Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 11-30-2019, 06:02 PM   #1
Sea Hero

Del Mar race 7 Sat 11-30-19

This is more of a non-play than a play.

#6 Classy Ruler is the 5-1 second favorite, behind the customary hammered Baffert first starter (in this case, Golden Principal). The horse has the action of a router and is probably misplaced here. If Classy Ruler wins, it will need to be on its own courage. I expect Shirreffs is out to give the horse some experience here, before sending it out in a route race later, where it should probably be bet. Players who have access to a betting exchange might want to lay Classy Ruler today.

I don't by any means endorse Baffert's horse.
Sea Hero is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-30-2019, 06:08 PM   #2
Sea Hero

The horse didn't beat the Baffert odds-on, but it was certainly moving well. As stated, Classy Ruler has the action of a router and should be marked down as a horse to watch for when it gets entered into a longer race.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:26 PM   #3
Sea Hero

The horse raced again today, going off at the absurd price of 2/5, with $25,000 bet on it when the pool opened.

Having seen its race, I won't play the horse again until it shows that it can win a race. Classy Ruler was sent to the lead, balked, then pulled, then balke when it got close, until Smith put it into a tracking position. I know what that means, and the stretch drive confirmed it. The horse had a full eighth of a mile to make up a length and a half on a horse who was pushed the entire race. It got to within a neck and never tried to go past. It looks like one of those types that will pass every horse except the final one, meaning that it will only win if it happens to run into a badly quitting front runner close to the wire. I would be very wary of playing this horse until it proves that it can win.
Old 01-05-2020, 05:30 PM   #4
Michael

something like 88k on the nose.... I love watching the tote board for stuff like this.

I always wonder who in the world is betting such huge sums of money.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2020, 05:40 PM   #5
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Hero View Post
The horse raced again today, going off at the absurd price of 2/5, with $25,000 bet on it when the pool opened.

Having seen its race, I won't play the horse again until it shows that it can win a race. Classy Ruler was sent to the lead, balked, then pulled, then balke when it got close, until Smith put it into a tracking position. I know what that means, and the stretch drive confirmed it. The horse had a full eighth of a mile to make up a length and a half on a horse who was pushed the entire race. It got to within a neck and never tried to go past. It looks like one of those types that will pass every horse except the final one, meaning that it will only win if it happens to run into a badly quitting front runner close to the wire. I would be very wary of playing this horse until it proves that it can win.
Think you nailed it, Sea Hero. From the 16th on, Classy Ruler was behind a neck--and seemed to just refuse to pass the winner, just maintained that neck gap to the line.

-NCG
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2020, 08:55 PM   #6
jay68802

Typical maiden learning how to race. Keep stretching this one out and it will be really good.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply