Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #1
LemonSoupKid

What determines the mandatory payout date of these pick 6 wagers?

Is it just a steward or racing association decision? It's funny, apart from reviewing races I don't know what the "stewards" actually do.

Do they monitor the carryovers and say, ok, it's time to pay this whole bad boy out, just because it feels right?

Just wondering since those two at SA and Gulfstream came up within a week of each other; I think it was decided early in the week that in fact Saturday would pay it out if no one hit the single rainbow ticket on the lead up days.
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2019, 12:53 PM   #2
davew

some states have it written in the racing commission rules
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
Ocala Mike

For NYRA it has always been tied to the different "meetings" as set up in their yearly schedule and approved by the State.

For 2018, this was:

Aqueduct Winter 1 (Start 1/1)
Belmont Spring/Summer
Saratoga Summer
Belmont Fall
Aqueduct Winter 2 (End 12/31)

The last day of racing for each of those meetings would have been a mandatory payout day. I assume nothing has changed for 2019. The Saratoga Summer meet will have the same 40 racing days spread over 8 weeks instead of 6-1/2.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-11-2019, 04:31 PM   #4
LemonSoupKid

yes, but not end of meet for these

Gulfstream is still running, so is Santa Anita; these are the two that have had non-last day racing mandatory payouts from what I recall, the last few years, and the last two Saturdays. That's what I'm getting at here, who decides and why? Is there a pot tripping point of like 2 million or something?
Old 02-11-2019, 08:22 PM   #5
MonmouthParkJoe

I’m sure they petitioned their respective racing commissions to have the force out. 100 percent a business decision, and strategic. Most of the mega gulfstream mandatories have been after 35-40 days of carryover.

Forcing these out and letting them build again creates more of a return than letting it build to something huge. At some point there is very little chance of a single ticket, so forceout and reload. At this point they may let it build to Florida Derby weekend assuming it’s not hit
MonmouthParkJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2019, 10:04 AM   #6
LemonSoupKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonmouthParkJoe View Post
I’m sure they petitioned their respective racing commissions to have the force out. 100 percent a business decision, and strategic. Most of the mega gulfstream mandatories have been after 35-40 days of carryover.

Forcing these out and letting them build again creates more of a return than letting it build to something huge. At some point there is very little chance of a single ticket, so forceout and reload. At this point they may let it build to Florida Derby weekend assuming it’s not hit

Thanks. That sounds about right, and it is a smart move. Heck, I've played into those pools just because it's fun and smart for a player. The rainbow, as Beyer has otherwise, talked about, is another crazy tax on a player trying to hit something that's already really tough to hit. I'm tracking my pick 6 strategies and losses right now just to see how long it takes in between hits. I've hit the pick 5 multiple times over a few tracks the last 3 years, and typically this has been a promotional wager (most have introduced it at 10-15% take) that has stuck around; also a $.50 minimum. I've only hit the pick 6 once in that time --- it was a nice feeling though. I've almost shied away entirely from pick 4s because although cheaper (.50 and fewer legs) it has like a 24% take. A lot of people play into it, which is both good and bad ... seems like the extra leg to 5 is a sweet spot in the payout, the number of players, and the take to me ...

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: