Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #16
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldiatone View Post
daily news
That makes it look like they will keep racing which would be great. Not sure if there is that much space but really only on Belmont day is it crowded.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2017, 06:03 PM   #17
ldiatone

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
That makes it look like they will keep racing which would be great. Not sure if there is that much space but really only on Belmont day is it crowded.
this is what i thought viewing this pic

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2017, 07:00 PM   #18
HoofedInTheChest

Quote:
I was always under the impression that this would have no affect on the racing product, the Isles are just taking some of the parking lot real estate.

There will be a nice hotel overlooking the top of the stretch, it looks like they’re getting the best of both worlds.

HoofedInTheChest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2017, 07:56 PM   #19
dilanesp

I am at Madison Square Garden at the Rangers game, and they announced before the game that the Isles will be getting their new arena at Belmont Park.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2017, 07:58 PM   #20
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I am at Madison Square Garden at the Rangers game, and they announced before the game that the Isles will be getting their new arena at Belmont Park.
Cancel the press conference!
Old 12-19-2017, 08:22 PM   #21
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Whatchoo doin in the Devil's Land? Was warm today (by NY standards, was kinda windy) tomorrow your going to freeze your Golden State ass off. Enjoy your stay.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:26 PM   #22
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoofedInTheChest View Post
I was always under the impression that this would have no affect on the racing product, the Isles are just taking some of the parking lot real estate.

There will be a nice hotel overlooking the top of the stretch, it looks like they’re getting the best of both worlds.

I don't always follow hockey but when I do its the Islanders. Growing up they were invincible, 4titles in a row, met Clark Gilles at a signing at a local drug store-Genovese. Remember Trottier, the Potvins, and two awesome goalies.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:57 PM   #23
dilanesp

Quote:
Whatchoo doin in the Devil's Land? Was warm today (by NY standards, was kinda windy) tomorrow your going to freeze your Golden State ass off. Enjoy your stay.
LOL I love winters here.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-19-2017, 10:16 PM   #24
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoofedInTheChest View Post

I wouldn't count on the hotel. They said the same thing about Parx, when it was in the planning stage.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2017, 09:16 AM   #25
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

This idea is a bad one.
The NYRA jocks will get too confused and show up at the area instead of the track. Many of them ride like hockey players and the lure of the ice may be to much for them.
Old 12-20-2017, 11:43 AM   #26
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
This idea is a bad one.
The NYRA jocks will get too confused and show up at the area instead of the track. Many of them ride like hockey players and the lure of the ice may be to much for them.
I don't know about that... Irad Ortiz and Kenndrick Carmouch were each given 5 min majors and 10 min misconduct penalties for fighting, might spice some things up.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2017, 02:41 PM   #27
HoofedInTheChest

Team owner Jon Ledecky, who joined Gov. Andrew Cuomo, NHL president Gary “ratf*ck” Bettman and others for Wednesday's announcement, said the new $1 billion facility will include a hotel and retail space.

"This will be more than an arena," he said. "This site will be the home of economic development."

After a thorough review and evaluation process, the Belmont Park Redevelopment Selection Committee has conditionally designated the New York Arena Partners (“NYAP”) to redevelop up to 43 acres of property owned by the Franchise Oversight Board (“FOB”) at Belmont Park, located at 2150 Hempstead Turnpike Elmont, NY 11003, on two parking lots identified as Site A and Site B (collectively, the “Sites”).

NYAP proposes to build a mixed-use entertainment complex that will include an approximately 60,000-square foot, 18,000-seat multi-use arena that will be home to the New York Islanders; a 435,000-square foot retail, dining and entertainment village; a 193,000-square foot hotel; and 10,000 square feet of offices and parking (see Proposed Site Plan attached). The proposed project and any contractual documentation remain subject to all public approval processes as required by law, including but not limited to review by the ESD Directors.

During the press conference, they said it will be an investment of $1 billion by New York Arena Partners, creating 300,000 construction jobs, 31,000 permanent jobs. There are a lot of partners involved, and promises.

NYAP will invest $1 billion in private money to build the arena, hotels, retail, dining options and community facility use.
HoofedInTheChest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-20-2017, 06:18 PM   #28
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambletonian View Post
The land ...............
Considering very few people attend live racing...moving the whole shebang out into the country, financed by the redevelopment of Belmont and Aqueduct, allowing for enough ontrack stabling and a dual facility for both breeds, would probably be in everyone's best interest. Build an enclosed grandstand for 5000 folks, and make the ontrack facility the most technologically advanced one ever devised.
I like your idea but think it's a little belated. How far would you have to go away from NYC to get land cheap enough to make it economically feasible? Pretty far I would think. And the farther you go, the less attendance you'd have. Are people going to drive a long way to see a horse race these days? Saratoga has good attendance but there's plenty to do in that area, in the summer.

I think the Belmont location is the best. Knock it down, put in a new hockey stadium and a track that would fit 25 thousand.

Last edited by Redboard; 12-20-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2017, 07:59 AM   #29
alhattab

Quote:
The backyard looks like it will get overtaken by the retail sites, which will abut the paddock and walking ring. The paddock and walking ring themselves appear to be untouched. There is plenty of space at Belmont so can reposition the backyard (maybe to the "frontyard"). Only negative with that is in that on cool fall days it can be a lot warmer in the south-facing backyard than on the frontside.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-21-2017, 01:20 PM   #30
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhattab View Post
The backyard looks like it will get overtaken by the retail sites, which will abut the paddock and walking ring. The paddock and walking ring themselves appear to be untouched. There is plenty of space at Belmont so can reposition the backyard (maybe to the "frontyard"). Only negative with that is in that on cool fall days it can be a lot warmer in the south-facing backyard than on the frontside.
Whatever they do, they better make sure they still have that backyard experience available. On nice days, that's where everyone is.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: