Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 02-15-2021, 12:38 PM   #16
Robert Fischer
clean money

Santa Cruiser - i'm of the opinion that he's a little out-classed here, but that he also is a bit better than he appears, especially if he can get into a race with some late flow.

unfortunately, a drop in class cancels a bunch of that value.

With this Risen Star race, where you had Senor Buscador wildly overbet, it wasn't really worth trying to get a horse up for 4th in a dime super. Just key Mandoulen or whatever his name and use with the 3 or 4 obvious contenders.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:06 PM   #17
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
I went down with Santa Cruiser also.
Needless to say, i was disappointed in his race as well.
I think he got a bad ride (again) on Saturday...he needs a jockey that will put him in the race early. He has the pace figs to be among the early leaders but Beschizza chose to settle off the pace. He was 4-5 wide on the first turn, which is death on a tight turning track like FG.
Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here, and this colt isn't much, but I'd love to see what he can do against Stakes runners if given the ride i think he needs.
Sadly though, i think his Derby trail ended over the weekend, and his connections may seek easier competition.
I agree.

It looks like those top few moved forward a bit anyway and it would have been tough for him even if he did get better position and save some ground. He was over 20-1. I can live with that bet.

I feel better about that one than the one I made in the Rachel Alexandra. I played Moon Swag to win and in exotics but not under the top 2 finishers.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 02-15-2021 at 02:08 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2021, 10:37 AM   #18
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Santa Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I tried to get the Santa Cruiser into the exotics. I was disappointed in his effort. He was well beaten by the top 3 finishers in his previous race, but he got squeezed at the start and dropped far back in that race on a track that may have been mildly biased towards horses that were up close early in a race that flowed heavily towards the front. I thought he'd be a lot closer early yesterday and finish among that top group. He had a wide trip, but I didn't see much else. I have to watch all the replays.
Guess who's entered in the Southwest Stks this weekend at Oaklawn?
He looks up against it once again, although it's encouraging that Desormeaux is pushing on with him instead of trying easier company.
He should be a good price if we still have faith
Old 02-25-2021, 11:09 AM   #19
the little guy

Quote:
He looks up against it once again, although it's encouraging that Desormeaux is pushing on with him instead of trying easier company.
Why is it encouraging that he continues to run this horse over its head?
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2021, 03:30 PM   #20
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Also rooting for Desormeaux's Santa Cruiser to keep improving.

Kind of a tough race for me to even make a fan bet on something like a bottom-Tri or Super... Only 7 entries, and two or three others who are a danger to make a belated move.

Decent field in terms of the chalks being worthy of some debate as to whether they are serious derby trail hopes. I don't have a great read of them yet TBH.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:16 PM   #21
classhandicapper

Quote:
It would be more encouraging if it was some other trainers (and I'll leave it at that ).

I didn't see much of an excuse for him in his last other than being wide. Last time I was just trying to get him into the exotics. I still think he's better than he looks, but this looks like an even tougher spot at the top.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 02-25-2021 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:12 PM   #22
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Why is it encouraging that he continues to run this horse over its head?
Heard that.
What I meant was that (as a stubborn fan of this colt who still thinks he can be a Stakes caliber runner) I was happy that he's still trying.
On the other hand, he looks like he's in a tougher spot here than he was at FG.
He gets Eramia up this time...a 3% jock so far

I'm not expecting much on Saturday (nobody is)
Old 02-25-2021, 11:02 PM   #23
the little guy

Quote:
Heard that.
What I meant was that (as a stubborn fan of this colt who still thinks he can be a Stakes caliber runner) I was happy that he's still trying.

Hang in there. Good chance you will be able to claim him by Summer:-)
Old 02-25-2021, 11:08 PM   #24
the little guy

Quote:
Heard that.

I just noticed he's owned by Calumet. It's not trainer confidence. It's owner overconfidence.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:10 PM   #25
classhandicapper

I'm a way bigger fan of trainers like Brown, Pletcher, Shug, Baffert, Cox etc... sticking with a horse and demonstrating confidence than some other trainers (and again I'll leave it at that). It could mean they've seen something in recent works that makes them think the aggressive spot is the right one. They are also competent enough to know. I think they'd also be more likely to influence an overly aggressive owner (as many are) to not run unless he was showing something in his works that encouraged them to do so.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 02-26-2021 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 05:09 PM   #26
Spalding No!

Quote:
I'm a way bigger fan of trainers like Brown, Pletcher, Shug, Baffert, Cox etc... sticking with a horse and demonstrating confidence than some other trainers (and again I'll leave it at that). It could mean they've seen something in recent works that makes them think the aggressive spot is the right one. They are also competent enough to know. I think they'd also be more likely to influence an overly aggressive owner (as many are) to not run unless he was showing something in his works that encouraged them to do so.
So you're saying you like Spielberg in this spot?
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2021, 06:02 PM   #27
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
It's funny you asked because I was just wondering that.

In this case, I think it's likely he's avoiding his own monsters back in CA. However, you would think he knew this was not going to be the typical Grade 3 easier spot for a horse like Spielberg. Maybe he thinks the potential monsters in this race are not as good as the monsters in his own barn he knows well. Either way, this looks like a tough spot for Spielberg to get a win even if he thinks the horse is going to run better than in his last start and still has upside.

I like Jackie's Warrior to turn the tables on Essential Quality because I think he's moving from a race where he was compromised by pace to one where he'll probably shake loose. But I don't see much value in either opinion because I don't totally hate EQ just because he had a good setup last out.

I don't know anything about this race that everyone else doesn't also know. Unless I come up with a very strong opinion for 3rd or there's a bias, I'll be watching this race as a fan.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 02-26-2021 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-27-2021, 06:41 PM   #28
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
Second money in a 750K race was worth the trip. Better than 3rd, 4th, or whatever in the San Felipe running against his 2 big horses out there.

I have to watch the replays for paths, but I thought that track was not particularly kind to speed all day.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:20 PM   #29
taxicab

Quote:
Second money in a 750K race was worth the trip. Better than 3rd, 4th, or whatever in the San Felipe running against his 2 big horses out there.

I have to watch the replays for paths, but I thought that track was not particularly kind to speed all day.
The wider the better @ Oaklawn right now.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: