Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 03-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #151
Jay Trotter
CHEESEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk
Leaf fan here.

condolences

Jim Schoenfeld
Jay Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2013, 07:36 AM   #152
Jay Trotter
CHEESEY

Looks like the Oilers have finally started to get their act together. Could still be dangerous if they can snag a playoff spot.

Jim Schoenfeld
Old 03-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #153
Rookies
Canadian since 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Trotter

condolences

If you win it, they will come. Oh, they most assuredly will come Jay! In the millions and all well behaved, unlike the normal post title celebration in the U.S.

I was at both of these, the second after watching Joe crank it out off the Wild Thang! Been 20 years. Time to do it again- at least in Baseball!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iKAfdTSEN4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHUnE0vrDcw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdMHja2tk8I
Rookies is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-31-2013, 01:24 PM   #154
HoofedInTheChest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Trotter
Looks like the Oilers have finally started to get their act together. Could still be dangerous if they can snag a playoff spot.
Trotter, put down the bong, it's affecting your thinking.
HoofedInTheChest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #155
ceejay

John Tavares Quietly Making Case for Hart Trophy

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/14/sp...=tw-share&_r=0

If (and that's a big if) the Islanders make the playoffs Taveras could make a case for MVP. You can easily make the case that he is more valuable to his team than the other contenders are to their team.
Quote:
So dependent are they on Tavares that, through Friday, their record when he scored at least a point was 19-6-1; when he didn’t, it was 2-10-3.
ceejay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #156
ldiatone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay

If (and that's a big if) the Islanders make the playoffs Taveras could make a case for MVP. You can easily make the case that he is more valuable to his team than the other contenders are to their team.
not disagreing w/ you or the article, but i don't think he'll get it. i don't think Crosby(missed last several games) will either. maybe stamkos or toewes.

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #157
HoofedInTheChest

After giving it some thought, i can't think of anybody that has had an impact on his team like Tavares has, just another Mississauga boy done good.

It looks like Trotter will be cheering for the Leafs tonight, for the first time in his life! Their record is not good on consecutive nights, you better hope Lupul makes his return tonight.

Here's a little tidbit for you to digest. Just use the scroll bar to find your Jets.

http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/rankings/nhl/

Are you still holding on to that Oilers pipedream? It seems management has other plans...
HoofedInTheChest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #158
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

The Caps have sure turned it on lately.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2013, 05:57 PM   #159
ldiatone

[QUOTE=cj]The Caps have sure turned it on lately.[/QUOTEv
OV has played well. i think the tongue lashing milbury gave him on tv lite the fire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aicwKSikBeM

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #160
Jay Trotter
CHEESEY

ONLY TO BREAK THE HEARTS OF LEAF NATION YET AGAIN

Jim Schoenfeld
Old 04-17-2013, 11:48 PM   #161
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

[QUOTE=ldiatone]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
The Caps have sure turned it on lately.[/QUOTEv
OV has played well. i think the tongue lashing milbury gave him on tv lite the fire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aicwKSikBeM
I believe Ovechkin's turnaround had little to do with Milbury.

It has everything to do with learning a new system, AND, having the trust of your coach. Remember that it takes a complete team to play well, and everyone else also had to learn the new system instituted by Adam Oates.

The hockey season started late and without reasonable time for training camps, so it was learning on the fly.

It is clear the players have bought in to the current system, and that team chemistry is currently high. The CAPS have not yet secured a playoff spot, but with just 5 games to go, I like their chances.

C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS!
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #162
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay

He's been really good, but even NYC sports media is barely paying attention. Team's been too bad for too long, though he's helped start to turn that around. Got tickets for the preseason game at Barclays next season and it looks like they are going to do an outside game at Yankee Stadium next year as well. Looking good for the playoffs this year too, so hoping to get at least a game in there too.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #163
jdhanover

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
He's been really good, but even NYC sports media is barely paying attention. Team's been too bad for too long, though he's helped start to turn that around. Got tickets for the preseason game at Barclays next season and it looks like they are going to do an outside game at Yankee Stadium next year as well. Looking good for the playoffs this year too, so hoping to get at least a game in there too.
As a lifelong Islanders fan, I have to agreee!!! Really, an MVP is a guy who means a ton to the team. Without Tavares, the Isles are nowhere. Without crosby the Pens are still top team in the East.

And why is Capuano not even mentioned for Coach of the Year. Takes team that last year was the worst with pre-season predictions the same for this year. Barely any personnel changes. And team could finish as high as 5th. I dont get how he doesnt even get mentioned. Yeah, the media etc, but someone should notice.

Of course these awards are more popularity contests than 'real'. IMO
jdhanover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #164
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhanover
As a lifelong Islanders fan, I have to agreee!!! Really, an MVP is a guy who means a ton to the team. Without Tavares, the Isles are nowhere. Without crosby the Pens are still top team in the East.

And why is Capuano not even mentioned for Coach of the Year. Takes team that last year was the worst with pre-season predictions the same for this year. Barely any personnel changes. And team could finish as high as 5th. I dont get how he doesnt even get mentioned. Yeah, the media etc, but someone should notice.

Of course these awards are more popularity contests than 'real'. IMO
They certainly seemed to find some pieces the last couple months. Really had no hope for them to make the playoffs when the season started and the only line that seemed to be able to do anything was with Tavares and Moulson. Now they seem to have three lines that can be productive, especially with Okposo, who has been plying very well. I still feel their defense is a little suspect. Nabokov plays a solid goal but he doesn't always seem to be in sync with the defenders, thus the large number of goals against. I think if they can make it up to 6th they have a chance to move on as they have matched up very well with the Caps. Those two awful losses against Carolina really hurt right now as far as positioning.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #165
jdhanover

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
They certainly seemed to find some pieces the last couple months. Really had no hope for them to make the playoffs when the season started and the only line that seemed to be able to do anything was with Tavares and Moulson. Now they seem to have three lines that can be productive, especially with Okposo, who has been plying very well. I still feel their defense is a little suspect. Nabokov plays a solid goal but he doesn't always seem to be in sync with the defenders, thus the large number of goals against. I think if they can make it up to 6th they have a chance to move on as they have matched up very well with the Caps. Those two awful losses against Carolina really hurt right now as far as positioning.
Yeah, those CAR losses sting.

I thought the D was the weak spot...but the last 10 ganmes i think they have given up 14 goals, no game more than 2. That is hard to do. Tough test tonight in Toronto. We'll see how the boys do. It's been a fun run though. first time in a looooong time. Same can be said for Toronto
jdhanover is offline   Reply With Quote Reply