Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-18-2020, 05:51 PM   #1
Sea Hero

Drayden Van Dyke seriously overrated

In the Van Dyke spotted the field the four lengths on a front runner/presser, took the horse six paths wide on the turn, let it drift out another four paths into the stretch, then let it wander all over the track in the last eighth, while never using the whip, to lose by a nose, where it should have won by four or five lengths. It was an arrogant, overconfident ride. Miyadi should be furious.

Yes, I had the horse bet. I expect a rider to actually give a horse a decent ride. In Van Dyke's case, now I know better.
Sea Hero is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2020, 05:53 PM   #2
GMB@BP

dang, when I logged in I saw "Drayden Van Dyke Seriously" and then it cut off and I did not think it was going to be a thread about a young kid not being all that good.

thank god.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2020, 06:07 PM   #3
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Hero View Post
In the Van Dyke spotted the field the four lengths on a front runner/presser, took the horse six paths wide on the turn, let it drift out another four paths into the stretch, then let it wander all over the track in the last eighth, while never using the whip, to lose by a nose, where it should have won by four or five lengths. It was an arrogant, overconfident ride. Miyadi should be furious.

Yes, I had the horse bet. I expect a rider to actually give a horse a decent ride. In Van Dyke's case, now I know better.
I feel your pain....along with my own. I was all over him.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:42 PM   #4
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I'd recommend watching the head on. The horse looked to be hard to control. First he was trying to get out on the turn, then in the stretch he kept lugging in.

I'm not sure what you are talking with the whip, he used it several times in the stretch to try to keep from getting in to no avail, and the last time he had no room to whip late in the race. He certainly couldn't hit him right handed given the way the horse was moving.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2020, 11:01 PM   #5
the little guy

Are we discussing Lieutenant Dan in the 5th?

If so....what did he do wrong? The horse was lugging in and hung...and he used the whip.

Did I watch the wrong race?

He also could not have had the lead in that race and actually worked out a great trip. Spotted the field?
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2020, 03:18 AM   #6
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Hero View Post

thanks for pointing this out. it was not the jockey but the horse. its very easy to correct the lugging in business with a change of bit, maybe a ring bit. the trainer should be able to get this thing right next time out at a great price.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2020, 02:58 AM   #7
clicknow

So this jockey is over-rated because you didn't like the ride he gave a horse you bet on?

Not sure I'd call somebody who gets 13th in earnings or even 21st in earnings *over-rated*--most people never succeed to that level, in anything they do.

Ranked 21st by Earnings - 2019

Ranked 95th by Wins - 2019

Ranked 13th by Earnings - 2018

Ranked 48th by Wins - 2018

Ranked 40th by Earnings - 2017

Ranked 46th by Earnings - 2016

Ranked 41st by Earnings - 2015

Ranked 31st by Earnings - 2014

Ranked 23rd by Wins - 2014

Basically, your topic title is a little over-the-top

Last edited by clicknow; 01-20-2020 at 03:06 AM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2020, 05:31 PM   #8
theiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
So this jockey is over-rated because you didn't like the ride he gave a horse you bet on?

Not sure I'd call somebody who gets 13th in earnings or even 21st in earnings *over-rated*--most people never succeed to that level, in anything they do.

+1
theiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2020, 06:57 PM   #9
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post

Come on, this stuff is silly. Yes, he could be overrated since isn't that high up on the rung of elite jockeys. I already gave my opinion of this specific ride, but I pretty sure Drayden will be ok without you defending him by posting a bunch of stats that don't prove much of anything.

It is a discussion board. Trainers, jockeys, bettors, owners, etc. all take some lumps here at times.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2020, 09:51 PM   #10
GMB@BP

Most riders suck!

signed,

every message board having to do with betting on horse racing

i dont think stats, accomplishments, etc etc is every going to change the nature of feeling that you lost because someone else did something you didnt agree with.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-21-2020, 02:27 AM   #11
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Most riders suck!

signed,

every message board having to do with betting on horse racing

Not just forums though.

Yes, sometimes a horse gets a bad ride. To be honest, I tend to have a lot more respect for the "skillsets" of jockeys in the Top 50 than most people I guess. Thinking about what it takes to get there.

Sometimes, what the eyes see is not anything close to what the jockey "feels" under him. That is something that's important I think.

OTOH, I love standing on the main floor at Oaklawn, watching people cursing even the best riders because they had to tear up a ticket. This is a 100x a day occurence (esp. with the ones who don't cash often.....blaming instead of reviewing where you might have picked wrong usually leads to more losing, IMHO) .

I actually think it's sort funny.

Last edited by clicknow; 01-21-2020 at 02:28 AM.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:35 AM   #12
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
It is a discussion board. Trainers, jockeys, bettors, owners, etc. all take some lumps here at times.
So do posters.

We all take our lumps, too.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:50 PM   #13
hopbet

Lieutenant Dan

When I originally started looking/reading comments in this thread, there was conflicting points of view on why Lieutenant Dan lost his LAST race (some blamed the Jockey ,some thought the horse had issue(s)). Today the trainer switched the horse to TURF and kept the same JOCKEY. The race in the PP'S for me was at GOLDEN GATE on 23 Mar 19 , 5 1/2 ALL WEATHER against OPEN , today's race was CAL BRED specific.

HOPBET
hopbet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-22-2020, 11:12 PM   #14
dilanesp

I don't know about Van Dyke, but Flavien Prat is seriously underrated.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-25-2020, 10:50 AM   #15
airford1

YES
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply