Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-26-2018, 11:52 AM   #556
Clocker

New reports indicate that the "cowardly" deputy may have been in contact with headquarters during the time he was standing outside the building. Could HQ have screwed up?

Quote:
But “Stoneman Douglas student Brandon Huff, 18, a senior, said he had seen Peterson standing outside the building and talking on his radio during the shooting,” according to reports in the Florida Sun-Sentinel and The New York Times.

The deputy appears to have been in constant radio contact with Israel’s Broward County Sheriff’s Office. Jim Bell, president of the Broward Sheriff’s Office Deputies Association, told reporters that Peterson thinks he followed protocol. “He believed he did a good job calling in the location, setting up the perimeter and calling in the description [of Cruz],” Bell told reporters.

So with all that radio communication between the Sheriff’s Office and Peterson at the school, are we really supposed to believe the first time Israel realized his deputy had never gone into the school was when he finally saw the surveillance tapes? Particularly now that Coral Springs Police have told CNN that they saw three more Broward County deputies taking cover outside the school when they arrived, and passed them going into the building?
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...up_136368.html
Old 02-26-2018, 12:08 PM   #557
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Court houses have criminals...and vigilante-types looking to do harm to these criminals...airports have terrorist concerns.

Schools usually don't have these types of people meandering through....

Most banks don't even have armed guards (that I can see anyway). Why do schools need this?

I'll ask again...how did we survive all these years without armed guards in schools...without locked doors on schools during school hours...how did we ever make it out alive?

What is really wrong with our society? It's not the guns, I'll tell you that.

Why do people refuse to want to examine the deeper issues involved here? They want to go for the easy fix...get rid of guns...post SWAT teams at every school...that's not going to solve anything long term.
I actually agree with most of what you are saying. But its happening too much NOW. The quickest short term is securing the schools. That's why schools need it. Plus, teachers and school personnel are not the likeliest fighting type.....just saying. If cops are backing down because some guy has the drop.....these people have no shot. These people are terrorist, they kill innocents. When Trump and the parents met at the Education Dept. one father was pissed. The shiny assed, bureaucrats spare no expense and have guards in the elevators. Its not a bank, an airport or a court house. But damn sure they cover their own asses. Not the kids?
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2018, 12:09 PM   #558
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
New reports indicate that the "cowardly" deputy may have been in contact with headquarters during the time he was standing outside the building. Could HQ have screwed up?

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...up_136368.html
So why was this deputy so quick to resign if he was in constant contact with HQ and basically following what they told him or the protocol he was taught?
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2018, 12:12 PM   #559
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy View Post
I actually agree with most of what you are saying. But its happening too much NOW. The quickest short term is securing the schools. That's why schools need it. Plus, teachers and school personnel are not the likeliest fighting type.....just saying. If cops are backing down because some guy has the drop.....these people have no shot. These people are terrorist, they kill innocents. When Trump and the parents met at the Education Dept. one father was pissed. The shiny assed, bureaucrats spare no expense and have guards in the elevators. Its not a bank, an airport or a court house. But damn sure they cover their own asses. Not the kids?
But schools are WAY MORE secure these days then they ever were in the past.

How secure was the school in Parkland? Do people have to be "buzzed in" during school hours?

How did this expelled student get in the door in the first place? Did he shoot out the locks? Shoot out windows? How did he get in?

Maybe the school was as open as my high school back in the late 80s?
Old 02-26-2018, 12:25 PM   #560
Clocker

Quote:
So why was this deputy so quick to resign if he was in constant contact with HQ and basically following what they told him or the protocol he was taught?
We don't know what happened, but every day there is more conflicting news and more evidence of a screwed up law enforcement agency.

The deputy was suspended indefinitely without pay, pending an investigation. Maybe he just didn't want to go through the BS, including an investigation led by what appears to be a butt-head boss. He probably figured at the very least his cushy job as school resource officer was gone, and at worst he would be the goat for the shooting deaths. He had his 30 years in and retired with a full pension.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:31 PM   #561
Clocker

The Broward sheriff says that the problem is that he doesn't have enough legal power. He says that a police officer should have the power to unilaterally put someone in a mental health institution.

Quote:
All that being said, what I'm asking the law makers to give police all over this country is more power. In Florida, we call it a Baker Act. It allows us to take an individual to be - - against their will, involuntarily to go to a mental facility and be treated.

What I'm saying is that if a police officer that we pay a good salary, to keep us safe, feels that the totality of circumstances, the computer, the bedroom, the picture, the photographs, speaking to their - - their friends. If we feel the totality of the circumstances rises to the level where we're concerned, this person might be mentally ill, we need the power to take every firearm they have away from them and bring them to a mental health facility.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/22/polit...ipt/index.html
Old 02-26-2018, 12:33 PM   #562
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
We don't know what happened, but every day there is more conflicting news and more evidence of a screwed up law enforcement agency.

The deputy was suspended indefinitely without pay, pending an investigation. Maybe he just didn't want to go through the BS, including an investigation led by what appears to be a butt-head boss. He probably figured at the very least his cushy job as school resource officer was gone, and at worst he would be the goat for the shooting deaths. He had his 30 years in and retired with a full pension.
So the deputy quit before or after he was suspended?
Old 02-26-2018, 12:33 PM   #563
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

President Trump on Monday claimed he would have run into a Florida high school to prevent a gunman from carrying out this month's mass shooting.

"I really believe I'd run in there even if I didn't have a weapon," Trump told a gathering of governors at the White House.

Source: thehill.com
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2018, 12:35 PM   #564
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike View Post
President Trump on Monday claimed he would have run into a Florida high school to prevent a gunman from carrying out this month's mass shooting.

"I really believe I'd run in there even if I didn't have a weapon," Trump told a gathering of governors at the White House.

Yeah, of course...his bone spurs must have cleared by now, right?
Old 02-26-2018, 12:38 PM   #565
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
So the deputy quit before or after he was suspended?
After being on suspension for one day, as I remember.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:04 PM   #566
FantasticDan
gelding

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...-without-a-gun

Quote:

FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2018, 01:15 PM   #567
mrhorseplayer

Quote:

key word Believe
mrhorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2018, 01:29 PM   #568
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, of course...his bone spurs must have cleared by now, right?
Careful, you're going to upset the Trump faithful.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:38 PM   #569
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Careful, you're going to upset the Trump faithful.
I doubt it...no reason to get upset
Old 02-26-2018, 01:52 PM   #570
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
I doubt it...no reason to get upset
Not sure, I'm expecting the "do you guys realize how debilitating and painful bones spurs can be?," from someone.