Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-30-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
Bob S.

Quality Road

Quality Road is the 2014 Leading Freshman Sire. What made him so good and where does his future take him?

http://regalbloodlines.com/2014/12/3...freshman-sire/
Bob S. is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
bisket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S.
Quality Road is the 2014 Leading Freshman Sire. What made him so good and where does his future take him?

I loved his breeding, and thought he could be a great one. Of course he acquired hoof problems, and then Pletcher got a hold of him. QR was breathing fire while he was at Gulfstream prior to the Derby. When he raced under Pletcher later that year in New York his demeanor was completely different. He looked unsure of himself on the track. I just think Pletcher has a certain way he trains his runners and it didn't bring out the best in QR. Pletcher always trained him to be rated. I think most times that's what's best. I think in Quality Road's case it gelded him... he wanted to be the stud and the boss of the herd. LOL he still won some big races while not being able to show his best... I liked the Strawberry Road Mare over Elusive Quality. I just thought it made a nice combination. It gave a horse with Quality Roads speed more points in the classic aptitude in Dr. Romans breeding theory. Which is a rarity. He didn't need to be restrained. He just needed to be taught to relax on the lead instead of being trained to stalk.... He will produce some great horses...
bisket is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2014, 08:56 PM   #3
sandpit

He had the anomaly of Hootenanny winning the BC Juvy Turf, which really boosted his progeny earnings.
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2014, 10:15 AM   #4
Bob S.

Hootenanny may have been an anomaly, but no other Freshman Sire came close to producing a superstar 2-year-old the likes of him.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpit
He had the anomaly of Hootenanny winning the BC Juvy Turf, which really boosted his progeny earnings.
not sure if winning a big money race is an anomaly, everyone had a chance to enter and win. Hootenanny is a really good horse and Quality Road is a really good sire.

He deserves number one First crop sire.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
biggestal99

Quote:

Bob,
good article, one quibble however, Blofeld hasn't run on grass or synthetic, so we really don't know if he prefers dirt, Synthetic or Grass.

His third dam is Minstrella who won g1's in Europe on grass.

Blofeld could be exactly like quality road, never races on the grass because he's so good on dirt.

Allan
Old 12-31-2014, 12:33 PM   #7
Bob S.

Thank you Allan. I agree-he could be a better runner on the lawn. We probably won't know for a while, if we ever do.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:27 AM   #8
biggestal99

Final totals for first crop sires

quality road 44 starter 18 winners $1,572,480
super saver 57 starter 16 winners $1,547,113

Quality road had the winner in the 5th at GP Starry road $24, whilst the best SS could do was a chalky 3rd in Laurel's first yesterday.

Allan
Old 01-01-2015, 01:55 PM   #9
Bob S.

They were neck and neck. Here is an article I did on Super Saver some months back.

http://regalbloodlines.com/2014/08/0...r-derby-champ/
Old 01-05-2015, 07:57 AM   #10
Bob S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisket
I loved his breeding, and thought he could be a great one. Of course he acquired hoof problems, and then Pletcher got a hold of him. QR was breathing fire while he was at Gulfstream prior to the Derby. When he raced under Pletcher later that year in New York his demeanor was completely different. He looked unsure of himself on the track. I just think Pletcher has a certain way he trains his runners and it didn't bring out the best in QR. Pletcher always trained him to be rated. I think most times that's what's best. I think in Quality Road's case it gelded him... he wanted to be the stud and the boss of the herd. LOL he still won some big races while not being able to show his best... I liked the Strawberry Road Mare over Elusive Quality. I just thought it made a nice combination. It gave a horse with Quality Roads speed more points in the classic aptitude in Dr. Romans breeding theory. Which is a rarity. He didn't need to be restrained. He just needed to be taught to relax on the lead instead of being trained to stalk.... He will produce some great horses...
You're right-all that was needed was to teach him to relax on the lead-he somehow may have been even a more dominant horse.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:09 AM   #11
1st time lasix

Quote:
You're right-all that was needed was to teach him to relax on the lead-he somehow may have been even a more dominant horse.
Based on my memories of him....... I thought Quality road was a "head case"....not sure he could be "taught" anything!
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2015, 07:49 AM   #12
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Pletcher tried to teach him to rate, and the result was a dismal BC run. Sometimes you have to let speed horses be speed horses. It's a weapon, after all.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-06-2015, 12:11 PM   #13
Frost king

Only a couple of trainers have figured that part out. Baffert and Lukas have never had a problem in just letting them run.
Frost king is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2015, 09:44 AM   #14
Bob S.

This is very true. Why not just let them run; for many this is the style that fits them. Look at Take Charge Brandi for example. They tried to rate her and she failed.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: