Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 12-15-2022, 10:02 AM   #61
Half Smoke

1984 - NCAAB Championship

ferocious defender Michael Graham jams one with authority (great, great pic) as Georgetown ends Houston's run and turns Akeem the Dream's dream into a nightmare

Michael had a lot of problems and flunked out of Georgetown - but he'll always have this to remember and cherish

https://i.imgur.com/4iLEqG8.png

Last edited by Half Smoke; 12-15-2022 at 10:06 AM.
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-18-2022, 07:45 PM   #62
Half Smoke

Wilt vs. Kareem - has to be the greatest big man matchup of all time

so entertaining to watch these 2 go at each other

at 6:47 Wilt blocks 2 of Kareem's sky hooks in a row - nobody else ever blocked the sky hook

Last edited by Half Smoke; 12-18-2022 at 07:50 PM.
Old 12-26-2022, 04:42 AM   #63
Half Smoke

there was a player - quite a few years older than me - you might have heard of him - Bobby Lewis - he was a huge star at UNC with Larry Miller - he fizzled out in the NBA - he was a DC legend

anyway, this dude put on a dunking exhibition at Dematha basketball camp that I saw - it was unreal - he could fly

I remember - he banged the ball with 2 hands on the right side of the backboard - and then flew around to the left side and dunked it backwards - I've never seen anyone else do that

I know when I saw it happen my eyes got big and my mouth dropped open

and this is a 6'2" white guy - you just about never see little white guys doin' that kinna thing - truly incredible

there's Bobby on the right - #22 - with Dean Smith and Larry Miller - what a character he was - just about totally forgotten now

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2142/...c5e05196_o.jpg

Bobby Lewis - All American - 27 p.p.g. his junior year at UNC - that's way more point production than Michael Jordan had at UNC - not saying he was the equal of Michael Jordan - but still -

and exactly ZERO video of him out there on YT

that's so very, very wrong -

what a shame

Last edited by Half Smoke; 12-26-2022 at 04:48 AM.
Old 12-27-2022, 09:04 PM   #64
Inner Dirt

I followed sports at a young age, but don't recall Bobby Lewis. Why did he flame out in the NBA?
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-28-2022, 05:40 AM   #65
Half Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I followed sports at a young age, but don't recall Bobby Lewis. Why did he flame out in the NBA?

I don't really know the details -

but I would guess it had something to do with him being so small physically - I'll guess his weight at 155

the NBA - even back then - those dudes were really, really strong

Bobby was great, but not really strong

How great do you have to be to have people remember you______?

if you can be that great - as he was - and everybody forgot him - it's kinna sad to me

I guess there's just too many great players for all of them to be remembered

and of course, I'm biased - cause he's from my hometown - and I saw him do amazing stuff and had heard so much about what he could do

Last edited by Half Smoke; 12-28-2022 at 05:50 AM.
Old 12-28-2022, 03:45 PM   #66
ranchwest

My early memories of live Major League Baseball was seeing the Houston Colt .45s, who later became the Astros. The biggest name opponent I recall was Frank Robinson.

The Astros would later have some great players who were mostly closing out their careers… Nellie Fox, Eddie Mathews, Joe Morgan. All were still incredible infielders. Fox was the best I ever saw at turning a double play.
Old 12-28-2022, 07:02 PM   #67
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
My early memories of live Major League Baseball was seeing the Houston Colt .45s, who later became the Astros. The biggest name opponent I recall was Frank Robinson.

The Astros would later have some great players who were mostly closing out their careers… Nellie Fox, Eddie Mathews, Joe Morgan. All were still incredible infielders. Fox was the best I ever saw at turning a double play.

You have a couple years on me, I had to look up the Colt 45's, I was like one in their only year. I do remember another team that only played one season the 1969 Seattle Pilots. They moved to Milwaukee and became the Brewers.
I lived in the Mojave desert in SoCal back then, they always pretty much made sure the Angles and Dodgers alternated home stands, there was no lacking for baseball on the TV or radio. They still are the California Angeles to me. I refuse to say Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. The Angels left Los Angeles for Anaheim in 1966 and have been there ever since on the same patch of ground.
Old 12-28-2022, 07:06 PM   #68
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
You have a couple years on me, I had to look up the Colt 45's, I was like one in their only year. I do remember another team that only played one season the 1969 Seattle Pilots. They moved to Milwaukee and became the Brewers.
I lived in the Mojave desert in SoCal back then, they always pretty much made sure the Angles and Dodgers alternated home stands, there was no lacking for baseball on the TV or radio. They still are the California Angeles to me. I refuse to say Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. The Angels left Los Angeles for Anaheim in 1966 and have been there ever since on the same patch of ground.
The Colt .45s were around for longer than one year. I think three seasons.

Trivia question. Who was the first player to homer in the Astrodome (pre-season)?
Old 12-28-2022, 07:10 PM   #69
olddaddy

Quote:

Nellie Fox a hall of famer had 10,351 plate appearances and 216 strikeouts. Oh how the game has changed.
olddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2022, 04:37 AM   #70
Half Smoke

when Wes Unseld first came to the Baltimore Bullets he looked like he was carved out of mountain

take a gander at the shoulders on that dude

I fell kinna sorry for the college players at Louisville who had to match up against him - must have been brutal - he got 18 boards per game there

beginning from some time in the 60s - at just 6'7" - he was the shortest Center in the NBA that I can recall

https://i.imgur.com/FUKCXFr.png

random sports related thought for the day

worst team nicknames:

the Anaheim DUCKS

and the New Orleans PELICANS_________________yuck

Last edited by Half Smoke; 12-29-2022 at 04:39 AM.
Old 12-29-2022, 11:22 AM   #71
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Smoke View Post

when Wes Unseld first came to the Baltimore Bullets he looked like he was carved out of mountain

take a gander at the shoulders on that dude

I fell kinna sorry for the college players at Louisville who had to match up against him - must have been brutal - he got 18 boards per game there

beginning from some time in the 60s - at just 6'7" - he was the shortest Center in the NBA that I can recall

https://i.imgur.com/FUKCXFr.png

random sports related thought for the day

worst team nicknames:

the Anaheim DUCKS

and the New Orleans PELICANS_________________yuck

The Pelican is the Louisiana state bird. Still not as good as the New Orleans Jazz. But the Utah Jazz? That's absolutely the worst name ever.

Another bad inherited name is the Los Angeles Lakers, which was once the Minneapolis Lakers.
Old 12-29-2022, 11:26 AM   #72
ranchwest

Quote:

Trivia question. Who was the first player to homer in the Astrodome (pre-season)?
Nobody offered up a response to my trivia question. Answer: Mickey Mantle.
Old 12-29-2022, 11:30 AM   #73
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddaddy View Post
Nellie Fox a hall of famer had 10,351 plate appearances and 216 strikeouts. Oh how the game has changed.
Wow!

The days of the pure hitter seem to be gone. The two best I saw were Pete Rose and Tony Gwynn. Those guys seemed to be able to hit anything that was in the strike zone. I would have loved to see Ted Williams.
Old 12-29-2022, 11:40 AM   #74
Inner Dirt

Quote:

No chance on that for me, the only spring training games I followed were when the California Angels were in Palm Springs. They have been gone from there as long as they were there, first arrived in 1962, left in 1992. The minor league team moved in the same year also.
Old 12-30-2022, 04:54 AM   #75
Half Smoke

1966 - Willis Reed got mad and just about beat the **** out of the entire Lakers team - broke 2 jaws

Last edited by Half Smoke; 12-30-2022 at 04:56 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: