speak on Americas Day At The the Races (hello Gary Stevens and Paul Lo Duca).
Yup. Speaking of hiring people who should not be in the position they are in, look at NYRA’s lineup.

1) the aforementioned Lo Duca, a steroid user when he was a ball player.
2) a NHC cheat in Kinchen
3) a juice trainer “it was an accident” Amoss
4) the wife of a juice trainer, Tom Morley, who since his suspension doesn’t have his horses with the same “kick” that they did at Saratoga this summer
Old 11-16-2022, 10:16 PM   #53
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
The Beatles have a channel on SiriusXM......

How else do you watch TVG most days?

Last edited by Tom; 11-16-2022 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-17-2022, 06:18 AM   #54
Brisk Urging
Veteran

Have her call races on dark days.
Old 11-17-2022, 11:28 AM   #55
Brisk Urging
Veteran

Old 11-17-2022, 12:11 PM   #56
classhandicapper

Maybe I underrate the importance of the track announcer to fans, but I certainly don't underrate how hard the job is. IMO it's a very tough job. I know I couldn't do it. She's a bit green, but she'll probably improve. Just give her a chance. If in 6 months she's struggling then maybe she'd be better suited to another job in the industry, but imo it's way too quick to be calling for a change. She has a nice voice and she's not THAT bad.
Old 11-17-2022, 01:22 PM   #57
rosenowsr

I have no problem with the announcer, she'll get better.

What I liked was having someone walking around the paddock and other areas talking to trainers, jockeys and the hired help.
Old 11-17-2022, 02:04 PM   #58
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosenowsr View Post
I have no problem with the announcer, she'll get better.

What I liked was having someone walking around the paddock and other areas talking to trainers, jockeys and the hired help.
I mean, I would hope she gets better. It’s a low bar.

Is full time track announcer at a mid level track really the place to be playing “try out”?

Maybe she should have honed her craft in front of a tape recorder like hundreds of other broadcasters?
Old 11-17-2022, 02:17 PM   #59
jimmyb

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Maybe I underrate the importance of the track announcer to fans, but I certainly don't underrate how hard the job is. IMO it's a very tough job. I know I couldn't do it. She's a bit green, but she'll probably improve. Just give her a chance. If in 6 months she's struggling then maybe she'd be better suited to another job in the industry, but imo it's way too quick to be calling for a change. She has a nice voice and she's not THAT bad.
And maybe in 6 months I can become an astronaut. Announcers are like the singers of a band. Off key and no sense of tempo will make the band unlistenable. Typical of the powers that be in racing though … shut up and take what we give you…
Old 11-17-2022, 02:24 PM   #60
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsemenHeist View Post
Dani Jackson called some races at Turf Paradise last year and she is by far the best female caller I've ever heard, better than most male callers. A shame Parx was unable to find her if they were hiring based on gender.

I don't think Turf has their replays on Youtube, but check out the replays on January 20, and she did a great job.

She sounds pretty good, is she just a fill in?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: