Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-12-2019, 11:01 AM   #16
RunForTheRoses

I think this is great and hope it remains after this year. The post-July 4th Belmont Meet kinda peters out.

The five day week will be great not just for the horses but the track employees, just looking at many workers it has to be a grind six days a week especially when there are many days with more than 9 or even 10 races. It will be great for horse players as well.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2019, 12:19 PM   #17
castaway01

It sounds like it's largely positive. Field size benefits, those of us not at the track get high-quality racing for another week...even for those who have to rent a house for another week at megabucks in Saratoga, that's a positive for those renting and for local businesses....seems like a win all around.

Now if someone can stop the rain, we'll be set.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2019, 05:31 PM   #18
sour grapes
Veteran

nyra fall meet

looks like its still at belmont with addition of 3 yo turf triple crown series slated for belmont in september with the final mile and half race of the series.
sour grapes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2019, 12:36 PM   #19
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkchop View Post
Saw a headline this morning that Saratoga season to open July 11th. Lets hope they are able to fill the extra races with some 4 yr old 10000 claimers non winners of four lifetime that should improve New York Racing . Maybe they will have Finger Lakes Shipper day .
There won't be any "extra races"...The meeting is still the same number of days. My sources local to the area, stated that track will be dark Monday and Tuesday.
I think this is a good idea. Monday was perhaps the least attended of the 6 days. And quite frankly, from a standpoint of plant and track maintenance, it gives the staff nearly 2 and half days to work on the racing surfaces and clean up the grounds.
With 6 days per week of racing, the place takes a pounding
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #20
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
2000 Saratoga residents are updating their AirBNB listings today.

Mo money.
I know a hotel manager in Saratoga. He has said he had run some numbers.
With weekends being essentially three days ( Saturday thru Monday) many lodging establishments were booking for Friday thru Sunday night.
With Monday being a dark day, he predicted a fall off in three day bookings.
He said prices would probably have to be adjusted upward to make up for the lost revenue from Sunday evening stays.
He said it will work itself out.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:42 PM   #21
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
This is so unusually dumb that I unfortunately need to respond.

By stretching the same forty days we have run for around a decade to 54 days, from 46 days, means the horse population will be able to run around 2.3 times a meet, as opposed to roughly twice, over the same amount of races. This shouldn't be overly difficult to understand. This means with a horse population of a conservative 1500, you could get 450 more starts, which could increase field size by more than one horse per race.

But, hey, it's easier to take dopey shots on message boards....right?

Once again, your acerbic wit has me cracking up!!!!
Old 02-14-2019, 11:07 PM   #22
pandy

I'm glad they're not racing on Mondays this year. I would imagine that many people who work in racing or for NYRA will also appreciate the extra dark day. If I was working up there for the meet, Monday would be my day at the lake, beautiful Lake George.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-18-2019, 11:52 PM   #23
ultracapper

I haven't noticed the Bing Crosby meet devaluing the DelMar summer meet in any way, and I can't believe going dark a few extra Mondays is going to effect the aura of Saratoga.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 10:15 AM   #24
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
I haven't noticed the Bing Crosby meet devaluing the DelMar summer meet in any way, and I can't believe going dark a few extra Mondays is going to effect the aura of Saratoga.
The Crosby meet is its own little thing, but when Del Mar tried to extend its summer season back in the 1960's, it really did hurt them and they cut it back.

I should, however, mention that there is a reasonable argument that the Crosby meet is hurting at least the live attendance of the summer meet. They are down a fair amount from their peak.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #25
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
The Crosby meet is its own little thing, but when Del Mar tried to extend its summer season back in the 1960's, it really did hurt them and they cut it back.

I should, however, mention that there is a reasonable argument that the Crosby meet is hurting at least the live attendance of the summer meet. They are down a fair amount from their peak.
Call me stupid, but I am probably at the tipping point where I enjoy the fall meet more than the summer meet.
elhelmete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-19-2019, 12:47 PM   #26
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Call me stupid, but I am probably at the tipping point where I enjoy the fall meet more than the summer meet.
I like the fall meet more than I thought I would. I just live too far away.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2019, 09:07 AM   #27
Suff
Beat up 💪

Report: Belmont Park Arena Project Delayed; Extended Environmental Review In The Work

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 02-25-2019 at 09:54 AM.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 09:45 AM   #28
sour grapes
Veteran

is the construction delayed

the board still shows 2nd qtr of 2019
sour grapes is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2019, 09:58 AM   #29
Suff
Beat up 💪

libn

https://libn.com/2019/02/21/belmont-...to-be-delayed/
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2019, 09:37 PM   #30
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

I'm OK with having two dark days per week, as long as the number of races is the same for the meet. What's the sense of five days with 11 races per day, instead of six days with 9 races?

I've been there for many Mondays and enjoyed the extra space to move around.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: